My a3 will go fast! (build thread)

lol, i was being serious, dremel or die grinder job, just make sure its smooth with no points or sharp edges.

i know i couldn't help my self but to have a bit of a joke.

I am not surprised it didn't let go straight away... you have only really been running on idle than loading up and the valves are quite strong as a rule... its more a stress related fracture at a guess... you should see evidence of this on the top of the valve stem where it snapped

<tuffty/>

yeah im waiting until tonight to get the valve spring compressor back to strip the head again and check it all over, we checked the valve guide and that doesn't look to be damaged at all and the stem seal looked all good, hopefully just a case of bad look and nothing queer has happened to the head.

new valves and piston ordered, i will get them tomorrow then fingers crossed no more gay things will go wrong and bosh car will be done engine wise.

Gutted, the piston you getting AGU? As they are higher compression too others so you just want to ensure its the same as fitting say a BAM one will cause other issues.

I made sure it was a agu piston.

Took all the valves out of the head tonight turned out there was a couple of wonky exhaust valves but there all getting changed now, all the guides are sound.

Next thing to check is to see if there is any pieces of valve or piston in the turbo. Then get the new valves in tomorrow then wait for the piston.

box of new valves.

the most funnest job in the world began, laping valves in.

i repaired the damage to the head that the snapped valves had caused.

all valves in the head all springs in CORRECTLY this time.

i received my piston last night so that will be getting boshed in the car tonight, might even have it running.

Last edited by a moderator:
update!

it lives! yey! runs smooth as can be.

only problem is that the manifold from turbo to manifold is blowing.

iv still got a couple of things to tidy up like the catch can and a few other pipes.

now just to brake it in and get all the other bits fitted but at least the engine is done.

i managed to fix the leak from the turbo to manifold, i also fitted my new THS engine mounts, what a world of difference it makes actually having engine mounts that aren't completly depleted.

iv done 130 miles so far i can feel the engine getting stronger every time i get in it. the turbo just wants to spool for fun, i cant wait to get it broken in properly, but first iv got to save some penny's to be able to get it mapped.

any one got any tips on what to do when your starter motor makes a grinding noise after starting the car, it only lasts a second or so.

I assume you are driving with the N75 disconnected for the time being?

<tuffty/>

Yes... electrically disconnected that is :)

It should be plumbed in properly but electrically disconnected so all it will do is run actuator pressure...

<tuffty/>

Yes... electrically disconnected that is :)

It should be plumbed in properly but electrically disconnected so all it will do is run actuator pressure...

<tuffty/>

yeah man, this is how i have the car running now.

i take it i can leave the n75 unplugged until it goes in for mapping. same with leave the new injectors out and the vr6 maf housing until it goes for mapping also.

yeah man, this is how i have the car running now.

i take it i can leave the n75 unplugged until it goes in for mapping. same with leave the new injectors out and the vr6 maf housing until it goes for mapping also.

Should be fine... I would be doing some logging though as a precaution... I assume you haven't got a wideband gauge?

<tuffty/>

So to make a long story short its a k04 with a k03s hoy side lol., does the hot side and shaft all bolt on bar a little fiddling? I you running k04 turbine or k03s.? Thinking that hybrid might make good power considering

I assume you haven't got a wideband gauge?

<tuffty/>

at a guess i think you are getting at wide and narrow band ecu stuff.

i know iv got the old crappy me3.8 same as what prawn has.

i don't really know much about this stuff, im pretty new to this stuff, even though i managed to plan and gather all this stuff for my build and then go on to build the engine with a mate lol

So to make a long story short its a k04 with a k03s hoy side lol., does the hot side and shaft all bolt on bar a little fiddling? I you running k04 turbine or k03s.? Thinking that hybrid might make good power considering

your almost right its a k03s hot side with a little porting done to it, and its a k04 cold side with k04 insides

some more updates.

but because im a massive huge penis i forgot to take photos but im sure you all know what im talking about anyway.

soooo iv fitted my new THS engine mounts and my LCR fuel pump as well as a new fuel filter plus a new fuel line because im an fool and snapped a fuel line while working in the engine bay.

next on the list is try and get as much done on Sunday as possibly im going for fit new brake lines, 312mm brakes, wishbones, top mounts, coilovers, cv's and drop links due to the lack of funds after things went tits up and it had to buy new valves and a piston i couldn't afford my ARB's so they will have to wait for a couple of months as this months wage is for a remap :D and next will be for some tyres.

Next problem is your intercooler pipework :p

Niki found that above 240bhp or so from a ko4 compressor wheel the back pressure in the pipework and ebay core is just too great, and it can't flow more easily.

Replaced for 2.5'' pipework on the car in question netted the same power on about 8psi less boost such was the restriction!

Who did you say was mapping it? I think I've asked, but forgotten :p

Next problem is your intercooler pipework :p

Niki found that above 240bhp or so from a ko4 compressor wheel the back pressure in the pipework and ebay core is just too great, and it can't flow more easily.

Replaced for 2.5'' pipework on the car in question netted the same power on about 8psi less boost such was the restriction!

Who did you say was mapping it? I think I've asked, but forgotten :p

so id only need to change one side of my piping and the TB side is already 2.5 maybe more and the other side is just what came with the cooler.

im trying to get R-tech to do the mapping for me im currently waiting for an email back from them.

cheers for the heads up ill get looking in to some bigger piping.

if you're on the ebay core, you could do with a bigger core as well. Eek. Sorry to keep adding money!

The best thing you could do would be to fit a wellcooler setup like mine, total cost was £240 all in for the whole lot, and it's truly epic.

As prawn said, the hotside of the Intercooler pipework is very restrictive.r tech told me the same think week before last. Also you'll be better off calling them as they are a very busy bunch

if you're on the ebay core, you could do with a bigger core as well. Eek. Sorry to keep adding money!

The best thing you could do would be to fit a wellcooler setup like mine, total cost was £240 all in for the whole lot, and it's truly epic.

my core is pretty chunky its the toyosports core cant remember how big it is but anyway i don't suppose you still have the guide you gave someone on to fitting a welly cooler to an a3 as well as all the bits you used, that would be awesome if you could sort me with that.

As prawn said, the hotside of the Intercooler pipework is very restrictive.r tech told me the same think week before last. Also you'll be better off calling them as they are a very busy bunch

i best not call them to soon as it would seem im not quite there yet and this way it stops me travelling all the way down to r-tech for them to go yeah its not done right yet go home fix it come back.

all the info is somewhere in my build thread around mid January dude, or on page 9 of the FMIC stickies

Got any pics etc of the TIP fitment? I know from experience this can be an **** to do and I think it would benefit others considering doing this type of conversion :)

<tuffty/>

Got any pics etc of the TIP fitment? I know from experience this can be an **** to do and I think it would benefit others considering doing this type of conversion :)

<tuffty/>

ah tbh because it was that much of a chew on i didn't take photos, as you can imagine once i got it on there was no taking it off to take pictures and put it back on.

but i can say it went on with a hammer and a inch and a half thick steel chisel/pry bar type thing about a foot long maybe more.

using the hammer shaft to reach through all the cables and pipes to push the tip on the turbo once it was some where near. *make sure you DO NOT push the hammer shaft or similar object in to the turbo and shag the turbine*

i found that after i had managed to get it on i took a look from underneath the car to see that the bottom side of the tip was not on properly this is where the long solid object came in to it (no not a penis) and simply put the bar on to the tip at the bottom and pulled it on. kind of hard to explain but once your under the car you will see what i mean, if not use more hammer its always good.

must also say i take no responsibility for people breaking fingers, turbo's, hoses, pipes. using my red-neck methods.

is this a B5 KO4 TIP onto a ko3 fitment hybrid we're talking about?

if i remember correctly you said

this is a ****ty silicon SFS (no offense Coatsey :p) silicon jobber so he can just mash teh crap out of it until it fits around the gear cables somehow !
which is true but with my luck bill brings out his v3 b5 tip which i would of rather of used, but f*ck taking it off to try and fit a new one lol

and yes it is a K04 TIP on a K03 mounted hybrid

new brakes went on last week. 312mm. along with new braided hoses.

received my new wellycooler

and the car is also low now i fitted my coilovers last week just need to take a photo for the thread.

Well done on the build thread dude, shame about your ups and downs, cant wait to see the results.

I knew that PT, hence why I said ko3 fitment hybrid :p

I'd be interested to see an engine bay pic to see where the TIP is coming out, in theory, it'll be very low, and quite far in towards the centre.

Here's one Alex sent me
photo-133.jpg

ahh what a pain in the ar$e it was, brings back all the memory's of thinking fk it set the thing on fire.

but its all good now apart from the remap side of things, considering i just looked at my bank account and iv got 60 quid left.... i don't get paid until the 28th either :( so i am officially taking hands outs of money in exchange for reach around's and extra friendly hand shakes....

bit of an update again.

fitted my wellycooler.

and new pipe work, there is defiantly no room in my bay for anything else.