S3 transmission whine on overrun...

JohnyD

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I can hear a faint whining noise from my car, mainly on overrun but a little bit when accelerating as well. I read a couple of things on here suggesting it might be gearbox bearings but one person reported that it stopped whining when in neutral. Mine whines all the time even in neutral, does this sound like the same problem? Time for a gearbox recon?

Thanks,

John.

Really hard to say without listening to it!

Mine makes a little bit of noise, not unpleasant, and most boxes do as they are complex items with a certain amount of noise inherent.

If you think it's really loud, you cold try changing the oil, which might help and certainly won't hurt.

Otherwise, remember its a 12 year old car, and a certain amount of noise will be apparent that isn't on younger or lower mileage examples. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it.

Hmm yeah I gues it is very subjective as to how loud is too loud... Most of my previous cars have been around the same kind of age and I never noticed anything like this before, but then I never had a six speed 4wd car before!