JMB RetrofitsBadger5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: K04 Conversion On Audi A3 AGU HELP PLEASE !!!

Speed Freak !!!

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Chester999 On Twitter Add Chester999 on Facebook Add Chester999 on Google+ Visit Chester999's Youtube Channel Visit Chester999's Instagram Channel

K04 Conversion On Audi A3 AGU HELP PLEASE !!!

Does anybody know if the k03 oil and water feeds will fit the k04 on an audi a3 agu engine or will i have to buy all new ones??
    Last edited by Chester999; 2nd July 2012 at 02:47.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    your need ko4 oil and water feeds, the ko3 ones will not fit. so ive been told

Speed Freak !!!

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Chester999 On Twitter Add Chester999 on Facebook Add Chester999 on Google+ Visit Chester999's Youtube Channel Visit Chester999's Instagram Channel
    ok cheers mate do you know if any of them will fit i have been told that the oil drain wont fit but do you know if any of the others will fit thanks

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    The issue is the turbo sits in the different place, meaning the length and position of the connections all change, and because most of the original lines are rigid pipe even if they were long enough you cant really bend them back into shape anyway.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Alex

Status
    Yeh you will need the K04 pipes, I think I have some spare if you need them.
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

PS3: Broady_11

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    yup, having recently done this myself, the k03 lines will not fit at all, oil, water, you need them all.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Speed Freak !!!

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon S3 View Post
    Yeh you will need the K04 pipes, I think I have some spare if you need them.
    yeah need the ko4 pipes then let me know if you have any spare lemon s3 cheers mate.

Speed Freak !!!

Status

My Social Networking

cheers prawn saved me some time messing about with all the old ones will get all new ones cheers again.

Status
    the nature of this topic begs the next question to be asked also I feel.....

Do you have the right MAF and injectors for the ko4?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speed Freak !!!

Status

My Social Networking

yeah i have a 3" vr6 maf housing on the way which ill put my AGU sensor in (thanks Prawn) and was gonna go for 440cc green top injectors. i have xs power manifold brand new k04-023 turbo a 3" relentless downpipe and decat fmic coldside intake waiting for badger 5 to get some more blue 3" TIP in looking to get about 300bhp do you think this will be poss?

Status
    Ah, sound news. So often people buy complete setups with an S3 mAF and injectors and want it to work on the AGU, when it just wont!

If you've got a brand new turbo then you have a good chance of making good figures, the AGU has higher compression and a large port head which also helps loads. Niki has seen 300bhp from one car that was in good health, although 290ish is more realistic, but who knows!

Who are you planning on getting to map it? and what FMIC do you have?

Speed Freak !!!

Status

My Social Networking

its just a ebay fmic mate with 2.5 inch pipes says it was capable of 600bhp but who knows with ebay would it be worth upgrading it or not? And not to sure about the mapping yet was thinking about r tech.

Status
    So long as the pipes are 2.5''. Sounds like it could be the toyosports kit with a reasonably small core?

You'd be very well off keeping the pipes, but replacing the core with the larger toyosports type B known as the Wellycooler, it's easy to cut into your existing pipework, using the core and two 76-63mm reducers.

The smaller core will not be up to the job of cooling a ko4 flat out. Westy can confirm this, as he gained 25lbft going from the small core to the large one!

Speed Freak !!!

Status

My Social Networking

ok will look into getting a new bigger core then thanks for the info prawn. Quick question have you ever had to rotate your housing on your turbo mine doesnt seem to sit right?

Status
    The ko4 outlet sits differently to the ko3, the ko4 outlet points backwards slightly compared to the ko3, like this:

If you clock the housing round to get the outlet facing the wrong way, the actuator bracket won't fit any more!

Best solved by working out what you need to change and getting a new bit of silicon to join up.

Post a pic of your current setup and we can try and work out what's required

Speed Freak !!!

Status

My Social Networking

Cheers for your help prawn got there in the end lol thought i would post a pic of my k04 conversion still not finished but getting there.

Status
    Where's the pic then

Speed Freak !!!

Status

My Social Networking

wont let me upload it says its the text is too long do i have to make the pic smaller?

Status
    what text mate?

All you should have is a .jpg link, which you put in [img][/img] tags and it'll pop up

Speed Freak !!!

Status

My Social Networking

K04 Conversion picture by Chester_Hancock - Photobucket

here is a link mate having touble uploading photo lol.

Speed Freak !!!

Status

My Social Networking

Speed Freak !!!

Status

My Social Networking

there we go lol quick couple of questions prawn. When i bought my car (Audi a3 1998 1.8t AGU) it had a 195bhp oettinger chip in it on the k03 i have now done the k04 conversion and know that i will need a remap but will i do any damage running it how it is (before the remap) or will it be ok just not running 100%? And went for a little drive after i had done conversion everthing seemed fine the engine was running sweet i drove about 10-15 miles and my brake pedal just went rock soild and hardly works at all any ideas mate?

Status
    brake pedal going solid will be a servo line failled. Either something come off between the inlet and the servo, or potentially a bigger issue could be a melted hard line behind the turbo.

Have you added any extra heat shielding in the engine bay for the new turbo? You need to add LOTS to the A3 engine bay to keep it safe from fire, there are some important lines running across the bulkhead, and bolting on a ko4 with relentless manifold is sure to cook several of them if unprotected. the standard heat shield isn't enough.

Also, with regards to driving it, what injectors and MAF do you ahve in currently?

The mAF tube in your pic above looks big, and if it's unmapped, that'll be running lean as hell on stock injectors. if you've already put bigger injectors in, then it'll all be to cock and who knows what it's doing!

If you want to drive it at the moment before it's been mapped, what you need to do is sleeve and refit your stock 70mm MAF tube, and refit your stock AGU injectors.

Then unplug the N75 electrical plug leaving the pipes plumbed in. That'll drop boost to actuator pressure, around 6psi, which shuld stop it from blowing up.

With that MAF tube, and the N75 plugged in, if you floor it, it WILL blow up, maybe not instantly, but it won't take long at all to destroy it

Who's mapping it? and when?
    antwan64og likes this.

Speed Freak !!!

Status

My Social Networking

thanks again prawn your a legend it was the plastic pipe coming off the servo to the inlet had melted will replace with some rubber metal braided hose and more heat shielding where did you get your hest shield from cant find any as good as yours? And i currently have my standard injectors in but have put the bigger maf on so ill swap back for now then till i get it mapped. Was gonna go to r tech for the map but want to get clutch,flywheel and cambelt water pump done etc before.

Speed Freak !!!

Status

My Social Networking

What would be the best clutch for my setup and will the clutch bolt straight on ?

Status
    If you havn't already, take a look in my build thread around Mid Jan of this year and I put up detailed pics of all the heat shielding I added. I have the double layer stuff from merlin Motorsport, not cheap, but very effetive. If it's been melting things at the back of the bay already I'd get it done ASAP.

As for your MAF, change back to stock ASAP. If you're new tube is 80mm, you'll be underfuelling by around 38%! scary ****.

As for the clutch and flywheel, what you want is an ABF flywheel, and a VR6 clutch. Use the flywheel bolts from an ABF as well, and the whole lot will drop straight on without any messing around. It's ligther than standard, gives a lighter pedal feel, and will hold over 300lbft.

Speed Freak !!!

Status

My Social Networking

Right got some braided pipe and heat shielding on the way have changed my maf back to standard with sleeve on will be looking out for vr6 clutch and abf flywheel then having cambelt and water pump done then off to r tech for the map. Prawn what did you do about the turbo bracket that sits on the bottom of the turbo and bolts to the engine my new turbo did not come with one and the one off my k03 will not fit??

Status
    Find one from a ko4 car mate. Just message someone breaking a car on ebay and see if they will sell you the bracket only

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester999 View Post
    Right got some braided pipe and heat shielding on the way have changed my maf back to standard with sleeve on will be looking out for vr6 clutch and abf flywheel then having cambelt and water pump done then off to r tech for the map. Prawn what did you do about the turbo bracket that sits on the bottom of the turbo and bolts to the engine my new turbo did not come with one and the one off my k03 will not fit??
    What heat shielding did u buy

Speed Freak !!!

Status

My Social Networking

just got some off ebay mate heres the link

HEAT SHIELD / HEAT BARRIER G2 DOUBLE MATERIAL 5.25mm | eBay

thought i would give it ago if its no good then a trip over to merlin motorsports it is lol.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester999 View Post
    just got some off ebay mate heres the link

HEAT SHIELD / HEAT BARRIER G2 DOUBLE MATERIAL 5.25mm | eBay

thought i would give it ago if its no good then a trip over to merlin motorsports it is lol.
    Cheers man, do you which parts need the additional shielding and your engine bay looks good

Speed Freak !!!

Status

My Social Networking

cheers mate my engine bay is getting there but not finished yet lol you want to make sure you shield the brake servo the turbo outlet pipe and all the pipes at the back of the engine ive already melted the brake pipe coming off the brake servo to the inlet manifold so make sure you shield it all good.

Status
    everything needs a heat shield man! otherwise it'll BURN!!!!

Take a look at my build thread. I put one large heat shield right across the back protecting all the hard lines, and another coming round to the side to protect the servo

Speed Freak !!!

Status

My Social Networking

Alright prawn i have managed to get hold of a VR6 clutch and ABF flywheel off of someone on here called slowcoach3 for an amazing price of £50 including postage cheers mate have not recieved yet but should be here soon only problem is no ABF flywheel bolts do you know where i can get some from ???

Speed Freak !!!

Status

My Social Networking

and going to order the wellycooler aswell is it worth upgrading all the intercooler pipes to 3" dont think mine are even 2.5" ???

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    get the bolts from Audi/VW

2.5" cooler pipes are useful, 3" is overkill.

Speed Freak !!!

Status

My Social Networking

ok cheers mate does anyone know the part number for ABF flywheel bolts and will be getting 2.5" intercooler pipes with the wellycooler then.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    When i fitted my solid flywheel i used N 90206103, thats on an A4, but i believe they all use the same bolts for solid flywheels, 19.5mm long.

Status
    As kev said above, flywheel bolts: vw part no: N90206103 x 6, and clutch pressure plate bolts. vw part no: N10101001 x 6.

2.5'' IC pipes are fine for twice the BHP you'll be pushing, and far easier to fit than 3''. take a look on the FMIC thread page 9 or 10 for my write up and list of parts you'll need.

Speed Freak !!!

Status

My Social Networking

Right got some flywheel bolts and clutch pressure plate bolts on the way cheers lads prawn whats the fmic thread called cant seem to find the right one mate???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast