Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
    5th Gear

Status

A pillar gauge pod build thread.

Okay so I've been meaning to do this since I got the car and finally getting around to it now.
    I have sourced a spare a pillar trim piece and a boost gauge pod (that is not even close to fitting)

I've seen a few people asking about these so thought i would post this and hopefully it will help someone.

First of all I offered up the gauge pod to the area I want to install it and got a rough idea of what needs to be trimmed from it. Which as it happens is all of the base plate.
    Then cut out a section of the a pillar trim to allow it to recess.
    And from there it is all trial fit and trim a bit more until it fits as close as possible to the location I want.

I want to to recess in a bit so have also cut out a section further into the pillar trim in front of where the gauge sits so I can mould a tunnel detail into it (hopefully this will become clearer with the photos and as I progress)

The work so far:

The next stage is to fibreglass it into place and add a skim of filler then smooth and mold it in.

The only real hurdle I have now is finding some fabric to match the trim to cover it with.

Anybody have any spare?

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    If your struggling for fabric , either scrapyard for roof lining. Or hobby craft / textile shop/ craft shop. You should be able to source something close enough. Got black alcantara for my old civic type r from craft shop.

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Just goto audi with your chassis number and buy a role, think its about £30 pal.
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani_B19 View Post
    Just goto audi with your chassis number and buy a role, think its about £30 pal.
    Well you learn something new everyday! I might wallpaper a wall in my house Audi nogaro blue lol.

5th Gear

Status
    Trying to do it on the cheap lol.
    Hoping someone may have bought a headlining for a similar job and have some spare

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

Status
    Disnt know they did nogaro blue interiors, is it cloth or fabric like? haha.

5th Gear

Status
    Here is a better pic showing the fabric.

It is actually darker than it looks in the photo. The flash has made it look more grey. It is almost black in normal light.

2001 S3 (AMK)

1st Gear

Status
    i have a spare a pillar to do the same thing but wanted to source some fabric first, will look very oem once finished. thumbsup
    BRING ON THE WET WEATHER ​QUATTRO FTW

5th Gear

Status
    If you source some do you want to sell a bit to recoup some of your cost or fancy a shared buy? Should get a fair bit from something like a headlining.

2001 S3 (AMK)

1st Gear

Status
    would be a great idea but i have the cream lining im mine so not sure it would like right haha. i will probably keep a lookout for an old headlining

5th Gear

Status
    Yeah think it may clash ever so slightly.

2001 S3 (AMK)

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    well ive been fitted by gauge pod which im almost done my only problem is feeding the vac hose front he engine bay into the cabin to slot into the guage.. cant find a spot tbh.. would be appreciated if anyone can shed some light or some picture ?

5th Gear

Status
    Couple of update photos of it fibreglassed into place.

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status
    After a skim of filler and smoothed off I have covered it in some black acoustic fabric I had in the garage until I can find some matching fabric.

And installed in place.

All I need to do now is wire in the back light. Any suggestions to where to take a feed from?

2001 S3 (AMK)

Status
    Cigarette lighter! Unsure on wheres the best place to earth it though, still need to wire mine in.

5th Gear

Status
    Will that not be a permanent feed though?

2001 S3 (AMK)

Status
    Good point mate, i meant to say the Light under the ash tray that clips next to the cigarette lighter.

1st Gear

Status
    looks well g60leigh is makin me want to do mine where did you but the pipe through bulk head?

5th Gear

Status
    I haven't ran it through yet. I have it ran through the edge of the wing and in through the door. Carefully ran inside the door seal so it doesn't crimp.

2001 S3 (AMK)

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    take the lower dash out, and connect it to the ignition wires (there is a terminal there its yellow) near 3 12v terminals so when you turn the ignition on it lights up with the dash...if you have an S3

Alex

Status
    Regarding where to run the pipe through the bulkhead, I ran mine through a hole behind the right hand side of the glove box and comes out about halfway down the TIP in the engine bay. You can get to it with out taking the glove box off but it is easier to remove it.
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

PS3: Broady_11