Hi all

Big Bang Yam

Reaction score
Hi all! Just a quick introduction and tell a little about myself, my names Steve , Im fro
deepest darkest Kent, I've just bought a 51 plate black s3.prior to this I had mk1 focus rs, grisly amazing car! But about a year ago decided to sell it due to parts practically possible to source due to them. Being a such a limited run and as I'm into my bikes more then cars I sold my Ducati 749s at the same time and.bought a new Yamaha R1!! .always missed having a car for tho GS like weekends away with the mrs and decided to get a cheap run around hence the s3. Saw one advertised just had recon engine and loads of receipts , including new turbo and manifold but still needed tlc, new discs and pads all round, wheel alignment was all over the ace on test drive , a little power steering leak but it looked a genuine honest car so I've took a chance.
Got it home done the brakes all round, scrubbed the white leather clean and started to work my way round the outside cleaning and it's slowly getting there!! I'll take some piccys when it's clean!!
ive got one little problem I'm struggling to suss tho. When stationary say when parking if I go to full lock and start creeping forward it sounds like one of the back wheels is getting dragged around,it feels like its skipping around opposed to turning? Has any one got any ideas ??
thanks for your time Steve.

Camber or toe adjustment at guess, four wheel laser alignment needed.. Everyone will probably recommend rear adjustable tie arms.

If it's lowered on standard shocks that creates negative camber I think because of s3 rear setup STD.

Haldex problems, search the forum as there is loads of info lying around....

Hi Steve and welcome....:icon_thumright:

unfortunately it sounds like an haldex problem, but could easily be a quick solution as a broken earth strap....

plenty of info on here and good luck....

Yeah I've been doing some research, get the back end up in the air and have a butchers, the rears are driving it, I've giving it some grief on wet roundabouts and it's not sliding nor are the front wheels spinning up??

Got underneath it earlier, touched the earth strap and fell apart in my hands. Replaced it and cleaned the contacts up, unplugged the haldex unit to check all the pins . That was all fine, no corrosion at all, went out but the noise is still there and 100%sure there's drive to read wheels , must be an alignment problem get that done the weekend!!. The rear tyres are worn so weirdly and uneven! My next job is a remap, is there anywhere in Kent that can be trusted? I would of gone AMD but I keep getting told they are a nightmare!

My next step would be an Haldex oil and filter change, and change the rear trailing arm bushes...

Definatly not going to do any harm and well worth doing but I'm going say again especially now you've stated weird uneven tyre tread on rears, get it four wheel aligned! Also bug dave for some of his adjustable rear tie arms....... :)

i dont know what everyones problems are with amd, that where very accomidating with me and my brother when we went and even got a discount with them, mine feels ten times better now