Headlight Recolouring - Little bit of help needed

AJD S3

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've seen a few 8L S3s around now with the internals of the headlight fittings recoloured, aparently also known as a 'Joey Mod'.

Does anybody know how to actually remove the plastic from the front of the fitting? I'd like to make the internals of mine a little darker, to match the car a little more. Plus, the plastic itself has seen better days, 11 years of stone chips and motorway use are starting to show, and the lights now have a sort of misty haze over them caused by the scratches. I'd ideally like to get rid of this too as well as recolouring the internals.

If anyone could help me with this, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

You stick it in the oven from what I have read or you could try a heat gun (carefully) :)

<tuffty/>

You stick it in the oven from what I have read or you could try a heat gun (carefully) :)

<tuffty/>

So in other words what you're saying is, let's make a Headlight Crumble? :)

I'll give the heat gun method a try I reckon, and we'll see how we get on! Any ideas on how to fix the plastic back to the fitting once finished though?

You're always full of knowledge about things like this <tuffty/>, it's brilliant :)

Theres a guide on a4mods about doing a set of B6 A4 headlamps, i've used the same method to do a set of B5 A4 units, so i'd imagine it'll be similar if the A3 also has Valeo light units.

That thread suggests A3 units are a bit easier then. The glue on the A4 Valeos is REALLY hard, and doesnt soften much in the oven.

Bosch/Hella units seem to be much easier.

I took my headlights a part to retro fit the xenons in my aftermarket lights, I used a heat gun, stanley blade and a flat screw driver to remove the lens. Heat up round the lens where its sealed, pry a part with the screw driver then slice the sealant with the blade. It was a lot easier to remove the lens on my standard lights than the aftermarket ones.