A little update on my rebuild

Andrew@A.L.D

May add NOS to 600+bhp S3.
Reaction score
Website
www.aldevelopments.com
After my bad news on the dyno with the rings and glazed bored the engine was put back together with new parts and modifications like rings, a deglaze, 4 bar reg, piper cams and a ported 0.82 a/r exhaust housing.

last week i managed to get it running but when i revved it it went pop and stopped, I did a compression test and all were well down? Timing looked spot on on the cam pulley and etc? ok off with the head again as i thought i bent some valves but no everything mint? I take the Cat cams pulley off to find this

Image0359.jpg

****** keyway has snapped and the pulley moved on the cams

To say i'm lucky not to of bent any valves is a miracle

New Piper cams pulley on its way

Also been offered some ID 1000cc injectors that i'm very tempted to get at a good price but hey will see how she goes with this rebuild first

Jesus christ Andrew, could you have any more bad luck?

It's such a shame to see such a mega spec build tortured by stupid little problems that COULD effect any of us, yet they all seem to effect you!

Poor git, all the best with getting it back together AGAIN! Still looking forward to the results!

Turning the engine over using the cam pulley bolt can cause this... the supplied key is a small little ****** from what I remember too so not a good start :(

Bad news dude, not having much luck but then this type of build is always subject to these little hiccups... been there bud...

<tuffty/>

Doesn't bother me as its all part of the problems with going BT and it could of been a lot worse so i'm happy its just a new pulley needed and not a pulley and new valves.

Never turned the engine over with the cam bolt, always the crank bolts so not sure why its happened but i'm glad i found this problem anyway before i bent any valves or damage any pistons

The keyway in the Cat cams pulleys are quite poor i would say compared to others i've seen so i hope Piper ones are better and stronger

I'll get there with it

Sorry to hear the news mate not had much luck :(

But on the other hand was rather lucky valves and pistons are unscathed

Can't wait to see your results when it's finished as I'm sure it will be a weapon ;)

Bummer mate, but thats development i suppose.

Good luck with it, you will have it sorted soon no doubt.

Doesn't bother me as its all part of the problems with going BT and it could of been a lot worse so i'm happy its just a new pulley needed and not a pulley and new valves.

Never turned the engine over with the cam bolt, always the crank bolts so not sure why its happened but i'm glad i found this problem anyway before i bent any valves or damage any pistons

The keyway in the Cat cams pulleys are quite poor i would say compared to others i've seen so i hope Piper ones are better and stronger

I'll get there with it

the supplied pos thing from catcams is a joke.
mines doweled as it was obvious the supplied thing was inadequate

did yours looks like 1/2 a woodruf key looking like it was snapped in half when you got yours? mine was.. it was one of those wtf moments when you looked at it..

when you due back to the dyno next?
got your uber injectors ready for the big mapping session?

going to be a monstor (hopefully without more drama's)

It looked like a hollow dowel and when i look at it now i think why did they fit that bit of s**t !! As said i hope piper one is better

I've yet to put it back together ( shouldn't take long, i can get the head off it now within a hour now ) but first i will take a break for 2 weeks in the sun from the 26th so maybe september ?

I think i will stick with the 870cc and just fit a 4 bar to see how it goes

Jesus, no-one likes to see that mate. HOW did you get away with it?? Good luck skills there!!

I have canceled my order for the piper cam pulley and fixed the one i have by drilling out the crappy dowel and fitting a solid one

I have also drilled out the M6 locking bolts and drilled and tapped them to M8 as the M6 threads were screwed.

Image0360.jpg

Image0361.jpg