Potential S3 owner - Question After Test Drive.

chris.sargent

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new here so I'll pop over to the welcome section sometime soon to introduce myself properly but I am considering buying a 2001 Audi S3 210 bhp. The one I'm considering all checks out okay with a good SH and fairly tidy all over. I wouldn't say it was 'pampered' car but certainly it's been looked after and has most of it's stamps from dealers with receipts etc. I've read all the buying guides etc which have all been a great help so thanks for that.

I noticed one thing on the test drive which I haven't been able to find an answer for though. When doing around 40 - 50 mph I noticed a road-speed noise coming from the rear, like a gentle woomp woomp woomp in time with the wheel spinning. It wasn't only doing it at 40 - 50 but certainly that's where it was most noticeable. It's not a loud noise, you only really notice it if you press the clutch in and let the car free-wheel, it doesn't really sound mechanical to me and it's definitely not a whine.

It's very possible it could be a slightly out or round tire or flat-spot because the car hadn't been used for a few months. However, there was no noticeable vibration, just the noise.

I know it's hard to diagnose noises on the t'internet but I thought it was worth checking your opinions here first and whether I'm just being a bit paranoid over Haldex / 4wd issues. It's possible it's completely normal too....

Thanks in advance for the help!

Chris

is there any vibration in time with the noise? Could be as simple as dodgy tyre,did you check them out?

Didn't notice any vibration. It could well be just a tyre - as I mentioned in my post the car had been stood for a few months so may have developed a very slight flat spot.

Well if it's an otherwise good car and you are interested you could suggest some tyre rotation to the seller and put the rears on the front and see if the noise follows suit,if not i'd walk away.

Ive had this with worn tyres before and its hard to ascertain which end as noise invariably travels, but from what your saying it does sound a strong contender for tyre noise.

I've had the weights come off one of my wheels from balancing...... I've noticed similar noise. Could be in need of wheels balancing????

id be scanning any cars you viewwith vcds to check for hidden or unknown faults.
there is a vcds map of all the users with this program. im sure someone near to the car you are viewing would glady come along to scan it.
imo, this is THE best thing you can do if you are viewing a car. the onwer may be clueless to errors, or he may be hiding things, if the owner wont let you, stay clear.

Probably a wheel bearing on its way out, they make a wah wah wah wah sort of noise thats usually most noticable at around 40-50ish when they're starting to get a bit tired.

I'm actually in the South of France near Nice so I'd be surprised if anyone here is close... but I do have VCDS anyway actually.

Certainly my gut feeling was that it was tyre or wheel bearing related but I guess I just wanted to check that someone wouldn't go "oh yeah, that's classic rear diff / Haldex failure noise"

The car is coming from a dealer too so I do have some come back if there is something more sinister.

In any case, the deal is hanging on the roof rail corrosion (only slight but it's there!) at the moment. It does have a FSH (mostly at the same, local Audi dealer), hasn't been repainted and is younger than 12 years so they 'should' put it right but I'm waiting for the dealer to pull his finger out and speak to them (everyone's lazy here!). If they won't repair it I shall walk away anyway.

So we'll see, fingers crossed and all that. She'll be a nice swap for the Freelander we've been driving around for the last two years and will complement my E46 M3 nicely.

As supercarl has said, scan it with VCDS because you will certainly need it during your ownership not least given its 12 years old car. The most useful tool in your box. You can check for codes (after a test drive just incase the seller is sneaky and cleared them before viewing) and boost levels just to name a few but if thats confusing, just hit autoscan and see what it comes back with, upload it here and someone will assist.

Sounds like a wheel bearing mate.

Should be an easy fix and relitivley cheep!!