Daniel's S3 rebuild

Dan s3 audi

Reaction score
Well i brought this car a few months back, on impulse of someone i knew. Its has been quite a big financial mistake. The car is on just over 106k miles so you would not think it would have been too bad. I had to replace the dual mass flywheel with a new clutch not long ago. i replaced the cambelt, and waterpump. Changed the pick up feed, cleaned sump, changed rocker cover gasket etc. But the other week i was driving back from a 300mile journy, when i pulled over and stopped i heard a new kncoking noise. Took it into Jabba sport to have a look, they said my worse fears that it was bottom end. so i took the car home and dropped the sump to fined it had scored the crank (engine out job!) SOOO i brought the car for £3000 spent a £1000 when i got it on parts. Now i have to rebuild the engine so i guess i got shafted here but OHHH well i have fallen in love with the Audi. Trying still to sell my Mk4 Golf gti 1.8t but no one wants it.
Anyway i have decided to do the work all myself as i always fined when i take a vehicle to a graged they either brake something or something break shortly afterwards. and i have been to a few diffrent garages. So its going to take me a very long time but i am giving it a go. well here are a few photos of the car being more and more stripped ready for the engine to be removed.
dsc00244tf.jpg

Car at Cheddar gorge working! :)

dsc00288hh.jpg
dsc00295im.jpg
dsc00296o.jpg

Was going to take the engine out today but i got the wrong tool off ebay for undoing the prop shaft, which is very anoying. Phoned up audi today tho and ordered some new parts:
Crank
Main Bearings
Thrust bearings
both crank seals
oil pump and tensioner
cam chain tensioner
stem seals
big end shells

Now i am looking for some forged rods that are drilled, anyone advise any to me??? i am getting my block bored out to 82.5 and also needing some over sized pistons and rings but yet again dont know of a good make???

Hi dude, where abouts you from? As a sponsor on here badger5 should be able to help. Also a few people on here that will probly be along shortley to help out.

Good luck with the build.

Hi dude, where abouts you from? As a sponsor on here badger5 should be able to help. Also a few people on here that will probly be along shortley to help out.

Good luck with the build.

Well i am from Lincolnshire, yes i may need some help with what parts are best too put in as i have no idea but i want a strong engine. I also what to get around 300bhp out of the car, so i am wondering what is the best set up turbo wise etc.

nice looking car. shame about the damage. do you know the cause? obviously its hard to tell but any signs?
good luck with the build.
theres so many options for power, search for build threads and you can choose the option best suited to you/your budget.

Bill @ Badger 5 normally keeps drilled rods in stock and can get you pistons... JE 82.5mm will do the job (83mm will take you to a 1900 if you wanted to go that far)

<tuffty/>

I am not far off spalding, and yes i have seen a few people use those rods. will be ordering some tbh and i will get the drilled ones as i do a lot of town driving. with the bottom end damage looks like i got contamination in the oil.
Anyway got a phone call off audi today, i have to wait a week for the crank to come from Germany so it will give me some time to clean engine bay etc. I got my engine out today after work, i had a little trouble getting the exhuast off the turbo but i got there with some help. So what sort of price am i looking at for getting some over sized pistons and rings?

dsc00297vf.jpg
dsc00298jn.jpg

well i got the head off the car today after work and it was what i would say a very depressing moment. Pistons are dented from exhuast valves and i found a crack on the head. WHAT DO I DO, the thing i dont get is i had the cam belt changed only a few thousand miles ago. they must have set it a tooth out the ****ers. Anyone got another head that i could buy please????
dsc00300p.jpg
dsc00301ky.jpg
dsc00303ej.jpg
dsc00304xz.jpg
dsc00305uf.jpg

ooooo not good.

its a good opportunity to upgrade to a large port head though. AGU or AEB. ebay as always. look for a golf breaking etc

what work will be need changing the head with a big ported head? same manifold, exhuast manifold?

cheers

yeh the same manifolds can be used they're fine.
with the AEB head a little tab needs machining off, so if you can opt for an AGU.
its a well worthwhile upgrade! if my engine was apart i would DEFINATELY be getting one.

yeh the same manifolds can be used they're fine.
with the AEB head a little tab needs machining off, so if you can opt for an AGU.
its a well worthwhile upgrade! if my engine was apart i would DEFINATELY be getting one.

i will keep a look out for one then

That's not damage from 1 tooth out! That's had a Cambelt snap at some time and either a new head or rebuilt head fitted.

Fit an AGU or AEB head. Everything will just bolt straight up to it. I think you'd be best of getting a good used AGU engine for around £400, rebuild that, then you'll have higher compression and large port head.

yeh i was just about to say, you'l need pistons, a3 and golf pistons are slightly higher compression so considered a bit of an upgrade.
so like beachbuggy says, get hold of a full engine for cheap, there are some bargains out there too

That's not damage from 1 tooth out! That's had a Cambelt snap at some time and either a new head or rebuilt head fitted.

Fit an AGU or AEB head. Everything will just bolt straight up to it. I think you'd be best of getting a good used AGU engine for around £400, rebuild that, then you'll have higher compression and large port head.

so an AGU head i can keep the same cams in with a APY engine?

agreed as Beachbuggy and SuperKarl, just get yourself a good AGU head, and while your at it get a stroker kit since your doing all the work yourself.. i think youll be happy it mate.

impulse being isnt good i know i did it once on my previous A3 didnt go as well should i say.

wathching this thread with great intreast as it looks like ill be doing the smame sort of rebuild well done so far matey looking good

yes everything is transferable, you can use agu cams, or apy
its wise to get it built with new exhaust valve guides if its a high mile one.

There is a good AEB head on ebay, so what needs to be machined is it somthing i could do myself? And are exhuast valve guids stem seals??

Well i wont be getting a strocked kit i am going to get the black re-bored to 82.5 but looking at pistons i dont understand all this diffrent compression ratio stuff. can someone help me out on this one? Cheers :)

i fur going 83mm u might as well get a 2.0 tfsi crank and some 2..0 tfsi forged pistons :D

i have already brought a new standard crank from audi. i just did not know wether you had to change the valve springs if you went to 83 bore

id go 83mm, its the safest bore you can take the block too, and gives you a nice official 1.9cc engine.
compression ratio wise, it depends what you want to do with the car, i mean if you want to slap a big turbo on it then going a lower compression ratio is an ok idea, if not, id be wanting as close to stock as possible if you're keeping the stock turbo.
stock comp ratio is 9:1
i've only ever seen quite low aftermarket pistons at 8:1, which wouldnt be so great if you are keeping the standard turbo.

here is an aeb head, with the relevant tab machined off (threaded hole, looks fresh) post number 1890:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...53-w3stys-progress-thread-19.html#post1507739

and yes the exhaust guides are stem seals.

what was the spec of your car to have bent the rod like that?

Well i took my block into a local engine tuneing place. Ordered some wossener pistons 82.5 £495 for a set not too bad me thinks, once i have them i will take them to the engine place where they will bore to suit. So now i need to decide on a turbo.

Well i took my block into a local engine tuneing place. Ordered some wossener pistons 82.5 £495 for a set not too bad me thinks, once i have them i will take them to the engine place where they will bore to suit. So now i need to decide on a turbo.

Daniel

Thanks for posting this. I am embarking on the same job. Can we hook up. I am from Weston Super Mare. we ARE OBVIOUSLY BOTH MAD, for doing this. i think you have more to give than me having already done it, but i promise to help the other way round in the future!

Thanks for posting all this!

my contact details are 07970 268819

My name is Nigel Banks