My a3 will go fast! (build thread)

Looks cool mate, is she ming blue? I had a minger but it was never as clean as that.

Looks cool mate, is she ming blue? I had a minger but it was never as clean as that.

cheers man :D, but no she's not a minger, its Europa mica blue a colour they stopped producing in 1996 so quite rare i think from what iv googled but you know what the internet is like you cant believe everything you read lol.

Looking good mate!

Not keen on that first IC pipe though, if that's a 90 at the back it'll be very kinked, would be neater with a silicon 90, then 2 45's over the engine and down rather than doing it all in 2 bends like that.

Ha thought it was too bright to be a minger but just couldnt tell cus i never polished mine up lol

Looks a nice example of what an a3 should be dude, if i have any advice itl be never sell it, no other car will put a smile on your face for the same money spent imo

Ha thought it was too bright to be a minger but just couldnt tell cus i never polished mine up lol

Looks a nice example of what an a3 should be dude, if i have any advice itl be never sell it, no other car will put a smile on your face for the same money spent imo

thanks man, im never going to sell it that's why iv put so much money in to it, once the engine is all done ill be getting it repainted in the same colour. its got a couple of bits of rust on it, iv got a new boot lid in the shed as well because there's quite alot of rust on the one that's on the car, well i say alot its about a 20 pence sized piece but in my perverted eyes that's loads lol

Looking good mate!

Not keen on that first IC pipe though, if that's a 90 at the back it'll be very kinked, would be neater with a silicon 90, then 2 45's over the engine and down rather than doing it all in 2 bends like that.

your right its just for now i ran out of money and didn't quite get my angles right, basically i was a man about it and looked at it and went yes that will blatantly fit lol

cheers man. i really really really cant wait to get it mapped but i think it will be pretty undrivable, until i stick a diff in it, that's something ill have to pick prawns and bills brains over.

Shouldn't be too bad mate :) if it's mapped smoothly it won't be an issue.

Plenty of LCR's out there with 280bhp and no diff

Nice work dude, keen to see how well this goes once mapped.

Shouldn't be too bad mate :) if it's mapped smoothly it won't be an issue.

Plenty of LCR's out there with 280bhp and no diff

its bad now in first and second if pulling out of function hard. but in second if the power is laid down smooth it pulls like a train but then i get a little voice in the back of my mind that comes from tuffty, saying don't go mad until its mapped because of not knowing what the afr is like.

im sure r-tech will do the right map. ill have to ring them once iv got some cash together its useless emailing them i got a reply from someone asking if i could tell them everything i had done to the car then after that no reply :(

Nice work dude, keen to see how well this goes once mapped.

cheers man, im far to excited to get it mapped but it needs loads of stuff before then, when i was doing some work on it the other day i notice that its doesn't need two tyer's any more its needs four :\

and some bushes on the rear of the car and some new rear brake lines :(

Niki is hard to get hold of, but it's well worth it!

I assume you're running with the N75 unplugged at the moment?

Niki is hard to get hold of, but it's well worth it!

I assume you're running with the N75 unplugged at the moment?

yeah its running with he old maf some how stuck in the end of the 3" TIP and the n75 is unplugged and its still got the standard injectors in, i think im doing it right, but the thing with the turbo is actuator pressure is 11psi and the car was only 6-8 psi before lol

i don't know if that will make any difference, i try not to put my foot down but its like saying to a kid, no don't eat them sweets you can blatantly see and reach

So long as 11psi on the new turbo doesnt run off the end of the MAF scale, or exceed the injectors limits then you shouldnt have a problem.

Might be worth doing a log of airflow, injector duty cycle and ignition pull just so you can see whats happening.

Can you tell me what I have to log and a easy man's way of doing it no point in giving me a link to the Ross tech website because I don't understand any of it lol

Had the worst day ever today, I took prawns advice and bought some extra 45s to make the bay look tidy and to make the pipe coming off the turbo not kinked.

now none of the pipes will stay together....

What an ar$e on iv just given up for today.

I have used both jcs hi grips and malikor clamps

Do the alloy pipes you are joining with have beaded ends?

Mikalors are crap on alloy... stick to the JCS Hi Grips

<tuffty/>

yup, avoid mikalors, they're horrid things on charge pipes!

Beaded ends are required too! unless you've cut them down?

You'll really need to weld a bead on.

You might get away with roughing the sealing area up with a file, to give more friction for the pipe to grip onto.

Sounds bad but it works ( i found out on the side of the M1) Clean the pipe and hose. Use some hair spray , Give the hose and pipe a spray and then put them together and use a standard hose clip. problem solved ,

not sure what psi your running, but maybe roughen up the pipe, and the inside of the silicone pipe. then use a little bit of clear silicone and lightly smear a thin layer right round, then do the clamp up. worked on a mates s14 that kept blowing its ic to tb pipe.

once the silicones dry it should hold, and of course isnt a permanent thing as it can be pulled or pealed off at such time you need to.

another way i though, is get the cut end and mark a line all the way round inside say 1/4", then find a rounded ended tool like a mansory chisel and slowly work your way round inside hammering a bead in to it. maybe try it on a off-cut? other wise not sure were you can get a pipe beaded.

awesome advise but i cant weld :( nor do i have a welding set.

how do i use an adjustable spanner, i have plenty of these in all different shapes and sizes.

awesome advise but i cant weld :( nor do i have a welding set.

how do i use an adjustable spanner, i have plenty of these in all different shapes and sizes.

Pikey mod is to get a pair of pliers and tweak the edge over a bit all the way round the edge...

Alternatively Bill does a bead roll service if you have a few to do... can't remember how much he charges off hand (couple of quid per bead??) but if you have a few to do then its postage costs (Bill has a flat courier rate of just under a tenner) plus however many beads need doing...

<tuffty/>

Pikey mod is to get a pair of pliers and tweak the edge over a bit all the way round the edge...

Alternatively Bill does a bead roll service if you have a few to do... can't remember how much he charges off hand (couple of quid per bead??) but if you have a few to do then its postage costs (Bill has a flat courier rate of just under a tenner) plus however many beads need doing...

<tuffty/>

that would be awesome but i need the car to go to work tomorrow, im going to play pikey in the garage and see what i can make, probably nothing more than a mess.

iv fix my pipe problem. used some JCS HI-GRIPS.

i scanned the car to see if there was any errors and this came up:

[h=2]16505/P0121 - Throttle Position Sensor (G69): Implausible Signal[/h]
anybody know any more about this iv looked on ross tech's website and the plug seems okay.

also an error for intake manifold pressure came up... im guessing that would be because of the larger turbo, i don't really know.

intake pressure limit exceeded? Shouldnt really be getting that at actuator pressure, but I wouldn't worry TOO much for now. what pressure IS it running on actuator? Throttle pot code sounds odd. Not heard that one before. I'd try giving it a good clean out, and checking the plug over, and seeing what happens.

Implausable signal is normally a signal outside the thresholds of what the ecu expects... normally due to a wiring issue and almost always earthing issues...

<tuffty/>

Assuming this has still not been mapped you are running with the N75 electrically disconnected until it has?

<tuffty/>

On Ross tech it said something about cold weather surly it wouldnt be the new intercooler.

The car is running at 11psi on actuator pressure.

The n75 is disconnect electrically.

oh.

11psi on a hybrid with ko4 internals? I'd be pretty certain that'll be beyond the limits of the standard injectors and MAF. i'd be backing off if I were you man!

have you logged g/s yet?