Help needed for new Audi owner

Adm29

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have just bought an A3. It's a 1.8 1997.

The car has only covered 63K miles which only 10k in the last 8 years.

It has a full year MOT and passed with no advisories.
  • It's due a service and the cam belt has not been changed yet, and thinking of doing the water pump and thermostat at the same time. Is there anything else I should consider when changing the cam belt?
  • There is a strange noise coming from under the bonnet when I start the car when it's cold. This lasts for 1 or 2 seconds then goes. It is like a scratching/scrapping/rattle sound.
  • Also, the steering wheel feels a little loose - when I turn the wheel in the opposite direction it feels a little lumpy, but its not affecting the steering itself.
  • The rear wiper stops at random places for a few seconds then starts again - it's not running smoothly.
  • Finally the driver door is having problems closing. It catches but you have to pull it shut after it catches. I have tried adjusting the plate but has not had any impact.
If you have any advise to any of the above issues or any suggestions on things to look out for - it has not been serviced for 2 years, i'd love to hear from you. I understand it's an older car and will have its problems but if I can put right any of these things i'll be very happy :)

Many Thanks,
Adam

- When you change the cambelt do the waterpump, tensioner & tensioner pulley and the idler. Also worth doing the aux belt at the same time. I would also change the thermostat will the coolant is drained as they fail with age (unless you have history showing its been done)
- Strange noise - could be many things need more info
- Need to check track rod ends for play
- Need to remove the motor, clean the copper disc inside it and refit.
- The plastic clips that hold the glass on a rail and allow the window to travel fail overtime. Yours probably have been replaced but the height of the frame around the window may not have been fitted back correctly. The frame position can be adjusted as it has elongated bolt holes and wedges, so you will need to loosen these and adjust. Whoever took it apart didn't put it back correctly so will be a bit of trial and error.
Worth checking the stickies for other common faults to look out for.
I'd be checking stuff like rear springs, wishbone bushes and brake vacuum hose to start with to make sure its safe.

Thank you for your reply :) I have booked my car in for cam belt kit (inc pulley, tensioner & idle) with water pump, auxiliary belt & thermostat.

There has been a development with the door. It now shuts first time both when closing internally and externally. However, it now doesn't open from inside the door. I have to let the window down and use the external handle. Any ideas? Also window has become very squeaky when moving up/down.

I have a feeling the noise maybe the exhaust downpipe - still need to confirm with garage, but sounds similar to my old car which went. Rattle when accelerating and on engine start.

Thanks,
Adam

the noise could just be the few seconds it take for the oil to circulate.

the rear wiper. I have the same problem and have been told by a local mechanic that the motor needs replacing.

hope tat helps a tiny bit lol

It just sounds like someone has done a bad job putting the door frame back together. I would take the door card off and have a look, maybe one of the plastic clips that runs up and down the track is missing. If broken replace with the A6 window clips which are plastic coated metal instead of just plastic. Door catch could be as simple as not reconnected when door card was removed.

Rear wiper - replacing or repairing the motor. Repairing was so simple and cheap.

The only exhaust related noise i've had in 10 years is the heatshield for the cat becoming loose and rattling. Has 5 bolts holding the shield above and the shiled below together effectively clamping the two around the cat. Jack the car up and tap it to see if its loose. 5 olts are easily replaceable with some stainless bolts.