My a3 will go fast! (build thread)

Iv got the codes wrote down at home.

I don't go crazy in it as I have been told about Afr's and I don't want to ruin the engine after the nightmare I had before.

right so this is how the code came up on my scanner.

16505.p0121 Throttle/pedal position sensor/switch a curcuit-G69:range/performance

when i type the error in to ross tech it says this.

[h=2]16505/P0121 - Throttle Position Sensor (G69): Implausible Signal[/h][h=4]Possible Symptoms[/h]
  • MIL on
  • Poor engine performance
[h=4]Possible Causes[/h]
  • Wiring Harness issue
  • Failed Throttle Body
  • Failed ECM
[h=4]Possible Solutions[/h]
[h=4]Special Notes[/h]
  • For some vehicles, there may be a TPI with instructions on replacing the terminals for the throttle body.
  • Some ECMs may have a firmware update to address this issue during cold weather.

and the other error is 00575 intake manifold pressure. thats pretty much all it says on the scanner and when i type it in to ross tech i get this.

[h=3]00575 - Intake Manifold Pressure: Control Limit Not Reached[/h][h=4]Possible Symptoms[/h]
  • Sudden complete loss of Power
  • Reduced Power
[h=4]Possible Causes[/h]
  • Hoses incorrect connected, disconnected, blocked or leaking
  • Pressure Unit for Turbo Charger defective
  • Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75) defective
  • Check Hoses
  • Check Pressure Unit for Turbo Charger
  • Check Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75)
  • Check Basic Setting > MVB 011

[h=3]00575 - Intake Manifold Pressure: Control Limit Exceeded[/h][h=4]Possible Symptoms[/h]
  • Sudden complete loss of Power
  • Reduced Power
  • Charge Pressure too High
[h=4]Possible Causes[/h]
  • Turbo Charger defective
  • Check Basic Setting > MVB 011

[h=3]00575 - Intake Manifold Pressure: Control Difference[/h][h=4]Possible Symptoms[/h]
  • Reduced Power
[h=4]Possible Causes[/h]
  • Hoses incorrect connected, disconnected, blocked or leaking
  • Check Hoses

with it saying about the n75 not working that would be correct wouldn't it because its not plugged in, also the charge pressure to high that would be correct as well because of the new turbo, at a guess anyway.

you should have a code for N75 circuit open to ground! why's that missing. haha

haha i do have that code, i actually know why that code is there that's the reason for not posting.

so just for prawn there is also the error of the n75 not been plugged in :p

Excellent!

If it's running OK, I'd focus on taking it to be mapped and ironing out any small issues then. Apart from the throttle body which you'll want to sort before hand.

yeah man i know this but its just money i don't get paid mega bucks like some of you lot on here :p i only get 800 a month soon to go up in September when my pay rise comes through.

and i need four tyres 400 quid so on pay day its either tyres or power lol (my tyres are not bald just cracked)

i did have a little read about people re aligning the TB see if that fixes it or it could be the pedal assembly.

Last edited:
*UPDATE*

in the car park at work i cleared all the codes and checked all the wiring and pipes going to and from the TB, i ran the TB alignment drove home (only about 5-8 miles) and scanned the car again and the code did not show back up...

you guys think that the drive home was not long enough for the code to come back up.

Mine had a similar code, and i cured it by unplugging and replugging the TB connector a few times, was just some corrosion on the pins.

I was going to go one step further and take cake as well as hobnobs.

R-tech said the car will be with them for a week, so as long as I don't have to supply them with a week's worth haha

How comes it needs a week? Due to the M3.8 management?

I think in that case thats the final nail in the coffin for the avant, it'll need to go on ME7.5 as well.

Custom mapping on the Me3.8 is always in for a week at R-tech. Niki takes his time and road tests the cars as well to make sure everything is spot on.

Rather than booking out a day to one car, to keep costs down he'll dyno them in the evening and make map changes, then road test them after work and make any changes the next evening so it's done over a period of time rather than an expensive full day of dyno time.

Custom mapping on the Me3.8 is always in for a week at R-tech. Niki takes his time and road tests the cars as well to make sure everything is spot on.

Rather than booking out a day to one car, to keep costs down he'll dyno them in the evening and make map changes, then road test them after work and make any changes the next evening so it's done over a period of time rather than an expensive full day of dyno time.

Thought as much.

I've been swithering for a while about what to do with the tune for the avant. I think that seals the deal though, i couldnt go without the car for a week, and there would be 3 lots of fuel as we'd have to drive down there with an extra car both times.

The extra fuel alone will probably cover most of the costs of converting to ME7.

I gotta say well done mate,doing all this hare work in no time and by yourself aswell.I really need to pull my finger out and get involved lol.hopefully before the end of the year,I bet you can't wait till.its done

I gotta say well done mate,doing all this hare work in no time and by yourself aswell.I really need to pull my finger out and get involved lol.hopefully before the end of the year,I bet you can't wait till.its done

Cheers man, its been an experience doing all this work with just one of my mates.

I am looking forward to it but I'm more sh1ting my self as the car hasn't been above 4k rpm since it was built.

But at least I won't be there to see it on the rollers getting its head kicked in lol

Mine was like that, I built it and drove it so carefully, never putting my foot down at all for fear of damaging something.

Then it went to R-tech, niki threw on the MAF and injectors and did some very basic scaling for an initial run, and BANG! 312bhp at 16psi straight off! first couple of runs. big grins all round :)

It'll be well worth it mate :) you're going to love it.

Reactions: coatesy
Would you give advice on stuff I should change before I go down, like get a new maf or something along them lines.

Also what would cause a drop in power when driving on boost.

Where I live in the little village to get out of it you have to cross a dual carriage way, some times you have to give it some to avoid be rammed from behind.

As pulling out of where I live I was in third got to about 3.5k rpm and got a loss of power abit like when the n75 to turbo boost feed comes off.

Car was fine driving the rest of the way but as you all know its only been driven like a granny since its been rebuilt.

I checked everything when I got to my Gf's and everything is where it should be all nice and tight.

I guess it would of been the maf going crap what's all this air doing trying to come in.

Sorry this was wrote on a phone....

Last edited:
after doing some reading about my strange loss of power, i read it could be form a dead/dieing coil pack or the MAF.

anybody shed some light on this?

trust my luck to book a remap then something goes wrong.

I had this a fee weeks ago,when I cleared the code the car kept stalling while driving!

I checked my by getting my local garage to scan the g flow from the maf as I reved the engine.on idle it should have a certain about of flow going through. I knew mine was dead as it was like 0.05g at idle and at 3k.

I'd you do need a new maf,take your old one off and exchange it at euro car parts.I got mine for 80quid I think. Then when you go to get mapped,nick will just swap the sensor to the vr6 maf housing.

I had this a fee weeks ago,when I cleared the code the car kept stalling while driving!

I checked my by getting my local garage to scan the g flow from the maf as I reved the engine.on idle it should have a certain about of flow going through. I knew mine was dead as it was like 0.05g at idle and at 3k.

I'd you do need a new maf,take your old one off and exchange it at euro car parts.I got mine for 80quid I think. Then when you go to get mapped,nick will just swap the sensor to the vr6 maf housing.

im going to get a new maf, even if its not completely dead, id rather have niki working with fresh stuff so the car makes the best power.

im getting excited now lol :racer:

Just call up another Gsf,quote that part number to check they have it in stock then go swap it with your current dead one.they don't have to see your car.and it shouldn't matter if its modified

Hmm, very early cars have an odd AFM that is really expensive. I thaught all A3's got the later type, but if your car is really early it might well have the older expensive one.

Hey all looks like its coming along nicely. Ecp and gsf do a trade in for your old maf(aslong as its bosch) and give you a bosch back. A stalling 1.8t is a nause, had this and it was a slightly dirty throttle body, take it off, give it a clean with some electrical degreaser and a cloth, both sides. Loads say they have but i doubt they cleaned it properly.

my a3 is one of the first i think, it is a 1997.

iv still got the receipt from Audi to a car sales in London. 22 and abit thousand pounds it was back in the day .

i have been on the phone to my mate at TPS he said he will sell me one now. there £254 with no swaps for my old one as no where will swap a maf from my a3 as its before 1998.

iv even noticed on GSF and ECP that the maf i need has no return thingy on it.

oh well back to the scrounge ...... any one lend me MAF money.... ill send you photos of my side boob (i wont even shave it!)

the ECP Bosch mafs are all recon units, and they do not work like an original one! I went through 4, and ended up using an ancient sensor that came with my VR6 housing because the ECP/GSF recon Bosch MAFs all sent LTFT's adrift.

AGU's do have the very early 4 wire MAF Kev. they cost a fortune, and TPS don't do exchange on them, brand spankers only!

i rang my mate at TPS and he said he cant sell me one because my car is modified and it would come with no warranty any way.

Unrelated comment here, but I'd tell your mate that it's none of his ****ing business! You're a customer, he works on the till. you ask, he provides. The end. the fact that he has background knowledge about your car is meaningless. - Jobsworth!

Unrelated comment here, but I'd tell your mate that it's none of his ****ing business! You're a customer, he works on the till. you ask, he provides. The end. the fact that he has background knowledge about your car is meaningless. - Jobsworth!

i did question this all the blokes no what has been done to my car they all ask question about it and are happy to sell me parts, its down to knobs buying them and saying there broke and then start kicking off that they don't work when its either because there car is not set up right or there just tools and don't know what there in about.

im getting one from him at tps 254 quid but he will be discounting that as well because he sorts me out.

also good news, no need to get too excited of pictures of my side boob in return for moneys, my girlfriend has volunteered to sort me right out with some cash moneys until i can afford to sort her back out. i owe her a fortune or should i say my car does lol