S3 owners - does your insurance co insist you have a tracker ? Which tracker to get ?

firestorm

Reaction score
I called my ins co for a quote today - good news is that its an extra £23 on my policy, excess goes up to £450, bad news they will only cover theft with a working Tracker.

Does your insurance co insist you have a tracker ?

Any one would think I tried insuring a diamond encrusted ferrari and parked it in Brixton or Toxteth.

What was the £23 extra for mate?
I renewed my S3 last week and not one insurer I spoke to said I required a tracker tbh, the factory thatcham 2 and alarm was good enough and it's parked on the drive. I ended up renewing with the same insurer which was from greenlight insurance on a highway/LV insurance policy. Was the cheapest by 100s of pounds- especially after declaring all my mods :)

£23 extra to cover the higher risk for the remainder of the policy. I can't change ins co till renewal time as they are matching the ncb on another policy I hold with them.

I resent having to pay £200 and then another £100 pa.

So you have 2 cars you need to insure....?
1 car (not S3) is already insured and the company who insures that car is saying they want £24 extra a month or year for the S3?

How long until the renewal and how many NCB do you have?

I'm insuring 2 cars. One is used by my wife. The other is used by me as a station car mainly.
Station car's in runs out next March. 12 years ncd.

Sounds like a ****y insurance company, but it also doesnt sound like you have much choice.

Either dont fit the tracker and hope it doesnt get nicked in the next 9 months, or spend the extra money and have one fitted to appease their whims.

More to the point, your missus really should have her car insured in her own name. If she crashes it, your insurers know that your fronting (because both cars are insured by them in your name), and they WILL do anything to get out of a claim, espeically if they're fussy enough to want a tracker on a car like an S3.

Well you have the max NCB for the majority of insurers....(max is usually 9)
If your policy with 12years NCB is on a pro-rata cancellation it may be cheaper to cancel that policy and get a duel car policy

We both drive the car, except that I do a lot more miles in it.
If I find a s3 that I like then I'll buy it and get the tracker.

can't change ins co till next year

next Q is which tracker, seem to be loads available.

Audi offers CobraTrak optional tracking ...which says a lot about the product IMO. you could buy direct from Cobra.

CobraTrak Plus Web — Products — Cobra Vehicle Security

But as said, 9 years is the maximum for most Insurance Companies - the extra 3 years won't save you anything! I bought out of my insurance 5 months early because their quote for the A3 was extortionate! it cost me £100 to cancel, but the new quote was nearly £250 less than upgrading for the new car. If you do cancel, your present Insurance Co will send you proof of your current NCD entitlement anyway! So do the math first & if it saves you money, you should switch.

I'll just put this here as if/when you do get a tracker the insurer will probably want to see proof of purchase and professional fitting- got to love Audi prices :)

Audi Accessories < Owners area < Audi UK

As said above call your insurer up to enquire about cancelling and find out the fees you will be faced- taken from your return premium- also taken into consideration how much it will cost to have the tracker fitted. then call around and look at what other insurers can offer you and weigh up your options that way

My S3 has a tracker (made by Tracker) and although it's recognised by my insurance company it's never been stipulated as a "must have" requirement. It was fitted from new but the subscription deal offered was £300 for the duration I own the car or £12 per month. It cost about £99 for installation.

My S3 has a tracker (made by Tracker) and although it's recognised by my insurance company it's never been stipulated as a "must have" requirement. It was fitted from new but the subscription deal offered was £300 for the duration I own the car or £12 per month. It cost about £99 for installation.

Do you know how much it adjusts your premium by at all mate? I've seen some trackers reduce the premiums by upto 20% but others do nothing! Lol. No wonder you have a tracker on yours as the car is in the most desirable colour ;) (not that I'm biased lol)

Haha thanks....No idea about the reduction in premium because as you say some companies don't give a monkeys about it. It was fitted at the dealer as a goodwill gesture. The car was meant to come with a symphony 2 radio (in dash cd changer) but it came with a single DIN chorus radio and boot mounted changer instead :-(

Oh, and I live near Basingstoke.....9th worst town to live in according to a "crap towns" book I read once!!

Can't cancel, my ins co agreed to duplicate my ncb when I got a 2nd car, so I haven't had a renewal on the 2nd policy yet.
Without any ncb, it'll be way too much.