my 2001 facelift a3 1.8t build

stoneA3

Reaction score
well after all my recent troubles with the a3 i bit the bulit and decided that id replace the head myself,
got off to a good start with removing the trashed head and removed the sump and pic up for a good clean , i placed my order with a salvage company in london for my new used head at £300 incl cams and chain etc only for it not to turn up so got on the phone only to be told oh sorry we damaged it so you wont be getting it grrrrr, managed to find another head local but valves on pot 4 where bent so got him down to £120 took it straight to the machinist and he skimed the head and done the valves for £40 ! was well happy and only took 3hrs to get the head back bargin!

so with all the parts firmly in my hands i set off with the build up i ended up changing the pick up for a new oe part, all gaskets headbolts, dipstick tube , anyway took me 2.5 days to do it all and the end result was well worth it now got equal good compression in all 4 cylinders , and starts first time and probly saved around £800-1000 in labour doing it myself and learned allot on the way befor this car id only ever serviced oil etc so well happy with the result just got to do the clutch now as its sliping like mad with the remaped ecu then i can finaly fit sum goodies like front mount intercooler and coilovers etcc

IMG_8383 by stoneA2012, on Flickr

IMG_0830 by stoneA2012, on Flickr

IMG_1306 by stoneA2012, on Flickr

IMG_1603 by stoneA2012, on Flickr

IMG_5178 by stoneA2012, on Flickr

IMG_7198 by stoneA2012, on Flickr

IMG_8052 by stoneA2012, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
I have edited your post so the pictures show... can you do this on further posts please as clicking through to the pics is quite frankly a PITA...

The code is actually on the Flickr page for the image and dead easy to use... (and yes I even went to the effort to screen shot it for you lol ;P))
flickrBBcode.jpg

<tuffty/>

lol cheers im no good with computers soz but ill certainly do it next time

lol cheers im no good with computers soz but ill certainly do it next time

No worries... I just re-edited them as I only used small pics... choose the large ones from the drop down when you do it as the small ones don't have the detail...

<tuffty/>