' turbo flutter ' ?

jamieA3

Reaction score
evening all, since buying my 1.8 t a few weeks ago. I have noticed that when i release the throtle i hear a noise from the front thats sounds like :uhm: a bird cooo. Wasnt sure what it was as ive never had a tubro charged car before. after reading online and watching videos on youtube i believe the noise is commonly refered to as turbo flutter.

anyway, is this a sign that my bov is faulty as im getting some mixed answers though google ect. some say its the DV. Whats the difference ? ( complete turbo newby ) :huh:

anyway, maybe this noise is normal, maybe not but anyone with an idea of what to do/not do I iwill be very grateful.

jamie

What you're hearing is called compressor stall mate, often refered to as 'flutter'

it's down to the diaphram in your standard DV being split.

BOV means Blow off valve, which your car shouldn't have fitted.

it should instead have a diverter valve, or Recirculating dump valve, known as a recirc.

You can either replace it with a new Bosch 710N part from audi for less than £30, or upgrade to a forge alloy piston type dump valve to avoid having another failling in the future for around £80.

You'll also find the car drives better and fuel economy will increase as well with a new DV in place, as the current one is a constant leak in the boost system costing you power and efficiency.

check the small pipe ontop of the dump valve and make sure all associated pipes havent come off or are split. I tempereraly fitted a boost gauge to the pipe going to the dump valve which blew off after a bit of driving and caused this sound, connected the pipe back up and it went away.

That noise is typically down to the DV (dump valve) being faulty assuming you still have the original valve as they are prone to failure... the noise you are hearing is compressor stall and is generally bad for the turbo...

DV = diverter valve... still technically a dump valve but doesn't vent to atmosphere like 'blow off' valves do... the ECU's fitted to these cars don't like atmos valves and you will end up with running problems using one... either buy a new OEM DV or if you fancy something else then the Forge 007p or 008p

<tuffty/>

thanks guys, ill just run the car like a grandad until i can get one.( below 2000 rpm ) would you all recomend a 007p from forge IE are there any gains to be had or is it just for noise.

thanks again, jamie

if you've got the extra £20 - 30 handy you might as well pick up a FMDV008 (the new version of the 007p) i installed one today and am very happy with it, or if you're keeping it cheap, 007p, they are pretty bullet proof compared to the standard bosch valves that are very prone to splitting. not sure about power gains etc, i've only just started working on my car but i've heard it gives better thottle response

EDIT: thats £20-30 more expensive than the 007p

pigeon syndrome is what I like to call it :) Do what's been said and you won't go wrong and spending that little more on a forge dv is a good idea like said :)

well thanks you to all for the responses, ive inspected the dv. and hoses as far as i can see are ok. so im guessing its a internal fault or something i cant see. anyway, thanks again, ill fit a stock one for now as i am skint ( after buying the car last month )

Stock ones work fine on 600hp RS4's, and are fit and forget.

Better choice IMO than some aftermarket part thats 3 times the price and requires "servicing"

yeah i cant say whether or not aftermarket ones are better or worse, but I always wonder if many parts are better over the oem parts. I mean audi obviously research there stuff and know what there doing. on the other hand, many on these cars are pushing 15 years old, so technology has got to have improved since the mid 90s. anyway this is off topic lol

My007p gives me better response! Better than OEM!

chris if im right in saying youll have a cone air filter? the chatter your hearing is through there, it will do it on a standard S3 but probably louder on yours with it being stage 2 :icon_thumright:

yeah a rather large cone filter the biggest one u have probably seen, everyone kept saying that it was a bad sign but i wasnt sure.

IMG-20120506-00851.jpg

i got if off a guy that was breaking his s3 cost him £199 or something like that i got it from him for a bargain of £30

lol seriously funny that. looks like it could run a diesel train! surely its too big though mate ?