I have just bought an A3. It's a 1.8 1997.
The car has only covered 63K miles which only 10k in the last 8 years.
It has a full year MOT and passed with no advisories.
- It's due a service and the cam belt has not been changed yet, and thinking of doing the water pump and thermostat at the same time. Is there anything else I should consider when changing the cam belt?
- There is a strange noise coming from under the bonnet when I start the car when it's cold. This lasts for 1 or 2 seconds then goes. It is like a scratching/scrapping/rattle sound.
- Also, the steering wheel feels a little loose - when I turn the wheel in the opposite direction it feels a little lumpy, but its not affecting the steering itself.
- The rear wiper stops at random places for a few seconds then starts again - it's not running smoothly.
If you have any advise to any of the above issues or any suggestions on things to look out for - it has not been serviced for 2 years, i'd love to hear from you. I understand it's an older car and will have its problems but if I can put right any of these things i'll be very happy
- Finally the driver door is having problems closing. It catches but you have to pull it shut after it catches. I have tried adjusting the plate but has not had any impact.