Fitted Relentless Manifold

IrishDave

Reaction score
To say it is a nightmare of a job is an understatement. Managed to do it with the head on only to find when I started the car it was blowing from the flange that mates to the head. Yes new gaskets were used etc. So now I'm gonna have to take it all apart again and get the flange skimmed so it sits flush. Never again.......

Yeah I dont think it is necessary to take the head off. Just means more work involved in doing it that way, although in hindsight...
I could'nt believe it. 9hrs fitting, at least I know exactly how to go about it now, so should'nt take as long.

Gutted for ya mate. What version of manifold is it?

You need to cut one or two of the manifold studs down as they contact the runners and don't allow it to sit flush against the head.
They're not too bad to fit on 2wd cars but on an S3 what a nightmare! I feel your pain mate!

Do you know which studs? It all seemed to fit ok no clearance issues besides heatshields etc. In fact I would be certain there were no studs touching any of the runners.

18e05e64.jpg

On the 8 studs on the top row it's numbers 2 and 7 that require you to chop the stud down. It's easy to see the issue when fitting with the head off, with the head on its impossible to see anything as you know lol.

yup, I agree totally, that'll almost certainly be the blow.

Studs 2 and 7 on the top row WILL hit the runners, and stop the flange from sealing down onto the head.

This wasn't an issue on the V1, and only effects the V2. Doesn't look like it'll effect the V3 either due to different angles.

Sadly, now it's on, the only way to get the studs out is to remove the whole turbo and manifold. then use two nuts to whip the studs out, trim 4-5mm off them, and refit it all with a new gasket.

I've not seen a v2 with a warped flange yet, I'd say it's almost certainly those two studs :(

Yea the two bolts in subject are the hard ones to get to,if both are loose would blow,they are hard to do up,as i did'nt take my head of,a bent open spanner did the job for me,just took age.not fun,i would'nt want to do one again.Keep positive,you could tighten up even more the stainless would bend,but would damage the mani slightly,and it makes it harder to get onto.good luck.

Left to right?
You'd be better,doing them up oposite's.and what i said bout doing them up with it hitting the mani,sounds like bodging it,just a thought rather than taking it of again,only reson i went through the same thing and,before i knew the studs hit,it bent mine in slightly,so i have indentations,is hard to do all the bolts up tight when fitting,with head on, but you will get there,right tools,and time,and tighten oposites.so it sits flat,take your time.

Ouch what a horrible thought, 9 hours :sadlike:

My V1 was nice and easy with the head off but I didn't realise the V2s had this issue. My V1 had a positioning issue when it came to refitting the downpipe.

I wouldn't like to do the manifold with the head on so hats of to you lot that have. I am dreading mine cracking and needing to be replaced but I will probably take the head off again if it needs doing.

i thought yours was a V2 westy?

Dave: whether you count left to right or right to left, it's 2 and 7 either way :)

Took me many hours to get mine on as well, just take your time and make sure EVERY nut is tight, and all should be well.

A slight bow in the flange isn't really an issue either, my V1 was 8mm off flat on the flange and it tightened down just fine :)

i thought yours was a V2 westy?

Dave: whether you count left to right or right to left, it's 2 and 7 either way :)

Took me many hours to get mine on as well, just take your time and make sure EVERY nut is tight, and all should be well.

A slight bow in the flange isn't really an issue either, my V1 was 8mm off flat on the flange and it tightened down just fine :)

To be honest I think mine is a 1 off! It was the first manifold to be returned to Welly after he'd done the fitment tests for XS Power. Welly had changed turbo by the time he'd received it so it was no use to him. He sold it to me as I was doing my build.

Mine seems to have bits of V1 design and bits of V2. I hope that the latest manis off the production line fit as well as their DPs now do after they had a load of fitting issues.

Ok finally its all finished. 61/2hrs this time. So no leaks whoopeee. Only thing now is like Prawn when he first fitted his I am terrified its gonna set the car on fire. The rubber seal at the top of the firewall I am convinced is gonna melt, it gets soo hot now. Anyway took it for a good spin kept the revs down <3000, except for the odd little burst. Have to say it is noticeably different to drive now.
Thanks to everyone for their ideas/input. Now to get the front mount fitted, brakes and a re-map.

@Benjamin.
What heat wrap is that you have going across the top of the firewall. Could you take another pic, just wanna see how you have changed pipe routing if any and heat shielding.
Thanks

It it a big difference? :)

I'd get one if I was keeping the K04 but (eventually) going GT2871

Looks like a nice bit of kit. What sort of price for one. Yeah so paranoid about fire now I went out and bought a fire extinguisher. LOL.

Looks like a nice bit of kit. What sort of price for one. Yeah so paranoid about fire now I went out and bought a fire extinguisher. LOL.
Lol don't forget the bucket of sand.um i don't know because its a one of,if enough people wer interested,he could make a few,but for the one left il ask him later for you.Thanks adam

Reactions: jitvv
It's bent but needs a couple of holes opened up. Not sure really what its worth. Ask him if he is interested and how much would he be willing to pay?.
thats the msg he sent reply,its the first one he made which is 0.9 mm thick titanium,not quite as thick but will do the job,so name a price i suppose?

I've been ok with just the silver foil stuff round the red hose.

My biggest worry was melting the rocker cover gasket and getting an oil leak but it's been fine for over 2 months now.

@Benjamin.
What heat wrap is that you have going across the top of the firewall. Could you take another pic, just wanna see how you have changed pipe routing if any and heat shielding.
Thanks

Its all totally stock with the o.e heat protection still in place. Nothing's melted yet, s3's had noticeably more heat proofing than their a3 counterparts, providing its all still there. Lol

Does anyone know what size the exhaust manifold studs are? I'm tempted to buy some new ones and have them ready for my install in case some snap or have problems trimming them down.
Thanks

M8 and around 50mm long. Cost pence from TPS or Audi. I replaced all mine, didn't take long.

Prawn. Is it possible to get shorter ones i.e suitable for the 2 shorter ones required in fitting the manifold?

Cheers mate.

The copper nuts are generally still steel ones but copper coated...

Bill bought a load recently but not sure if he got them from TPS or not...

<tuffty/>