EM TuningChris Nott
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 247 to 270+ Stage 2 ( how much faster will it feel?)

2nd Gear

Status

247 to 270+ Stage 2 ( how much faster will it feel?)

Hi all ,

Im booking my car in for a AMD stage 2 map in the next couple of weeks as im ready now . Im running 247bhp at the moment and have been told that i should be getting 270+ after with the mods im running .
    Will it feel like a massive difference ? as from standard to stage 1 made me smile for a long time !

Any info would be great

Many thanks

John

2. # ADS
    ADS

K4OXE

Status
    what stage one map are you running?

im running AMD stage one, silicone tip, big filter, forge 007 an made 267bhp

it had a random map on before from a previous owner that was running around 240bhp

you can definatly feel the difference
    Silver S3 02 AMK
    !!!!STANDARD S3 EXHAUST FOR SALE!!!!
    PM FOR DETAILS
    click here for
    IN AND AROUND THE M25 RING MEETS

5th Gear

Status
    In general and in my experience, any gain of + 15bhp you can FEEL the difference.

So in short yeh, you will notice good difference.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    It's more about the gains in torque for stage2, hopefully you will see over 300lb/ft torque! And you will benefit most with in gear accelleration!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by knoxie View Post
    what stage one map are you running?

im running AMD stage one, silicone tip, big filter, forge 007 an made 267bhp

it had a random map on before from a previous owner that was running around 240bhp

you can definatly feel the difference

I had a stage one Amd map but it was completely standard when i had it done and it was nearly three years ago now so not sure if there software is better now .
    I have a full jetex exhaust ,3" tip , 3" dp+200 cell sports cat and a green panel filter so so i hear i should get a good result from stage 2 .Cant wait!

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Stage 2 can lift peak power a bit but mostly its mid range you gain so will feel more drivable overall... its not just about peak power, its area under the curve... Stage 2 prerequisite mods are essential to get the benefits from a stage 2 map... these mods allow the engine to run cooler so that more boost and ignition timing can be dialled in and the ecu won't be pulling it back out due to the engine getting hot... elevated IATs, EGTs and flow restrictions all make the engine run hotter and the ECU will decrease load, increase AFR and pull timing to prevent the engine nuking itself... decent FMIC, 3" DP and sports cat plus other higher flow capable items like the Badger5 TIP, Jetex filter etc will all help....

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    Stage 2 can lift peak power a bit but mostly its mid range you gain so will feel more drivable overall... its not just about peak power, its area under the curve... Stage 2 prerequisite mods are essential to get the benefits from a stage 2 map... these mods allow the engine to run cooler so that more boost and ignition timing can be dialled in and the ecu won't be pulling it back out due to the engine getting hot... elevated IATs, EGTs and flow restrictions all make the engine run hotter and the ECU will decrease load, increase AFR and pull timing to prevent the engine nuking itself... decent FMIC, 3" DP and sports cat plus other higher flow capable items like the Badger5 TIP, Jetex filter etc will all help....

<tuffty/>
    elevated IATs, EGTs What do these stand for / mean ?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 JOHN View Post
    elevated IATs, EGTs What do these stand for / mean ?
    IAT = intake air temps... high intake air temps reduce air density and subsequently power... also promotes pre-ignition/knock due to increased cylinder temps

EGT = exhaust gas temp... high EGTs are just generally bad... typically mean high cylinder temps which will melt things in the engine and promote cracking of metal components such as manifolds and turbo hotsides... ECU counters by chucking in more fuel as this helps cools things down but will also kill power..

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

2nd Gear

Status
    IAT = intake air temps... high intake air temps reduce air density and subsequently power... also promotes pre-ignition/knock due to increased cylinder temps

EGT = exhaust gas temp... high EGTs are just generally bad... typically mean high cylinder temps which will melt things in the engine and promote cracking of metal components such as manifolds and turbo hotsides... ECU counters by chucking in more fuel as this helps cools things down but will also kill power..

<tuffty/>
    Cool Iv learnt sometime today . Many thanks

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    Have you considered rods for stage 2? Only reason I say this is because ppl have had Rods go with stage 1! thats what's stopping me from going stage 2!
    its either mapped or broken...

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gops View Post
    Have you considered rods for stage 2? Only reason I say this is because ppl have had Rods go with stage 1! thats what's stopping me from going stage 2!
    pussy
    actualeddie and Big Bang Yam like this.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    pussy
    haha isnt the standard rods good for 300bhp?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Neru View Post
    haha isnt the standard rods good for 300bhp?
    Its not power that bends them its torque and as said before the age/mileage and how the car has been driven plays a part in to when the rods may go...

Anyone considering doing anything more than stage 2 levels of tune should seriously consider changing the rods...

<tuffty/>

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    I'd recommend rods too. I just feel better knowing that they are done.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Events Moderator

Status

<tuffty/>
    would this be why my fuel economy is suffering whilst i'm running stage 2 without an FMIC?

I have ordered the AH Fabs V2 so should only be a matter of time until I can turn things up a bit as running stage 2 with the boost and things turned down a bit at the mo.
    S3 8L Ming Blue 273bhp & 294lbft h

Build/project thread
    check it out!

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JtotheD View Post
    would this be why my fuel economy is suffering whilst i'm running stage 2 without an FMIC?

I have ordered the AH Fabs V2 so should only be a matter of time until I can turn things up a bit as running stage 2 with the boost and things turned down a bit at the mo.
    It would only affect your fuel economy if you were booting it everywhere lol..

No... driven normally even having a stage 2 with out a FMIC won't adversely affect fuel economy any more than it would normally... if you are having fuel economy issues I would imagine it was something else...

<tuffty/>

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JtotheD View Post

Do you reset your trip computer when you fill up so that the MPG calculator is back to 0.00?

I spoke to Rhubarb at GTI Inters and he had low 20s MPG and I told him to reset the calc and it sorted it.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Do you reset your trip computer when you fill up so that the MPG calculator is back to 0.00?

I spoke to Rhubarb at GTI Inters and he had low 20s MPG and I told him to reset the calc and it sorted it.
    I don't rely on the DIS for accuracy these days... although with teh motorway trips to GTI last weekend I actually managed a personal best of 27.8mpg (80mph cruising on the motorway)

I use fuelly (Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG) to track my mpg... works pretty well tbh

<tuffty/>

Status
    I don't rely on the DIS for accuracy these days... although with teh motorway trips to GTI last weekend I actually managed a personal best of 27.8mpg (80mph cruising on the motorway)

I use fuelly (Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG) to track my mpg... works pretty well tbh

<tuffty/>
    Put a 4 bar FPR in and watch your DIS MPG increase by 15% lol
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

RIP S3dave

Status

<tuffty/>
    lupo managed 34mpg... which is a best for years..
    map tweaks have done the trick - yay
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post

<tuffty/>

S3 Drift King!

Status
    I've got a vision of you tweaking the map on the M6 on the way home Bill with a laptop on the passenger seat!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I've got a vision of you tweaking the map on the M6 on the way home Bill with a laptop on the passenger seat!
    Nah... he was too busy annoying Porsche drivers

<tuffty/>

RIP S3dave

Status
    lol @ porka driver on m6 sliproad..
    cant even outrun a vw lupo, I mean ffs - lmao

only 1bar boost in lupo @ time also... haha

bill@badger5.co.uk

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    lol @ porka driver on m6 sliproad..
    cant even outrun a vw lupo, I mean ffs - lmao

only 1bar boost in lupo @ time also... haha
    how did you do on the strip at inters bill?
    a load of us missed your run.

RIP S3dave

Status
    i was shyte... lol

only got one run cos of the accident... 6.x - 60 and 14.x 1/4 I think.
    mostly ruined by me.. lol... 2nd gear launch felt ok, wheelspin being the enemy and swift gearchanges on the lupo are not the best.. which I confirmed by not being unable to find 3rd when trying.. and afterwards realising I was on middle boost setting anyhow not the 300+bhp level..

with my vbox over xmas it did 5.5sec 0-60 on a frosty night, so confirms my poor performance at inters.
    Sadly I did'nt get a 2nd go due to the accident..

bill@badger5.co.uk

Events Moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post

I do that but I work out my own economy anyway and use fuelly.. I average low 20s but that is purely town driving so I suppose that's ok..

Build/project thread
    check it out!

Events Moderator

Status
    It would only affect your fuel economy if you were booting it everywhere lol..

No... driven normally even having a stage 2 with out a FMIC won't adversely affect fuel economy any more than it would normally... if you are having fuel economy issues I would imagine it was something else...

<tuffty/>
    Ok cheers.. Having thought about it I suppose my economy is average .. Especially for the type of driving I do - just around town all short journeys..

Build/project thread
    check it out!

4th Gear

Status
    Talking about the rods if they do go what other damage will it do to the car or will the rods just need replacing sorry if it's a dumb question not very clued up with inner engine work myself but most other things on the car I would take on myself

Status
    I used to get 22mpg for just town driving. Now I get 34 doing 50 mile journeys to and from work mainly in 6th gear!
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dre_S3 View Post
    Talking about the rods if they do go what other damage will it do to the car or will the rods just need replacing sorry if it's a dumb question not very clued up with inner engine work myself but most other things on the car I would take on myself
    Depends... could be lucky and get a small bend near the small end... anything beyond that generally scraps the block... worst case is it punches a hole in the block and takes out the crank too... new short engine required after that... assuming it doesn't take the head with it too... which could happen

<tuffty/>

1st Gear

Status
    Its a big gamble not to get the rods done with that sort of power. Problem is the rods are not that cheap to replace with the labour to fit them and the price of the rods themselves. Then again replacing an engine is not that cheap either if a rod goes!!!

2000 Audi S3 Black. Engine rebuilt Wossner internals, custom map, B5 3" TIP, Haldex blue, sport shifter, H&R ARBs, Green filter, 8P gear knob, 18" RSTTs, K-sport 8 piston 330mm brakes Ferodo pads front & rear, Nitrac disc rear, AP coilovers, adjustable tie arms, Powerflex bushes all round, yellow mount, LCR splitter, 3" DP & decat, 006p & Liquid CUBE, Forge FMIC, 550 injectors, CR Hybrid Turbo Stage 4 and Custom manifold

Audi S3 (310 bhp & 311 lbft)
    Aston Martin V8 Vantage
    CBR 600RR (08 )

4th Gear

Status
    so how much we looking to buy and get the rods changed

1st Gear

Status
    About £440 for the rods £80 for head bolts around £800+ labour for fitting plus £100 for miscellaneous bits. So roughly £1500 give or take.

2000 Audi S3 Black. Engine rebuilt Wossner internals, custom map, B5 3" TIP, Haldex blue, sport shifter, H&R ARBs, Green filter, 8P gear knob, 18" RSTTs, K-sport 8 piston 330mm brakes Ferodo pads front & rear, Nitrac disc rear, AP coilovers, adjustable tie arms, Powerflex bushes all round, yellow mount, LCR splitter, 3" DP & decat, 006p & Liquid CUBE, Forge FMIC, 550 injectors, CR Hybrid Turbo Stage 4 and Custom manifold

Audi S3 (310 bhp & 311 lbft)
    Aston Martin V8 Vantage
    CBR 600RR (08 )

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammy999 View Post
    About £440 for the rods £80 for head bolts around £800+ labour for fitting plus £100 for miscellaneous bits. So roughly £1500 give or take.
    wow not a cheap one then may speak to a family member if he wants to take it on if i decide to do it, labour would be alot cheaper that way for me. Only want about 280 bhp 300 lbft but i know thats still pushing it with standard rods, would rather do things properly and not f up my engine at such low mileage only done 48000 and i payed extra for that when i bought the car so makes sense

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi all

so im all booked in for my amd stage 2 next sat , Happydays! Im running a 3" tip , relentless 3" DP and 200 cell sports cat , full jetex system and a green cotton panel filter . Also upgraded to 2.0l tfsi coils not sure if this will make any difference ?

Whats your guesses on the BHP after the remap?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 JOHN View Post
    Hi all

so im all booked in for my amd stage 2 next sat , Happydays! Im running a 3" tip , relentless 3" DP and 200 cell sports cat , full jetex system and a green cotton panel filter . Also upgraded to 2.0l tfsi coils not sure if this will make any difference ?

Whats your guesses on the BHP after the remap?
    I think you'll get 270 but I also think you'll be needing a FMIC pretty soon. My AITs were quite high even on a stage 1 map.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

2nd Gear

Status
    Yeah FMIC will be my next mod to do . Im always on the look out for one up for sale .

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    put the map off till the fmic is on imo.
    you'l end up with a more aggressive map (more boost) so more heat, which the stock stuff wont handle well, while it might end up feeling quicker for a brief moment, itl soon run out of power like stage 1 does through the rev range.

2nd Gear

Status
    Its to late now all booked in and paid . I only want a couple of months of fun anyway as im off cycling from Melbourne to Perth in oct for three months then fly from Perth to NZ for a year so FMIC is a mod for when i come back . Also want to hybrid when i come back and start chasing some big numbers .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast