EM TuningMonster Motorsport
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S3 8L Tyres

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status

S3 8L Tyres

Right guys,

Mission for you all........

I am in need of 4 new tyres for my S3 but am on abit of a budget, due to major service (inc cambelt & haldex) needing to be done.

I really wanted some Conti's or Pzero Rosso's but at £120 a tyre, they aint cheap and just abit more than i can afford Are there any recommended budget 'cheap but good performance tyres'?

I won't be driving the S3 very hard so a little less grip wouldn't be too bad, i'm more of a straight line driver who gives the car a boost occasionally. I want the tyres to last as long as possible but not compromising too much grip.

I've heard of KUMHO tyres, any good? Advice warmly welcomed

Cheers, Shaun.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    personally i go for Falken FK452`s as for the money they are a very good tyre with good reviews.

i get mine from Camskill as they have the best prices and very good delivery and then get them fitted locally.
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

King of the Mods. Apparently.

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    Falken FK452's are good, and loads of people run them.

Toyo T1-r's are a good tyre also.

Uniroyal rainsport 2's are a very good tyre, but a bit soft. For the price, you will find nothing that grips as well in the wet.

Vredsteins are highly rated as well, but it all depends on budget.

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Alot of people go with Falken 452's if there on a budget here and haven't heard of any complaints about them. Btw, even if you did have the money I wouldn't stick Pzero Rosso's on it mate, I'd recommend Michelin PS2 or 3's or Goodyear Eagle F1's

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    FK452's on a budget... I use these on mine and not had an issue yet... fancy pushing the boat out a bit next time for F1 Assyemetrics though...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Alex

Status
    I use Toyo Proxes T1R's. I think they cost about £110-115 in the shops/garages or you can get them for about £90 from Camskill, then its about £10 a tyre to fit, still works out cheaper.
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

PS3: Broady_11

2nd Gear

Status
    I went for something completely different and fitted some Firestone SZ90u's all round on my Stage 2 mapped S3.

They were about £90 a corner fitted and I have to say I am extremely impressed with them both in the dry and in this crappy rain we have. In my opinion they outperform every other tyre I have ever tried on any of my cars and believe me I have tried a few including some ridiculously expensive ones !

Firestone Europe > Car > SZ90&mu;

They also have a pretty cool tread pattern too

Oh and my dad liked them so much on my car he fitted a full set to his Mazda 3 MPS too with excellent results !

2nd Gear

Status
    Forgot to add, I have now done about 4k on them and they have hardly worn at all

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    OP- I've always found this website extremely useful for comparing tyres before I buy them.....Tyre reviews, tests and ratings | the online tyre guide

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    F1 Asymmetric 2 is where its at.

Run them on both my cars, and they are quite simply outstanding.

Depends on the size ofcourse, but the last full set i bought (17") was 400quid.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

1st Gear

Status
    I've used Goodyear F1's in all there guises since 2004 and the are quite simply amazing tyres,be it in the dry,wet or even on the 'ring the never missed a beat! I always bought them in 18's though and always got 10/11k out of a set even on a 4wd car. However my last car was an A4 and i bought them in 17's i was a bit shocked to only get 8k from a set and was pretty disappointed. So i switched to pilot sport 3's and haven't looked back.

When i bought the S3's there were PS3's on it and i will be replacing like for like.

1st Gear

Status
    With the quattro you could fit the worst tyre you could find and they would be use-able, wouldn't recommend pushing the car on them though.

I have four T1-Rs on and can't fault them, little bit soft so grippy but wear a little quicker then a harder compound.

1st Gear

Status
    **** tyres will be **** not matter what drive train you have.

K4OXE

Status
    u cant just chuck any tyre on a quattro, you may have the extra grip because of it but you also have extra weight!!
    When i bought my s3 it came with 'triangle' branded tyres, ok in the dry but the wet was a joke, couldnt even go around a large roundabout at more than 25, but they where good for a little power slide haha
    Silver S3 02 AMK
    !!!!STANDARD S3 EXHAUST FOR SALE!!!!
    PM FOR DETAILS
    click here for
    IN AND AROUND THE M25 RING MEETS

4th Gear

Status
    I had falken 452 and hated them. All 4 were done. Found them to lack grip badly. And the two rear tyres both bulged out on the inside and were luckily picked up when having an alignment done. They were very bad bulges. Im aware that im always the one negative when these tyres are mentioned and find it a bit odd. Maybe i was unlucky but with both rear on inside seems a little bit coinsidental to be bad luck. So maybe research them a bit before you buy. My money normally goes straight on toyo t1r. Had parada spec 2s which were good also. Both soft though.so dont expect them to lap the miles up. Daz

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    I found toyo T1R's awful in the wet compared to Uniroyals Rainsport, and the Eagle F1's i use now.

Prada Spec2's are known to be lethal in the wet, so best avoided in this country IMO.

1st Gear

Status
    Another Toyo T1R user here, had them on my old golf and now got them all round on the S3, £94 each from camskill.

S3 came with egale f1 gsd3 on the front and eagle f1 asymmetric 2 on the rear, i just didnt get on with them found they didnt grip well and understeered, since fitting the toyo's its transfored the car.
    2003 S3 BAM 225 Dolphin grey, Silk Nappa Leather, Bose, Cruise control.

Mods; custom code stage 1, S3 8P gear knob, pipercross panel filter, APR diverter valve, Forge TIP, Powerflex bushes, R32 rear anti roll bar, spacers F 15mm R 20mm, haldex race controller, Bilstein b12 pro kit, Porsche 996 turbo brakes.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s31tof View Post
    Alot of people go with Falken 452's if there on a budget here and haven't heard of any complaints about them. Btw, even if you did have the money I wouldn't stick Pzero Rosso's on it mate, I'd recommend Michelin PS2 or 3's or Goodyear Eagle F1's
    I have to agree, I had pzero on just about every car but for some reason they not as good on my s3.........
    Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2 are the best IMO , failing that potenza bridgestones

On a budget the falkens....

XFi
    2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add XFi on Facebook Visit XFi's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by daz-20vt View Post
    I had falken 452 and hated them. All 4 were done. Found them to lack grip badly. And the two rear tyres both bulged out on the inside and were luckily picked up when having an alignment done. They were very bad bulges. Im aware that im always the one negative when these tyres are mentioned and find it a bit odd. Maybe i was unlucky but with both rear on inside seems a little bit coinsidental to be bad luck. So maybe research them a bit before you buy. My money normally goes straight on toyo t1r. Had parada spec 2s which were good also. Both soft though.so dont expect them to lap the miles up. Daz
    I had Falken 452's on and they didn't last long at all so they were soon changed for Continental Sport Contact 3's which are leagues a head in every aspect. I've had Toyo T1-R's on my old clio and they were awful, the side wall was far too soft and it gave no confidence in the corners as you'd steer and then after a delay the car would. Parada Spec 2's are a good grippy tyre but again wear down very quick.

Audi S3 8P3 Stage 1

4th Gear

Status
    Whats your budget and driving style. Were all giving opinions and most are useless without your info lol. I cant remember my toyos being that bad in the wet. I had them on an ibiza cupra time and time again. Maybe less weight to drag around? And tbh i dont drive at all fast in the wet. Its all dependant on usage. Dry tyres are perfect for me as i dont use my s3 as a daily car. Had uniroyals years ago but simply cant remember what they were lime.

4th Gear

Status
    If your after a straight line tyre that lasts but no major lack of grip. My car has nexen n6000 on. I would never have bought them myself but they were on the car and nearly new. They seem fine so far. Grippy enough and review well from what ive read. Another option??

3rd Gear

Status
    I had falken fk452's on when I bought my s3.they were a very good all round tyre.i now have parada spec 2's on and in the dry and when they have a bit of heat in them they are super grippy I will back out before they do but in the wet they behave like a budget tyre

Noggies ruuuule!

Status
    I need four new boots too so reading this thread with interest. Currently have four Michelin pilot sport 3's on the mule. They're very good tyres (had F1's before that and Toyo T1Rs before that) but not sure they're worth the extra £30 per corner. Might go for some Eagle F1 Asymmetric as I hear good things about this rubber.

Erf
    1st Gear

Status
    Guys dont forget you can get 20% off Michelin's at Costco if you buy a set of four. Works out about £92 a corner for PS3's (225 45 R17)
    Silver 2002 S3 - Alloy Mirrors - RNS-E - Parrot MKI9200 - Beesting Ariel - Stealth Catch Can - S2000 Air Filter - R32 Rear ARB

Oyster Grey 2008 A6 Avant S-Line 2.0TDI DPF

1st Gear

Status
    I am a fan of falken fk452's have done a couple of track days with mine and are holding up really well good grip in the wet and dry.

2000 Audi S3 Black. Engine rebuilt Wossner internals, custom map, B5 3" TIP, Haldex blue, sport shifter, H&R ARBs, Green filter, 8P gear knob, 18" RSTTs, K-sport 8 piston 330mm brakes Ferodo pads front & rear, Nitrac disc rear, AP coilovers, adjustable tie arms, Powerflex bushes all round, yellow mount, LCR splitter, 3" DP & decat, 006p & Liquid CUBE, Forge FMIC, 550 injectors, CR Hybrid Turbo Stage 4 and Custom manifold

Audi S3 (310 bhp & 311 lbft)
    Aston Martin V8 Vantage
    CBR 600RR (08 )

Neutral

Status
    Gereral idea seams to be any of these... Top to bottom depending on budget:

Falken F452 - £80 ea. Never used these so can't comment but loads of people on here seam to use them quite happily.

Uniroyal rainsports - £85 ea. Very good, but agree they're very soft so probably won't be cost effective in the long run. Never used on an S3

Toyo TR1s - £90 ea. Quite highly rated by alot of hatchback forums, didn't like them on the S3 tho as they didnt take much abuse.

Goodyear F1 Asymmetric(v1) £95 ea - My favourite for the price/grip/wear.... Cant find much of a difference between these and PS3s apart from ps3s being a bit stickier in the dry and PS3s maybe a bit better ride. Although starting to become harder to find, so will be trying the V2s next time I change a full set.

Conti sportcontact 3s £105 - Prefered the F1 Asymmetric.

Michelin PS3s £115 - Definitley the best, but not worth the extra over the F1 Asymmetric imo.

Alot will depend on how you drive/use your car. If you never do track days and drive 'safely' on the road I'm sure the Falkens would be fine. We'd have heard about people binning their cars if the Falkens had an unpredictable break away which is really the main reason for avoiding budget tyres.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by XFi View Post
    I had Falken 452's on and they didn't last long at all so they were soon changed for Continental Sport Contact 3's which are leagues a head in every aspect. I've had Toyo T1-R's on my old clio and they were awful, the side wall was far too soft and it gave no confidence in the corners as you'd steer and then after a delay the car would. Parada Spec 2's are a good grippy tyre but again wear down very quick.
    I expect you brought the T1-R's in the sizes that don't have a reinforced sidewall, totally changes the tyre and makes then useless. If you buy them in the standard S3 size they are reinforced giving a much stiffer sidewall.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    F1 Asymmetric 2 is where its at.

Run them on both my cars, and they are quite simply outstanding.

Depends on the size ofcourse, but the last full set i bought (17") was 400quid.
    I managed to get 4 F1 AS2 17" for £356.

Neutral

Status
    I've just gone for a set of yokohama advan ad08, anyone run these before??

R-Tech Terrorist

Status
    I can't spell it, or pronounce it, so here...VREDESTEIN TYRES / CAR / VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA - 225/40R18 92Y XL TL 101.25 Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 18" R18" - 225/40/18, 225/40 R 18

I've got them on my S3, Absolutely frickin awesome tyres in the wet and dry, and they aren't that expensive either!

Trust me, I did ALOT of research before hand! lol

Ben

1.8 litre porsche eater!

R-Tech Terrorist Squad - 265bhp & 275lbft

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    never tried them, but in group tests i've seen, they never come near the EagleF1/PS3/Contisport3 in performance.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Wow....what a busy thread! Didn't expect so many responses

Will do some comparing on the back of this, thanks guys!
    Last edited by ShaunS3; 3rd July 2012 at 12:35.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Running Falken 452's at the moment, cant fault them for the price apart from quite a bit of tyre Squeal when out for a spirited drive.

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Eagle F1, Bridgestone Potenzas and currently Contisport 3s, all of these I would highly recommend as they have all been really good, the contis are good and the grip on the potenzas was amazing, however they didnt last that long.

1st Gear

Status
    I have been running 235/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s for the last 2 months and they are just sensational. According to tests they actually perform better in the wet than any other tyre (and I know it does nothing but rain in the UK!! LOL).

In addition they tend to be a whole lot cheaper than other top spec tyres.

They come with a massive rim protector so they look even wider than they are, and almost give a subtle stretched look.

2007 RS4
    2000 S3 APR'd

4th Gear

Status
    Excuse the thread resurrection.

I've just order a set of Falken 452 from my local tyre place, fully fitted etc. for £375.

Fingers crossed I'll like them.

Liam

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

4th Gear

Status
    i wouldnt recommend these to anyone. had 4 new put on a car and 2 bulged very badly in under 2k. plus that seems expensive im sorry to say. heard stories of bad batchs of these so hopefully yours will be fine. definately keep those fingers crossed!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vfr800 View Post
    Excuse the thread resurrection.

I've just order a set of Falken 452 from my local tyre place, fully fitted etc. for £375.

Fingers crossed I'll like them.

Liam
    Thats a result Liam

4th Gear

Status
    This is a great thread read through as I need tyres too and picked the toyo TR1's as I have had them before and they seem pretty good when driving in the rain!

2nd Gear

Status
    i recently got a full set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's and they seem great so far in rain and dry. much better than my old Pirelli P6000's that were on the car when i got it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast