Dusted off the S3 on a 1,000 Mile European Trip - Now got a few Problems!

Ryan_W

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Long time no speak!

Sooo... Since I've owned my S3 I've only covered around 1,500 miles in it due to keeping it as a display item in my garages.

I contemplated selling it but then decided to take it on a long deserved road trip around Europe. I took the Mrs and we went from Stamford to France, Monaco, Germany, Belgium and then back home. The car performed fantastically and didn't miss a beat!

Now, as soon as I got past Dartford, the ABS and TCS light came on and have been on ever since. I got home and suspected it to be the rear discs and pads, so had those changed. Lights still on. Swapped over all three 30amp fuses on top of the battery. Lights still on.

Now I've read up on here that it could be a bunch of things, wheel alignment, ABS sensors etc.

Anyone got anything I can personally check before paying out lots of money?

On a side note, whist having the rear brakes replaced, the uncovering of a snapped NSR spring was identified, so I've just booked the car into Jabbasport to have some KW coilovers fitted. I'm starting to see this as the beginning of an unhealthy tuning spree! :icon_thumright:

I don't have VAGCOM so can't check the car for codes, but if anyone is around Peterborough way and has one who is willing to read my car for me, I'd be ever so thankful and see a few beers in it for you... :beerchug:

Regardless of the few issues at present, I'm back in love with my little S3 now and looking forward to another fun filled adventure!

Cheers all,

Ryan

Vagcom scan really is required here. It will tell you exactly why the lights on.

Even if you have buy yourself a cheap ebay lead to find out what it is, it'll be worth the tenner it will cost.

FWIW, brake pads/disks would never bring on an ABS warning.

Well it's displaying the 'Brake Pads Worn' symbol in the DIS, but the rears are now brand new and the fronts have copious amounts of life left in them?!

Brake pads being worn isnt anything ABS related though?

That probably means the wires have broken to one of your front pads.

It could be the haldex controller, a scan with vagcom will show you what is up with it.

I'll have a looksy tomorrow and see what I can see... Fingers crossed it's just a sensor and a cheap, easy fix!

So you have "Garages" did a "tour of Europe" and going to "Jabbasport for KW Coilovers"... Clearly you're minted, so just take it to Audi lol

Most likely to be the sensor which has given out, i had it on a 2002 A3 but it the had ABS cutting in at low speed, VCDS will tell you and they are cheap to replace and as above ABS warning has nothing to do with disks or pads being worn..

So you have "Garages" did a "tour of Europe" and going to "Jabbasport for KW Coilovers"... Clearly you're minted, so just take it to Audi lol

If I won the Euromillions I wouldn't take my car to Audi...

Haha... I'd rather not discuss my wealth on a forum, you never know who's scanning these things!...

I'm picking up 2 new front ABS sensors and changing those over hoping that they'll solve the TCS/ABS issue.

Coilovers are being fitted on Monday, can't wait to see how the car handles. I'm think a 3" DP and full non-res Milltek will be next on the list.

Man, stop just ****** throwing parts at it.

It could be anything, your ******* into the wind until you've scanned it for codes and found out why the ABS ECU has brung the light on. IT KNOWS why the light is on.

They're only £32 for the pair from GSF! It's a cheap fix if it works...

Just ordered some 235/35/19 tyres too since I don't think my 245's will fit once the car is lowered with the offset I have.

Await the pics on Monday!

Nice one ryan. It has never appealed to me to do a road trip in the car, but I did a similar trip on my R1 last year...

We took the harwich to rotterdam ferry, then went across to Germany. We got a transporting sleeper train down to Alessandria. Then made our way across to genoa, Monaco, toulouse, biarritz. Then Bilbao where we got the ferry back.

Absolutely great experience and can't wait to do it again. Although would like to see more of Spain. Wouldn't bother with Monaco again either... Anywhere you would recommend stopping at?

I did one last year in my H3 Hummer. Did Nottingham to Dover, then went all the way to Ibiza via the Paris, Nice, Denia route.

The general Euro trip for me consists of Paris, Adenau (Nurburgring), Köln, Malmedy (Spa) and then back home.

I'm looking to do a trip to Norway since the roads over there look unreal:

trollstigen-norway-mountain-road.jpg

You havent even seen his castle he lives in yet lol I reckon he got his penny's from beating it out of the tw4t that smacked his mirror off last year lol.

Chris.

Haha... That's still going through the courts mate! Haven't seen a penny out of the little s**t that did the runner as of yet!

I go through Stamford a couple of times a week, so could scan it for you. Not this week though, as working away.

Jabbasport will probably scan it for you on Monday though if it's in?

Haha... That's still going through the courts mate! Haven't seen a penny out of the little s**t that did the runner as of yet!

No way it's been months the scum bag will probably pay you 10p a month in the end anyway, the joy of our justice system.

Chris.

Just had a thought gents...

I'm going to need a set of rear adjustable tie bars am I not? Completely forgot about this! Forge ones seem to be the best out there, but £300, chirst on a bike!!!

Anything else I should be changing whilst fitting coilovers, (top mounts already sorted)...

They're only £32 for the pair from GSF! It's a cheap fix if it works...

Just ordered some 235/35/19 tyres too since I don't think my 245's will fit once the car is lowered with the offset I have.

Await the pics on Monday!

buy a VAGCOM cable you cheapskate :p

Reactions: Ryan_W
Hmmm, whats 'the' cable to get, is the Ross-Tech one still used?

Just had a thought gents...

I'm going to need a set of rear adjustable tie bars am I not? Completely forgot about this! Forge ones seem to be the best out there, but £300, chirst on a bike!!!

Anything else I should be changing whilst fitting coilovers, (top mounts already sorted)...
contact View Profile: s3dave - Audi-Sport.net for tie bars

Most likely to be the sensor which has given out, i had it on a 2002 A3 but it the had ABS cutting in at low speed, VCDS will tell you and they are cheap to replace and as above ABS warning has nothing to do with disks or pads being worn..

Are the ABS sensors easy to replace?I have the same issue where the ABS is cutting in at low speed on some corners. Very random, Hopefully two new front sensors will fix the problem.

Awesome. I will have a hunt around for a quick guide then. Thanks.