Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By <tuffty/>

Thread: MAF sensor info

5th Gear

Status

MAF sensor info

I have in front of me a brand new maf sensor for a vag 1.8, the part number is 06A 906 461L. I don't know which model 1.8 it is from but the housing is a little smaller in diameter.
    So I took the sensor out and found out the bosch number on the sensor is F 00C 2G2 049. That's the same number as the S3 sensor.
    Think this could be a mistake from the factory?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    A little smaller in diameter than what exactly?

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    A Google search suggests its from a AUM (K03 turbo) engine code

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

5th Gear

Status
    Its smaller than the S3 maf housing, this one is 70mm dia.
    Had a quick search and it seams to be from a gti, beetle turbo, A4 quattro.

5th Gear

Status
    Would all the 1.8t use the same sensor inside different size housings?
    I also notice that these sensors have 5 pins but my S3 maf sensor plug only has 4 pins in it, one is empty. So I check the wire harness and there is only 4 wires. Hope this is normal.

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    Do they still offer the exchange service on MAF`s at the stealers? and if so what does it end up costing if you give your old one back?

As i think i could do with swapping mine out for a new one at some point as i believe mine is still on the original and could be getting a little tired.
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    What are you after exactly? the sensor and/or the housing?

<tuffty/>

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vrbob View Post
    Do they still offer the exchange service on MAF`s at the stealers? and if so what does it end up costing if you give your old one back?

As i think i could do with swapping mine out for a new one at some point as i believe mine is still on the original and could be getting a little tired.
    MAFs are normally on an exchange... last ones I got from GSF and the dealers/TPS were on exchange

<tuffty/>

Status
    just the sensor mate as i have cleaned it but think it could do with a new one.
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Do they still offer the exchange service on MAF`s at the stealers? and if so what does it end up costing if you give your old one back?As i think i could do with swapping mine out for a new one at some point as i believe mine is still on the original and could be getting a little tired.
    Did this last week from GSF....Bosch MAF = £73.20 + £30 surcharge/refundable if you give them your old one (both included VAT)Will be going back up there this week to get my £30 put back on my card

Status
    Cheers for that guys,

for £40 (after the exchange) i think i will do it cos after i cleaned mine my MPG has improved which makes me think its a bit old and tired so will sort one out i think.

Will give the stealers a bell later on.

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Cheers for that guys,for £40 (after the exchange) i think i will do it cos after i cleaned mine my MPG has improved which makes me think its a bit old and tired so will sort one out i think.Will give the stealers a bell later on.
    Sorry mate, may not have been clear, but I spent £103.20 for the MAF- then when I take my old MAF back I'll get £30 credited which is the surcharge cost- so will cost £73.20 at the end of it.....not £40.

3rd Gear

Status
    I got one from a scrappy from a na 1.8 the sensor was same as mine except it had the iat built on it which I snipped off stuck it on my aum with ko3s and all is good

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsuk View Post
    I got one from a scrappy from a na 1.8 the sensor was same as mine except it had the iat built on it which I snipped off stuck it on my aum with ko3s and all is good
    Hi there, quick question. Is the IAT sensor built into the MAF Sensor on an AUDI A3 1.8 2000 5door petrol? if not does anyone know where the IAT sensor is? ive searched the internet with to no avail.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by michael_audi View Post
    Hi there, quick question. Is the IAT sensor built into the MAF Sensor on an AUDI A3 1.8 2000 5door petrol? if not does anyone know where the IAT sensor is? ive searched the internet with to no avail.
    Nope... IAT sensor is next to the throttle body in the inlet manifold...

<tuffty/>

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    Nope... IAT sensor is next to the throttle body in the inlet manifold...

<tuffty/>
    Thanks TUFFTY! i have to be honest ive a newbie with Audis. ive attached an image of the audi a3 engine bay. can you point out where that would be?
    1038-301012-163818-521-PTIMG.jpg

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Scullies View Post
    I have in front of me a brand new maf sensor for a vag 1.8, the part number is 06A 906 461L. I don't know which model 1.8 it is from but the housing is a little smaller in diameter.
    So I took the sensor out and found out the bosch number on the sensor is F 00C 2G2 049. That's the same number as the S3 sensor.
    Think this could be a mistake from the factory?
    seems someone else has found the F 00C 2G2 049 S2 sensor in the 06a 906 461 L MAF (bosch number 0 280 218 063)

Please give credit where credit is due

Might be worth investigating if this could be a cheaper option buy removing the MAF SENSOR and fitting it to the S3 MAF housing.

Next time I'm at the scrappy, I will see if they have any.

FYI - S3 AMK / BAM
    MAF sensor+housing part number is 06A 906 461 M or MX ( Bosch part number is 0 280 218 065)
    MAF sensor only part number is F 00C 2G2 049

3rd Gear

Status
    Don't we know already that the 06A 906 461 L , have the 00C 2G2 049 sensor? (which is the sensor used for wideband S3)

I might have mis-understood your post.

I was going to buy a 06A 906 461 L part and fit its sensor to my AMK S3. This will set me around 125$ instead of 210$
    Audi S3 AMK
    Relentless-Manifold, Relentless-3" downpipe decat, Forge 007 DV, autobahn88 TIP, K&N Panel filter, EBC yellowstuff brake pads, R32 ARB, Custom column dual gauge pod...waiting for a remap!

For help/info/pricing on xs manifold and downpipe pm me (not affiliated, nor a reseller trader, just an enthusiast!)

5th Gear

Status
    well it needs to be tested to see if this works.
    in theory it should work since it was the same Bosch number.

buy one and let us know

3rd Gear

Status
    Will do!

get back to you guys in 4 weeks.

Oh and Scullies, I will be in Abu Dabi in 5 weeks, might give you a call and come see your progress
    Audi S3 AMK
    Relentless-Manifold, Relentless-3" downpipe decat, Forge 007 DV, autobahn88 TIP, K&N Panel filter, EBC yellowstuff brake pads, R32 ARB, Custom column dual gauge pod...waiting for a remap!

For help/info/pricing on xs manifold and downpipe pm me (not affiliated, nor a reseller trader, just an enthusiast!)

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by michael_audi View Post
    Thanks TUFFTY! i have to be honest ive a newbie with Audis. ive attached an image of the audi a3 engine bay. can you point out where that would be?
    1038-301012-163818-521-PTIMG.jpg
    Thats a normally aspirated engine bay not a turbo one... not sure where it is on a non turbo engine... not actually seen one before lol

<tuffty/>
    westcoast a3 likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Ordered 06A 906 461 L

Will be able to give you guys results around 2nd week of August.
    Audi S3 AMK

3rd Gear

Status
    Reporting back: It didn't work. The Maf i ordered is bosch part number 0280218063. Supposed to have the same sensor as our S3/TT 225 ones.

First Picture my original maf sensor

Second sensor is from the new maf

After I switched the sensors i got an error on VCDS about the maf being maxxed out, car runned lean
    Last edited by Chlippo; 18th October 2013 at 13:24.
    Audi S3 AMK