247 to 270+ Stage 2 ( how much faster will it feel?)

S3 JOHN

Reaction score
Hi all ,

Im booking my car in for a AMD stage 2 map in the next couple of weeks as im ready now . Im running 247bhp at the moment and have been told that i should be getting 270+ after with the mods im running .
Will it feel like a massive difference ? as from standard to stage 1 made me smile for a long time !

Any info would be great

Many thanks

John

what stage one map are you running?

im running AMD stage one, silicone tip, big filter, forge 007 an made 267bhp

it had a random map on before from a previous owner that was running around 240bhp

you can definatly feel the difference :)

In general and in my experience, any gain of + 15bhp you can FEEL the difference.

So in short yeh, you will notice good difference.

It's more about the gains in torque for stage2, hopefully you will see over 300lb/ft torque! And you will benefit most with in gear accelleration!

what stage one map are you running?

im running AMD stage one, silicone tip, big filter, forge 007 an made 267bhp

it had a random map on before from a previous owner that was running around 240bhp

you can definatly feel the difference :)

I had a stage one Amd map but it was completely standard when i had it done and it was nearly three years ago now so not sure if there software is better now .
I have a full jetex exhaust ,3" tip , 3" dp+200 cell sports cat and a green panel filter so so i hear i should get a good result from stage 2 .Cant wait!

Stage 2 can lift peak power a bit but mostly its mid range you gain so will feel more drivable overall... its not just about peak power, its area under the curve... Stage 2 prerequisite mods are essential to get the benefits from a stage 2 map... these mods allow the engine to run cooler so that more boost and ignition timing can be dialled in and the ecu won't be pulling it back out due to the engine getting hot... elevated IATs, EGTs and flow restrictions all make the engine run hotter and the ECU will decrease load, increase AFR and pull timing to prevent the engine nuking itself... decent FMIC, 3" DP and sports cat plus other higher flow capable items like the Badger5 TIP, Jetex filter etc will all help....

<tuffty/>

Stage 2 can lift peak power a bit but mostly its mid range you gain so will feel more drivable overall... its not just about peak power, its area under the curve... Stage 2 prerequisite mods are essential to get the benefits from a stage 2 map... these mods allow the engine to run cooler so that more boost and ignition timing can be dialled in and the ecu won't be pulling it back out due to the engine getting hot... elevated IATs, EGTs and flow restrictions all make the engine run hotter and the ECU will decrease load, increase AFR and pull timing to prevent the engine nuking itself... decent FMIC, 3" DP and sports cat plus other higher flow capable items like the Badger5 TIP, Jetex filter etc will all help....

<tuffty/>

elevated IATs, EGTs What do these stand for / mean ?

elevated IATs, EGTs What do these stand for / mean ?

IAT = intake air temps... high intake air temps reduce air density and subsequently power... also promotes pre-ignition/knock due to increased cylinder temps

EGT = exhaust gas temp... high EGTs are just generally bad... typically mean high cylinder temps which will melt things in the engine and promote cracking of metal components such as manifolds and turbo hotsides... ECU counters by chucking in more fuel as this helps cools things down but will also kill power..

<tuffty/>

IAT = intake air temps... high intake air temps reduce air density and subsequently power... also promotes pre-ignition/knock due to increased cylinder temps

EGT = exhaust gas temp... high EGTs are just generally bad... typically mean high cylinder temps which will melt things in the engine and promote cracking of metal components such as manifolds and turbo hotsides... ECU counters by chucking in more fuel as this helps cools things down but will also kill power..

<tuffty/>

Cool Iv learnt sometime today . Many thanks

Have you considered rods for stage 2? Only reason I say this is because ppl have had Rods go with stage 1! thats what's stopping me from going stage 2!

haha isnt the standard rods good for 300bhp?

Its not power that bends them its torque and as said before the age/mileage and how the car has been driven plays a part in to when the rods may go...

Anyone considering doing anything more than stage 2 levels of tune should seriously consider changing the rods...

<tuffty/>

<tuffty/>

would this be why my fuel economy is suffering whilst i'm running stage 2 without an FMIC?

I have ordered the AH Fabs V2 so should only be a matter of time until I can turn things up a bit as running stage 2 with the boost and things turned down a bit at the mo.

would this be why my fuel economy is suffering whilst i'm running stage 2 without an FMIC?

I have ordered the AH Fabs V2 so should only be a matter of time until I can turn things up a bit as running stage 2 with the boost and things turned down a bit at the mo.

It would only affect your fuel economy if you were booting it everywhere lol..

No... driven normally even having a stage 2 with out a FMIC won't adversely affect fuel economy any more than it would normally... if you are having fuel economy issues I would imagine it was something else...

<tuffty/>

Do you reset your trip computer when you fill up so that the MPG calculator is back to 0.00?

I spoke to Rhubarb at GTI Inters and he had low 20s MPG and I told him to reset the calc and it sorted it.

Do you reset your trip computer when you fill up so that the MPG calculator is back to 0.00?

I spoke to Rhubarb at GTI Inters and he had low 20s MPG and I told him to reset the calc and it sorted it.

I don't rely on the DIS for accuracy these days... although with teh motorway trips to GTI last weekend I actually managed a personal best of 27.8mpg (80mph cruising on the motorway)

I use fuelly (Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG) to track my mpg... works pretty well tbh

<tuffty/>

I don't rely on the DIS for accuracy these days... although with teh motorway trips to GTI last weekend I actually managed a personal best of 27.8mpg (80mph cruising on the motorway)

I use fuelly (Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG) to track my mpg... works pretty well tbh

<tuffty/>

Put a 4 bar FPR in and watch your DIS MPG increase by 15% lol

<tuffty/>

lupo managed 34mpg... which is a best for years..
map tweaks have done the trick - yay

lol @ porka driver on m6 sliproad..
cant even outrun a vw lupo, I mean *** - lmao

only 1bar boost in lupo @ time also... haha

i was shyte... lol

only got one run cos of the accident... 6.x - 60 and 14.x 1/4 I think.
mostly ruined by me.. lol... 2nd gear launch felt ok, wheelspin being the enemy and swift gearchanges on the lupo are not the best.. which I confirmed by not being unable to find 3rd when trying.. and afterwards realising I was on middle boost setting anyhow not the 300+bhp level..

with my vbox over xmas it did 5.5sec 0-60 on a frosty night, so confirms my poor performance at inters.
Sadly I did'nt get a 2nd go due to the accident..

I do that but I work out my own economy anyway and use fuelly.. I average low 20s but that is purely town driving so I suppose that's ok..

It would only affect your fuel economy if you were booting it everywhere lol..

No... driven normally even having a stage 2 with out a FMIC won't adversely affect fuel economy any more than it would normally... if you are having fuel economy issues I would imagine it was something else...

<tuffty/>

Ok cheers.. Having thought about it I suppose my economy is average .. Especially for the type of driving I do - just around town all short journeys..

Talking about the rods if they do go what other damage will it do to the car or will the rods just need replacing sorry if it's a dumb question not very clued up with inner engine work myself but most other things on the car I would take on myself :)

Talking about the rods if they do go what other damage will it do to the car or will the rods just need replacing sorry if it's a dumb question not very clued up with inner engine work myself but most other things on the car I would take on myself :)

Depends... could be lucky and get a small bend near the small end... anything beyond that generally scraps the block... worst case is it punches a hole in the block and takes out the crank too... new short engine required after that... assuming it doesn't take the head with it too... which could happen

<tuffty/>

Its a big gamble not to get the rods done with that sort of power. Problem is the rods are not that cheap to replace with the labour to fit them and the price of the rods themselves. Then again replacing an engine is not that cheap either if a rod goes!!!

About £440 for the rods £80 for head bolts around £800+ labour for fitting plus £100 for miscellaneous bits. So roughly £1500 give or take.

About £440 for the rods £80 for head bolts around £800+ labour for fitting plus £100 for miscellaneous bits. So roughly £1500 give or take.

wow not a cheap one then may speak to a family member if he wants to take it on if i decide to do it, labour would be alot cheaper that way for me. Only want about 280 bhp 300 lbft but i know thats still pushing it with standard rods, would rather do things properly and not f up my engine at such low mileage only done 48000 and i payed extra for that when i bought the car so makes sense

Hi all

so im all booked in for my amd stage 2 next sat , Happydays! Im running a 3" tip , relentless 3" DP and 200 cell sports cat , full jetex system and a green cotton panel filter . Also upgraded to 2.0l tfsi coils not sure if this will make any difference ?

Whats your guesses on the BHP after the remap?

Hi all

so im all booked in for my amd stage 2 next sat , Happydays! Im running a 3" tip , relentless 3" DP and 200 cell sports cat , full jetex system and a green cotton panel filter . Also upgraded to 2.0l tfsi coils not sure if this will make any difference ?

Whats your guesses on the BHP after the remap?

I think you'll get 270 but I also think you'll be needing a FMIC pretty soon. My AITs were quite high even on a stage 1 map.

Yeah FMIC will be my next mod to do . Im always on the look out for one up for sale .

put the map off till the fmic is on imo.
you'l end up with a more aggressive map (more boost) so more heat, which the stock stuff wont handle well, while it might end up feeling quicker for a brief moment, itl soon run out of power like stage 1 does through the rev range.

Its to late now all booked in and paid . I only want a couple of months of fun anyway as im off cycling from Melbourne to Perth in oct for three months then fly from Perth to NZ for a year so FMIC is a mod for when i come back . Also want to hybrid when i come back and start chasing some big numbers .