The Dreaded hesitation problem....

jitvv

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have just started getting that dreaded / annoying hesitation problem that 1.8 T’s suffer from and from searching the forum I see quite a few people have suffered from it, but the annoying thing is no one ever updates the thread they have started about it, if it’s been fixed or what fixed it!!!!
So my thoughts are we have a lot of guys on here ASN who are very knowledgeable and maybe we can put together a guide on sorting these problems out once and for all.

Here’s what happened with mine, since I bought her in December 2011, she has run well, until the dreaded Head Crack issues that AMK’s suffer from, had a brand new replacement head fitted in March, and she was fine since then, no problems what so ever… then 2 weeks ago I had the Clutch pedal snap, I got a replacement and had it welded so hopefully won’t happen again! But ever since replacing the pedal she has this interment hesitation between 3000 and 4000 rpm, just for a split second and then she’s fine, and at other times she totally fine rev’s cleanly through no hesitation at all, I thought seeing as the last thing I had touched before this problem was the clutch pedal I replaced both the Clutch and Brake switches (plus they are really cheap from Audi, old skool mechanics’ start with the cheapest fixes first), still no joy. I don’t have VAG COM yet, just ordered it today, so can’t log her yet.
The 4 Coils have been replaced by Audi Dealer (under the recall) a lot of the vacuum pipes were replaced when the new head was fitted. It also had new plugs then too.
I am thinking about replacing the MAF first or should I just wait until I get my VAG COM Cable??

Really hate it when she’s not running 100%...... Grrrrr. We have to be able to sort this annoying problem out between us.
Sorry for the massive post!!! But if people put down their experiences then we can get a bigger picture of this hesitation problem and get it sorted once and for all.

Thanks in advance
Jit

2001 AMK S3

Last edited:
Throttle body cleaned ? Injectors cleaned ? Dv serviced ? All cheap stuff to do.

Mate this so sounds like a coil pack is on its way out. I know you have had replacements but i still would not rule it out. I had to do the up grade to stop my car randomly missing/ hesitating.

Thanks guys for your reply's,

I am going to Clean the TB, check the DV, i am also going to check the Coil Park wiring, and the Plugs.

And report back :)

It is a bit strange that it all started after the pedal went,or maybe you never noticed before ?

Last edited:
I used to get a problem with hesitation between 3-4k rpm on my AMK s3.
Turned out to be no'4 coilpack (the awkward one) lifting up... almost like air pressure holding it upward so it doesnt seat properly.
I simply put a cut in the rubber around the top coilpack seal and its been fine since.

just fixed this problem mate,
Split in the wiring harness that leads to the coil packs.
Check all the wiring harness that leads to the coil packs.
Especially if youve done the n249 delete and left the n249 electrically plug in.
The huge connector unit had cut into the wires when i tucked under the heat wrap.

Had this on my a3, fitted an uprated TIP and it solved it. Strange but it seemed to work.

Thanks for your replies guys, was out tinkering with her yesterday, And I am happy to report that it seems to have sorted my problem out, only thing is which of the following cured it..... ?? answers on a postcard J

1:\ When I was looking over all the pipes and hoses I noticed that the pipe that comes off the FPR was going a very strange route to where it connect on the inlet manifold, it was going right across the manifold then down and around and back on its self so affectively blocking its self and when i wiggled it, it just snapped in my hand, so i got the rest of the pipe off the manifold and then rerouted it from under the inlet manifold and plugged it back in.

2:\ I cleaned the TB, wasn't that dirty too be fair, just some Carbon build up. Cleaned that up and did the re alignment as well.

3:\ Replaced MAF, Had been meaning to change the MAF for a while as i was getting the on and off performance.

Happy to report that she is super smooth now, and even in the 22 deg heat yesterday in North Herts, the power felt really strong, and this morning was even better, she seems really eager when pressing the accelerator J maybe its making use of that V Power that I put in!

Thanks again guys, and if anyone has anymore fix’s for their hesitation problems please add them as they will be useful to someone.