A3 stop light warning alarm

ronnie24

Reaction score
Hi. Just found this site, lots of good info.

I have a 1998 A3 which has served me well but recently the stop light (failure) warning light and alarm keeps going off even though all the bulbs are working. Sometimes it goes for days not showing a fault then sometimes just the warning light comes on. Most annoyingly though sometimes the beep alarm will sound every few seconds. Thankfully it does not last too long and does not happen too often.

I have checked all the bulbs thoroughly and replaced all of the high line. I have cleaned all the bulb connections and units and I have also had the brake light switch replaced. All to know avail.

If anyone can suggest any other fixes I would be most grateful.

Sorry this is a long message (I am new to this!)

Ronnie

Does it actually say stop with three beeps? if so its nothing to do with bulbs and needs investigating before driving the car again..
if you mean the brake bulb failure, new bulbs can fix this even if they are working, i had this and the filament of the bulb was broke but it still worked, but vibrations sent it off....

SEVV. Thanks for your reply. Yes I do mean brake bulb failure. It is the same beep you get when petrol is low or washer bottle is empty. It should beep once 9as you start up)and the warning light stay on til you fix the problem. This beeps randomly, thnkfully not too often but the light is on even though all the bulbs seem ok. I am interested to know that you had the same problem even though the bulbs appeared to work ok. I di wonder if it was vibration making it go on intermittently and thought it might be a bad earth. I will check all the bulbs again. Could the bulbs be inferior quality? ie not Audi

s3 Dave. Sorry just seen it was your reply. Thank you very much.