Oil leaking from turbo down behind the engine....help!!

Wilts

Reaction score
Hey guys i aint been on awhile had no internet, anyways got the old turbo which was puffing out oil and put another turbo on but its leaking from where the turbi is bolted on to engine all the pipes r fine i didnt replace the gaskets as was skint so i really need some info for 2morw if poss please :-(

i didnt replace the gaskets as was skint so i really need some info for 2morw if poss please :-(

Are you talking the washers as well as gaskets? Appreciate you're skint but common on! They are like pence each, ok possibly a £ or 2 but chances are you're going to be taking it all off to replace them !

Is it just the small oil feed gasket i need like? The lad seems to think its leaking from the turbo itself so i dont see how that is poss?

Whats the gaskets called for that mate and do i get them from audi today?

Yea i can get some from a pumbers store, the lad is convinced the pipes are not leaking but it cant come from anywhere else than the above area can it??

Would he have removed this to change turbo, he said its dripping and gets worse on idle.

Yea i can get some from a pumbers store, the lad is convinced the pipes are not leaking but it cant come from anywhere else than the above area can it??

Don't get them from a plumbers store... get proper VAG ones from a dealer... to do it properly you will need 2 x oil feed washers and ideally you would have replaced all the coolant ones too so I think its 7 of those from memory... 2 for the banjo on the block, 3 for 'one' coolant banjo and 2 for the other coolant banjo on the turbo as there is a spacer on one (can't remember which off hand) VAG washers are aluminium

Its a false economy not to change them due to the amount of work required to get to them... you would do well to get the oil drain gaskets too.. again these are metal and you should buy genuine ones... one for the sump and the one under the turbo...

They are not expensive...

<tuffty/>

Ok il go get some washers, iv just gotta wait and see wats wat later wen he has a look but it can only be the oil banjo bolt on turbo tho??

Either that and/or the oil drain as both would have been undone to remove the turbo...

<tuffty/>

Wheres the oil drain coz im just gunna go get my car and av a look myself, so the oil banjo bolt on turbo and oil drain which is where? Not the sump??

Wheres the oil drain coz im just gunna go get my car and av a look myself, so the oil banjo bolt on turbo and oil drain which is where? Not the sump??

Oil feed bolts to the top of turbo as does the coolant line from the front of the car... the block coolant pipe bolts to the side of the turbo facing the block...

Oil drain is the pipe from the bottom of the turbo to the sump...

<tuffty/>

Ok i think i know now, cos theres two holes next to each other isnt there then a single hole round other side of turbo so is only 2 of them 3 holes i need to worry about oil leaking from? Il just get the rite washers and change them.

Is it hard to take the said oil feed pipe off which is bolted on the turbo to put some new washers on?

The oil feed is on the top of the turbo so access is only really available once the manifold is off... if you have an A3 this is relatively easy, if you have an S3 then its a little more involved...

<tuffty/>

Mines the a3 so cud u give me afew steps to taking this banjo out to replace these fuked washers, and thanks mate

All sorted spent 4 ****** hours taking the turbo off/on to change all washers for new ones so no leaks now and 4hours i fort was good seeing as ive never done it. 4 so thanks for all the input i feel like ive learnt alot!!

Last edited by a moderator: