HI GUYS, COULD REALLY DO WITH YOUR HELP!!! AM I BEING RIPPED OFF???

• Thread starter imported_vishal
  • Start date
I

imported_vishal

As the title suggests!! I drive an 2001 Audi S3 at the moment, and need to replace the wifes car, she has seen a 1998 "R" plate 2.0 golf gti mark III, with 56,000 miles on it for £2800. It has air con, and 18" RS4 reps on it, in all its in good condition, with full service history, what you guys think of this deal??

By the way, the colour is the deep purple.mauve, marooney type, VW call it \Ruby Red pearl, is this what you would consider to be sought after.

Any Comments greatly recieved!!

Seems like a good price to me! Just do a HPI on it before you part with any money

RIch

Check the service history with a magnifying glass - that's a low mileage for the age and type of car.

Does the condition of the car match the mileage claimed?

How worn is the steering wheel, gearknob and pedal rubbers? They should have fairly low levels of wear if it's only managed 56k in 8 years. Seats should look pretty fresh too. Also look for stonechipping on front and sills.

The Mk3 GTi is the worst possible GTi VW ever produced. 0-60 in 10.3 seconds, heavy & unwieldy, I had one for 3 years as a company car. You can get a VR6 for that sort of money (admittedly higher mileage), or at least the 16v with aircon.
You can get an A3T Sport for that money, theres one on autotrader with 192k miles on it for £2,800.

an ideal car for the mrs but sssgucci is right - it is slightly overpriced.

check out the classifieds on www.veedub.co.uk - the closer u get him to 2K the better i think although it is quite low milage which is quite good if genuwine.

was it serviced at VW?

Parker's Guide says £2695 for a private sale good condition 3 door with average mileage.

[ QUOTE ]
Parker's Guide says £2695 for a private sale good condition 3 door with average mileage.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a lot to learn if you go by Parker's price guide my freind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You have a lot to learn if you go by Parker's price guide my freind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by that? That parkers values are too high, or that the values are lower than you'd have to pay in reality?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'd like to go by Glass's, but I can't browse that in W H Smiths!

What do you mean exactly? I'm not sure where Parker's get their info from so can't vouch for its validity, but without constantly keeping an eye on the market (yawn...) surely it's a fair way for mere mortals to judge secondhand values?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by that? That parkers values are too high, or that the values are lower than you'd have to pay in reality?

[/ QUOTE ]

For certain cars I supposes Parker's is ok. However for cars like golf Gti's it's usually very inaccurate. You are better off by looking at market values and by just scouring over ads and asking around. The car in question in this case is well overpriced. It is hard to value it without seeing the car but 2800 seems very steep. If it is in concourse condition then just tell me to shut up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif