Handbrake/Rear Brake problem

MrTackalakalaka

Reaction score
I noticed a while back that the little lever on my rear drivers side calliper was sticking so the handbrake wouldn't work. I gave it a little tap with a rubber mallet and it freed itself, the handbrake was working like normal afterwards.

I then notice at slow speeds.....when i brake there is an awful knocking/rubbing noise coming from the rear. I jacked the car up and the drivers side rear brake is binding quite a bit, so much that if i spin the wheel and let go it stops immediately.

The other day the handbrake stopped working again so i had a look underneath and noticed the little lever had stuck again. I jacked it up and when i span the wheel this time is carried on spinning for at least 1.5 to 2 rotations before stopping.

Ive done this several times now, sprayed it with GT85 and tried to work the lever loads but after a while it just sticks again.

Anyone know how to solve this?
what is making the knocking noise? Only happens when the handbrake is working.

Also how can i adjust the handbrake on one one side but not the other? so the drivers side isn't binding. Ive noticed the little adjuster under the centre console/armrest but that adjusts the handbrake on both sides doesn't it?

Cheers

The only way to cure it is to replace the caliper. Iirc there are no caliper rebuild kits available from motor factors although Audi may be able to get them, but its just as cost effective to get a refurb caliper.