Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Fitted Relentless Manifold

3rd Gear

Status

Fitted Relentless Manifold

To say it is a nightmare of a job is an understatement. Managed to do it with the head on only to find when I started the car it was blowing from the flange that mates to the head. Yes new gaskets were used etc. So now I'm gonna have to take it all apart again and get the flange skimmed so it sits flush. Never again.......
    B5 v1 Tip, B5 Exhaust Manifold, Beach Buggy Hybrid, Pipewerx D.P and cat bypass, Miltek resonated cat back, AH Fabs v2 Intercooler, S2000 Filter, 83mm 9.5:1 CP Pistons, Brute Rods, Bosch 550cc Injectors, Oil Catch can, N249 delete, B5 Phenolic Gasket, Devils Own Water Meth Kit, Forge baffled sump.
    H&R Springs, Koni FSD Shocks, s3dave's rear tie bars, R32 ARB's, LCR Brembo's, 18" ttrs alloys, replaced all suspension bushes, 15/20mm spacers front/rear, Vibratechnics Engine Mounts.

2. # ADS
    ADS

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    oooo, not nice.
    good luck with it though.
    people did say 'head off'

3rd Gear

Status
    Yeah I dont think it is necessary to take the head off. Just means more work involved in doing it that way, although in hindsight...
    I could'nt believe it. 9hrs fitting, at least I know exactly how to go about it now, so should'nt take as long.
    B5 v1 Tip, B5 Exhaust Manifold, Beach Buggy Hybrid, Pipewerx D.P and cat bypass, Miltek resonated cat back, AH Fabs v2 Intercooler, S2000 Filter, 83mm 9.5:1 CP Pistons, Brute Rods, Bosch 550cc Injectors, Oil Catch can, N249 delete, B5 Phenolic Gasket, Devils Own Water Meth Kit, Forge baffled sump.
    H&R Springs, Koni FSD Shocks, s3dave's rear tie bars, R32 ARB's, LCR Brembo's, 18" ttrs alloys, replaced all suspension bushes, 15/20mm spacers front/rear, Vibratechnics Engine Mounts.

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Gutted for ya mate. What version of manifold is it?
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

3rd Gear

Status
    V2

2nd Gear

Status
    You need to cut one or two of the manifold studs down as they contact the runners and don't allow it to sit flush against the head.
    They're not too bad to fit on 2wd cars but on an S3 what a nightmare! I feel your pain mate!

3rd Gear

Status
    Do you know which studs? It all seemed to fit ok no clearance issues besides heatshields etc. In fact I would be certain there were no studs touching any of the runners.

5th Gear

Status
    Lol your braver than me! I wouldn't attempt that mate

2nd Gear

Status

On the 8 studs on the top row it's numbers 2 and 7 that require you to chop the stud down. It's easy to see the issue when fitting with the head off, with the head on its impossible to see anything as you know lol.

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    yup, I agree totally, that'll almost certainly be the blow.

Studs 2 and 7 on the top row WILL hit the runners, and stop the flange from sealing down onto the head.

This wasn't an issue on the V1, and only effects the V2. Doesn't look like it'll effect the V3 either due to different angles.

Sadly, now it's on, the only way to get the studs out is to remove the whole turbo and manifold. then use two nuts to whip the studs out, trim 4-5mm off them, and refit it all with a new gasket.

I've not seen a v2 with a warped flange yet, I'd say it's almost certainly those two studs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

2nd Gear

Status

Get it fitted and get it glowing!

come fly with me

Status
    Hot stuff
    <Jay A3 build thread>

241bhp K03s - R Tech

5th Gear

Status
    Literly. Any notable gains across the rev range.?

5th Gear

Status
    Yea the two bolts in subject are the hard ones to get to,if both are loose would blow,they are hard to do up,as i did'nt take my head of,a bent open spanner did the job for me,just took age.not fun,i would'nt want to do one again.Keep positive,you could tighten up even more the stainless would bend,but would damage the mani slightly,and it makes it harder to get onto.good luck.

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

3rd Gear

Status
    Left to right?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishDave View Post
    Left to right?
    You'd be better,doing them up oposite's.and what i said bout doing them up with it hitting the mani,sounds like bodging it,just a thought rather than taking it of again,only reson i went through the same thing and,before i knew the studs hit,it bent mine in slightly,so i have indentations,is hard to do all the bolts up tight when fitting,with head on, but you will get there,right tools,and time,and tighten oposites.so it sits flat,take your time.

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

5th Gear

Status
    Left to right?
    Or if you meen which bolts,on that picture,top row on the picture,second one across,or the other one seven across from the top.

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Ouch what a horrible thought, 9 hours

My V1 was nice and easy with the head off but I didn't realise the V2s had this issue. My V1 had a positioning issue when it came to refitting the downpipe.

I wouldn't like to do the manifold with the head on so hats of to you lot that have. I am dreading mine cracking and needing to be replaced but I will probably take the head off again if it needs doing.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Status
    i thought yours was a V2 westy?

Dave: whether you count left to right or right to left, it's 2 and 7 either way

Took me many hours to get mine on as well, just take your time and make sure EVERY nut is tight, and all should be well.

A slight bow in the flange isn't really an issue either, my V1 was 8mm off flat on the flange and it tightened down just fine
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    i thought yours was a V2 westy?

Dave: whether you count left to right or right to left, it's 2 and 7 either way

Took me many hours to get mine on as well, just take your time and make sure EVERY nut is tight, and all should be well.

A slight bow in the flange isn't really an issue either, my V1 was 8mm off flat on the flange and it tightened down just fine
    To be honest I think mine is a 1 off! It was the first manifold to be returned to Welly after he'd done the fitment tests for XS Power. Welly had changed turbo by the time he'd received it so it was no use to him. He sold it to me as I was doing my build.

Mine seems to have bits of V1 design and bits of V2. I hope that the latest manis off the production line fit as well as their DPs now do after they had a load of fitting issues.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

3rd Gear

Status
    How far away is the V3 from us getting our mits on one?
    Wish list; Milltek Cat back non-res exhuast, R32 roll bar, adjustable rear tie-arms, Powerflex polybush dog bone mount, XS Power Manifold, 3"DP, B5 TIP V2, & a Remap :D

3rd Gear

Status
    Ok finally its all finished. 61/2hrs this time. So no leaks whoopeee. Only thing now is like Prawn when he first fitted his I am terrified its gonna set the car on fire. The rubber seal at the top of the firewall I am convinced is gonna melt, it gets soo hot now. Anyway took it for a good spin kept the revs down <3000, except for the odd little burst. Have to say it is noticeably different to drive now.
    Thanks to everyone for their ideas/input. Now to get the front mount fitted, brakes and a re-map.

3rd Gear

Status
    @Benjamin.
    What heat wrap is that you have going across the top of the firewall. Could you take another pic, just wanna see how you have changed pipe routing if any and heat shielding.
    Thanks

Down under

Status
    It it a big difference?

I'd get one if I was keeping the K04 but (eventually) going GT2871
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

5th Gear

Status
    S3 owners. Has anyone got the OEM heatshield for the red hose laying about?

Click the link,my freind that works for airbus made mine,think he has one left,hard for him to remake them.

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

3rd Gear

Status
    Looks like a nice bit of kit. What sort of price for one. Yeah so paranoid about fire now I went out and bought a fire extinguisher. LOL.

5th Gear

Status
    Looks like a nice bit of kit. What sort of price for one. Yeah so paranoid about fire now I went out and bought a fire extinguisher. LOL.
    Lol don't forget the bucket of sand.um i don't know because its a one of,if enough people wer interested,he could make a few,but for the one left il ask him later for you.Thanks adam
    jitvv likes this.

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks.

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks.
    It's bent but needs a couple of holes opened up. Not sure really what its worth. Ask him if he is interested and how much would he be willing to pay?.
    thats the msg he sent reply,its the first one he made which is 0.9 mm thick titanium,not quite as thick but will do the job,so name a price i suppose?

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

Status
    I've been ok with just the silver foil stuff round the red hose.

My biggest worry was melting the rocker cover gasket and getting an oil leak but it's been fine for over 2 months now.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Status
    I've got actual Tin Foil around my coil pack wiring

2nd Gear

Status
    @Benjamin.
    What heat wrap is that you have going across the top of the firewall. Could you take another pic, just wanna see how you have changed pipe routing if any and heat shielding.
    Thanks
    Its all totally stock with the o.e heat protection still in place. Nothing's melted yet, s3's had noticeably more heat proofing than their a3 counterparts, providing its all still there. Lol

5th Gear

Status

Does anyone know what size the exhaust manifold studs are? I'm tempted to buy some new ones and have them ready for my install in case some snap or have problems trimming them down.
    Thanks

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

Status
    M8 and around 50mm long. Cost pence from TPS or Audi. I replaced all mine, didn't take long.

5th Gear

Status
    make sure you buy copper ones too

5th Gear

Status

Prawn. Is it possible to get shorter ones i.e suitable for the 2 shorter ones required in fitting the manifold?

Cheers mate.

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

5th Gear

Status

Boost-addict
    Do you mean copper washers and nuts? I have only seen steel studs.
    Cheers.

2001 S3 (AMK)

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    The copper nuts are generally still steel ones but copper coated...

Bill bought a load recently but not sure if he got them from TPS or not...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

5th Gear

Status

I will give tps a shout. See what they have.
    Thanks mate

2001 S3 (AMK)

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    The copper nuts are generally still steel ones but copper coated...

Bill bought a load recently but not sure if he got them from TPS or not...

<tuffty/>
    I've seen proper brass nuts before on other cars.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast