Anybody ever had to replace an actuator before?

a318t

Reaction score
Yes, I'm sorry for posting yet 'another' thread about actuators. It's just my new KKK actuator arrived yesterday and my car is booked in for having it fitted Thursday morning - I'm inpatient to find out whether it is the cure for my power loss.

Just wondering if anybody has ever, or knows of somebody that has, replaced an actuator on their A3/S3, and if so just how much of a difference did it make?

When it's in I'm going to get my very good and trustworthy friend (the mechanic working on it), to check every single pipe/hose for splits, leaks and weaknesses - replacing a £100 part and not checking pieces of simple rubber at the same time would be a small mistake!

Hope somebody can shed some kind of a success story to make me feel more positive haha!

Thanks guys!

(I'm fairly new to AS.net, but am so impressed with how helpful and knowledgable everybody is)

If you are replacing it as the old one was ******** I would like to think it will make loads of difference...

Have seen a few turbos with dodgy actuators and after replacement and/or adjustment they make the boost they are supposed to etc generally although this does depend on the health of the turbo itself... K03's have a tendency to curl the blades and lose boost...

Get a smoke test done to help find any potential leaks...

<tuffty/>

&lt;tuffty/&gt;;1626776 said:
If you are replacing it as the old one was ******** I would like to think it will make loads of difference... <br>
<br>
Have seen a few turbos with dodgy actuators and after replacement and/or adjustment they make the boost they are supposed to etc generally although this does depend on the health of the turbo itself... K03's have a tendency to curl the blades and lose boost... <br>
<br>
Get a smoke test done to help find any potential leaks...<br>
<br>
&lt;tuffty/&gt;
How does a smoke test work? (sorry Im useless haha)
Thanks tuffty :)

Last edited:
You need a smoke test machine... most decent garages have them...

Here is a video of a smoke test done on my oil drain to see where it was leaking from... smoke test made it fairly obvious :)

<tuffty/>

Last edited by a moderator:
I see, will ask my mechanic tomorrow evening when I drop it off whether or not they can carry out a test. I guess it must be the best way of noting leaks :)