N249 Bypass 5mm silicone hose

cjsuk

Reaction score
I know on the guides it says 4mm hose but I couldn't get any so I got 5mm instead, is this ok? or will it cause an issue? I did ask on the bypass guide thread but i'm not getting any reply's and I want to do it..... er .....yeaterday lol. Cheers

Biggest issue is the outlet on the manifold... 5mm will be baggy as hell and even though a cable tie (rather than a clip) will potentially hold it you may well end up with an air leak from it...

4mm is about as big as you want really as it will fit over the outlet tight enough not to leak when cable tied and large enough to provide enough volume or air to operate the DV properly...

<tuffty/>

Biggest issue is the outlet on the manifold... 5mm will be baggy as hell and even though a cable tie (rather than a clip) will potentially hold it you may well end up with an air leak from it...

4mm is about as big as you want really as it will fit over the outlet tight enough not to leak when cable tied and large enough to provide enough volume or air to operate the DV properly...

<tuffty/>
Ahh ****** ok, cant I use a very tiny bit of sealent just cote the nipple in it? and tie wrap it too? or is that just a silly bad idea?

Can I use the 5mm on the short bits that come from above the throttle body to the plastic tub thing lol (technical term)

i did mine today, what does the bypass actually do? it seems to have better throttle response and make my turbo spool really loud?

i did mine today, what does the bypass actually do? it seems to have better throttle response and make my turbo spool really loud?
From syvo's guide on the matter, it does this: What the Bypass Does.
eliminates the ECU controlling boost in which the ECU dumps boost unexpectedly resulting is poor control in car the Traction Control is not affected by this i tested this out on a field and yeh the traction contol still kicks in, the dv is more responsive and slightly louder, minimal throttle response inprovement, reduced risk of split pipes or boost leaks as changed more orginal pipes for silicone pipes.

"traction control still kicks in" i turn mine off everytime i use it

Reactions: s3clarke
and im not disagreeing with anyone but ive got 5mm I/D silicone on mine got a jubilee clip on the nipple under the inlet manifold (gave it an extra hard tug to make sure it wudnt come off)and havent bothered with a clip or tie ontop the DV as it was tight enough to get on.

and im not disagreeing with anyone but ive got 5mm I/D silicone on mine got a jubilee clip on the nipple under the inlet manifold (gave it an extra hard tug to make sure it wudnt come off)and havent bothered with a clip or tie ontop the DV as it was tight enough to get on.
I was gonna go ahead and do it anyway with the 5mm but after having a look at how small the nipple is and the pipe is from the mani, I thought better of it, I would have done it but I hate having to do things twice so with <tuffty/>'s advice ive ordered the 4mm.

ive ordered 4mm aswell just i had a few split hoses hence why i put it on for the time being

ive ordered 4mm aswell just i had a few split hoses hence why i put it on for the time being
At least the 5mm should be ok to use in other places, just dunno where! One of the reasons I want to do the bypass is cos of the look of all those hoses, I can see lill cracks which is never a good thing!

i know what u mean it looks so untidy with all those hoses there, ive kept the metal plate there thats underneath but that will soon go after ive got enough money together for some tfsi coil packs and spacers and sorted my rocker cover, just still deciding what to do with it whether to chrome plate it or paint it black :ermm:

i know what u mean it looks so untidy with all those hoses there, ive kept the metal plate there thats underneath but that will soon go after ive got enough money together for some tfsi coil packs and spacers and sorted my rocker cover, just still deciding what to do with it whether to chrome plate it or paint it black :ermm:
The actual rocker cover or the plastic cover? My mate is getting his mondy st's covers air brushed gonna see what that turns out like, then ill be doing the same, as for the pipes its a ****** labyrinth.

the actual rocker cover, i had my last a3 rocker cover in gleaming white but dunno what to do with this one

Look what's just arrived :)
SAM_1854.jpg
****** the rain, time to press the delete button!