EM TuningSky Insurance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Porshe cayenne 6 pot calipers 18z carriers

3rd Gear

Status

Porshe cayenne 6 pot calipers 18z carriers

Hi guys got offered some Porsche cayenne 6pots with carriers that fit a mk1 tt and mk4 golf would these fit my s3 ?,

2. # ADS
    ADS

Scuderia Vittoria Edition 001

Status
    yes they will fit but you will need to check what diameter discs they have been machined for.

tom
    Audi S3

''If a hammer doesn't fit it. it's technical''

AH Fabrications catch can for sale £50 posted!

5th Gear

Status
    Yes they would.little tip though make sure they are sold with discs and pads,mine cost £950 for discs ands pads.if they do include them make sure the groves are ok on the discs otherwise yes £950.

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    With the right discs I would imagine so yes...
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by future View Post
    yes they will fit but you will need to check what diameter discs they have been machined for.

tom
    Quote Originally Posted by liquids3 View Post
    Yes they would.little tip though make sure they are sold with discs and pads,mine cost £950 for discs ands pads.if they do include them make sure the groves are ok on the discs otherwise yes £950.
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    With the right discs I would imagine so yes...
    Dont come with discs unfortunately and if it could cost £950 for discs then no chance cheers guys

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Most of these kits are designed for R32 discs I think... StaceyS3 has these calipers on his car but think he changed the discs to ECS 2 piece...

Bill @ Badger 5 does 330mm and 335mm 2 piece kits

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

5th Gear

Status
    Does depend on which carrier,tufty and future are right depends which setup,6 pot cayenne are normaly the bigger stage 5 setup,mine are cayenne.377mm discs.

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

Down under

Status
    ECS won't sell you the stage 5 discs separately very easily. The common carriers are for 334mm disc one way around and if you flip them, they'll work with a 350mm disc. The problem is, getting a 350mm disc in R32 offset etc, isn't easy. Compbrake used to sell them but stopped. Your best bet is getting some ECS MK4 R32 2 piece (proper hat and rotor) discs. They are ~$650. That's what I've gone for.

Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

5th Gear

Status
    I was ok getting my discs from ecs,just rang america and ordered,they are over powered brakes though,you don't need them that big,just helps that bit more,sams right in what he is saying,different options (there are a few threads on brake set ups).do'nt worry vw own 99% of porsche now anyway so new vw's and audis should come with stock 6 pots lol

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

Down under

Status
    They do. You've seen the VW Touareg and Audi Q7 right? Same calipers just less bling

Did you guy the whole kit then or just the discs and carriers? Your the first person I know of that's been able to buy just the discs and carriers!!
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    They do. You've seen the VW Touareg and Audi Q7 right? Same calipers just less bling

Did you guy the whole kit then or just the discs and carriers? Your the first person I know of that's been able to buy just the discs and carriers!!
    Yes you can normaly pick the q7 calipers up cheep really.yes was the full ecs stage 5 kit that was originaly purchased,.yes ecs wer really helpfull, really freindly,i even got the discs potted and groved,rather than just groved.freindly but not cheep,the old discs and pads did last 5 years though,thats the thing where they are designed for a much heavyer car they do last wel not as much brakeing force on a lighter car,good wear.

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Overkill in my opinion!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

Down under

Status
    So are a load of things JoJo I'm not sure you can go "overkill" in the brakes department...

Quote Originally Posted by liquids3 View Post
    Yes you can normaly pick the q7 calipers up cheep really.yes was the full ecs stage 5 kit that was originaly purchased,.yes ecs wer really helpfull, really freindly,i even got the discs potted and groved,rather than just groved.freindly but not cheep,the old discs and pads did last 5 years though,thats the thing where they are designed for a much heavyer car they do last wel not as much brakeing force on a lighter car,good wear.
    Yeah if you buy the kit and can prove you bought it from them then you can get discs otherwise they are a pain about it from what I've seen. They're obviously precious about their hats and carriers for obvious reasons.

Personally, I'd stick with grooved. Is potted basically drilled? Drilled are great for bling and cracking.
    Sevv likes this.

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    I personally think Brembo's are good enough, so I'll take those Porsches off your hand and give you my Brembo's
    its either mapped or broken...

Down under

Status
    They may well be overkill as everyone says. They certainly are annoying to fit in terms of wheel clearance but finding decent porsche calipers here is hard. People want silly money for them and the Q7 calipers came up cheap so I snapped them up. Not really too fussed.

6th Gear

Status
    I've got them and love them

And couldn't really say no when it worked out it only cost me £20 to go from boxster rears with worn discs to these with new discs

As for set up I'm running plain ebc r32 discs as were only £120 which compared to oem and the many other options I didn't find to bad

As for the Ecs parts I tried to get some but they refused as I needed the hubs and carriers as the kit I bought was an Ecs kit but for the mk5 platform

As for overkill....maybe.....maybe not as people always relate it straight to the big heavy cayenne but they are also fitted to one of the 911 gt's (gt3rs) iirc which isn't particularly heavy as well as other high performance cars
    Power & Torque 335bhp 285ftlb
    0-60 4.64 1/4 mile 13.02
    My GTX3071r Build Thread
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...ld-thread.html

Down under

Status
    I always think brakes is an area you can't really go half arsed on...

I had brembo 4 pots on a 700kg 205 and that was seem as overkill back then but they were awesome. Seen as the S3 is nearly double that...

5th Gear

Status
    They are alot of money,hard to get wheels to fit,but i drove an s3 sunday with just uprated pads i think,and crist the 6 pots are worth every penny.ive said this story before but once doing about 50 through a lane a deer ran out in front of my car an honestly if it was'nt for these brakes i would have had a deer through the windscreen so get masive overkill brakes and save a deer lol haha

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    So are a load of things JoJo I'm not sure you can go "overkill" in the brakes department...
    It's just my opinion naturally, it depends on application I guess. I held an ECS stage5 brake kit and felt it was quite heavy compared to an ECS stage 2v2 kit. Being 6 pots, I don't particularly think the S3's brake master cylinder was designed to operate 6-pots. I don't doubt they would stop well, but maybe at the expense of a slightly longer brake pedal perhaps? I've never tried...

For bling purposes, there's no such thing as overkill, but for fast road use, I think a set of LCR Brembo's/ECS Stage2v2 is more than adequate for S3's in stage 1 and 2 tune.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It's just my opinion naturally, it depends on application I guess. I held an ECS stage5 brake kit and felt it was quite heavy compared to an ECS stage 2v2 kit. Being 6 pots, I don't particularly think the S3's brake master cylinder was designed to operate 6-pots. I don't doubt they would stop well, but maybe at the expense of a slightly longer brake pedal perhaps? I've never tried...

For bling purposes, there's no such thing as overkill, but for fast road use, I think a set of LCR Brembo's/ECS Stage2v2 is more than adequate for S3's in stage 1 and 2 tune.
    Your right in everything your saying,but i have'nt got a low pedal,there are two types of 6pots,ones with big pistons,you would have to uprate master then,or the one's i have with smaller type pistons,responsive with no travel.

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

Down under

Status

The pedal travel is said to be marginally more than OEM, if bled correctly and using the smaller piston 18Z calipers. The 17Z have larger pistons, requiring more fluid movement. There's talk that a T5 master cylinder will work as a larger replacement but not confirmed. Hearsay. There's no larger MC upgrade as far as I'm aware?

If I could have got a decent set of porsche 4 pots or the LCR kit, I'd have stuck to that. Rare as rocking horse poo here though. Most people will be outbreaking their tyres before it becomes an issue anyway

Anyhow, these will be great at stopping 400 odd horses

Reverse Gear

Status
    What kind of wheels and spacer size are people using with these calipers on the 8L? I bought a set 12 month ago and there sat in garage because nobodys seems to have a definate answer..I have 18z calipers, r32 discs, HEL braised hoses and mounting brackets..as the brackets are designed for the 330mm disc they seem to pull the caliper 10mm further back than the 350mm ecs ones which means big spacers...swap for 911 front set up anyone?

3rd Gear

Status
    I want them for the looks more than anything to be fair,it seems like its a bit of a headache to get everything for this set up and to get the clearance

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Yes, for some reason, the S3 hubs are not great for wheel clearance when you stick a set of big brakes on! I've been lucky all my wheels clear the Brembo's with no spacers, but I still put spacers on for looks!

3rd Gear

Status
    Yes, for some reason, the S3 hubs are not great for wheel clearance when you stick a set of big brakes on! I've been lucky all my wheels clear the Brembo's with no spacers, but I still put spacers on for looks!
    I currently have 18" Quattro sport alloys 15 spoke with no spacers,would these wheels be ok with the calipers clearance wise do you know?

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Goubo1 View Post
    I currently have 18" Quattro sport alloys 15 spoke with no spacers,would these wheels be ok with the calipers clearance wise do you know?

Couldn't tell you mate, I take it they are genuine ones, 8.5" wide? Probably best to ask on the TT forum?

3rd Gear

Status
    Couldn't tell you mate, I take it they are genuine ones, 8.5" wide? Probably best to ask on the TT forum?
    To be honest I don't know if they are genuine or not just going by what I got told when I bought the car

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    If they are the same as the a4 tqs wheels then no as they are deep dish
    its either mapped or broken...

Status
    i run these on mine with the 334x32 rotors from an r32. The brake travel is no more than standard if you bleed them properly imo and the feel is much more progressive.
    I did however need 25mm spacers up front to clear them (18" rstt reps)

I Have to say i love mine to bits and wouldn't swap them for 4 pots ever! but everyone has their own opinion on these things, mine is you can really have to much braking power.

tom
    Audi S3

Reverse Gear

Status
    Tom..are your wheels the standard et33 offset like my genuine rstt's? If so thats gives a et8 with the spacers,surely your wheels are way out of the arches? I tried upto 15mm spacers on mine and this still wasnt enough...

Status
    i have a feeling mine are et34 but i will double check when i get a chance my wheels line up exactly with the edge of the arch so its ok with mot etc.
    Ideally i would like to fun 20/15mm at the front, so its either upping to 350mm discs or using a more concave spoke design. This is a really good excuse to get the mtm bimotos I've always wanted though
    Audi S3

Status
    i do have a picture of my arch gap etc, so when i get off my arse and set up a flick-r account i will post them up tonight for you if this helps?

tom
    Audi S3

Reverse Gear

Status
    That would be great thanks..i also have multi photos of mine with 15mm spacers which once i also get off my arse and work out how to do it will be posted here....

Phil

Status
    heres the pictures as promised:

my setup

on the car with spacers

top view of my arches

from the side

hope this helps

tom
    Audi S3

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by future View Post
    i have a feeling mine are et34 but i will double check when i get a chance my wheels line up exactly with the edge of the arch so its ok with mot etc.
    Ideally i would like to fun 20/15mm at the front, so its either upping to 350mm discs or using a more concave spoke design. This is a really good excuse to get the mtm bimotos I've always wanted though
    Lots of room behind Bimotos!

Status
    p.s. please excuse how dirty my car is!
    Last edited by future; 13th July 2012 at 11:09.
    Audi S3

Status
    Lots of room behind Bimotos!

That really isn't fair at all jojo!! lol
    Audi S3

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for the photos Tom..when i tried mine with 15mm spacers am sure they stuck out further than that..i will get the photos up today..

Pat
    3rd Gear

Status

Brakes

I was lucky picked up one caliper for 120 and the other few months later for 130, combined with r32 dics, adapters and lines makes for a very cheap setup..

2002 S3, Project 400, New Build In Progress, I.E 2.0 stoker kit, Big Port AGU Head, Ferrea Valves retainers, springs etc, GT30 compact, Pagparts Manifold, AH Front Mount Version 2, Genesis 550cc Injectors, 044 Fuel pump in I.E Surge Tank, Revo Stage 3 Software, Porsche Brakes, work in progress

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 zombie View Post
    Thanks for the photos Tom..when i tried mine with 15mm spacers am sure they stuck out further than that..i will get the photos up today..
    No worries i still havnt had a chance to confirm the offset of my wheels but hopefully will be some time this week for you

tom
    Audi S3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast