Sky InsuranceChris Nott

Thread: S3 in NI

1st Gear

Status

S3 in NI

Hello again ladies and gents! Just found an Imola Yellow S3 over here in NI (Audi s3 in Ballymena, County Antrim | Used Audi for sale | Gumtree.com) Is Service history really that important? Ive always been a big advocate of it, but some people say not necessarily. As you can see from the ad its just had a service including having the Haldex done and have contacted the seller reference Timing belt just waiting for a reply. So.... opinions? Im heading down some point this week to have a proper look when work stops being so bloody hectic. Cheers peeps.

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Hi arnie service history is very important mate well at least some history to make sure car hasn't got any hidden problems, make sure u do a hpi check, check the car over thoroughly and make sure it stop starts and goes ok, I know it looks like a good price but don't get ur fingers burnt
    p

THE BLUE BEAST, TAKEN FROM ME, GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
    RTECH STAGE 2 REMAP NOW RUNNING 223 BHP AND 253 FTLB OF TORQUE,
    SUBARU IMPREZA WRX ESTATE SOON TO BE RUNNING 340 BHP
    ANTI LAG/LAUNCH CONTROL/MAF LESS/ LOVE IT !!

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks mate. My gut was telling me the same, but wanted some expert opinions! lol!

R-Tech Terrorist

Status
    Service history is important but not 100% necessary, it depends how many miles the car has done. If it's a 12 year old car with 30,000 miles on it with no service history, it's not as bad as an 8 year old car with 100,000 miles and no service history.. If you get where I'm coming from.

Its a classic case of common sense prevailing here. If it's JUST been serviced, then it should be ok, but if it's a high mileage S3 (80,000 miles plus) and it's never been serviced (as far as you know) then it's going to be pretty gunked up in the engine..

As someone with experience in this field, when someone "loses" the service history book, it's usually because it's got 3 stamps from 8 years ago then nothing up until the year before, either because the owner serviced it himself, or he just couldn't be arsed and neglects his vehicles.

Either way be weary of no service history, but don't rule out the purchase completely if it's a pretty tight car all round besides that.

Ben

1.8 litre porsche eater!

R-Tech Terrorist Squad - 265bhp & 275lbft

Neutral

Status
    That's cheap!

I've a funny feeling that was on Gumtree a few months ago as well, but can't find it

I'd say service history is important, but if bits are missing, then I'd be looking for receipts and any other wee clues that it's been looked after.

Def do a reg check,
    2002 Nogaro blue Audi S3 (BAM)

My intro thread
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...-s3-owner.html

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks guys. Ironically its the cheap price that had the bells ringing! Like i said im not gonna rule this out but i will be interrogating the owner as to receipts proof of work done etc, and simply put if he cant prove anything im walking.

Neutral

Status
    hi arnie, this has been up for a while now probs 3-4 months. you need some sort of proof of mileage for your own records if you so buy it...

1st Gear

Status
    Seen this advertised the other day myself, it looks clean enough in the photo's and it's a decent price, but use the advice above. You'll probably get a good idea of how the car is by talking face to face, if he knows his stuff and doesn't look like a wingnut then it's likely he has at least changed the oil a time or two

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks again everyone. Definitely gonna be cautious but at that price surely its worth a look? Lol!
    To save starting a new thread does anyone know this car?
    2002 AUDI S3 QUATTRO BLUE | eBay
    Its the ideal combo of exterior colour and interior for me! By far my favourite!

Neutral

Status
    Looks well priced for a 2002 car and facelift version over the original yellow one, although the description is a bit on the light side as you're not local lol

MOT until March 2012??? Def best to double check that as well as when it was last serviced including Haldex, and timing belt.

Might also be good to find out what head unit it's got and get a pic of the centre console to see how badly the buttons have worn, if that's a big deal to you lol

Best colour though
    2002 Nogaro blue Audi S3 (BAM)

My intro thread
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...-s3-owner.html

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    mate if i may say where the hell is the sway bar that goes over the engien ???? every S3 has it... and byy the looks of it the suspension top mounts need to be replaced (talking about the imola yellow)

1st Gear

Status
    ^ and this is why im here! Nicely spotted Sevv! Didnt even notice the lack of the bar and the top mounts would have been something i checked when i viewed it. ref the nogaro blue one im ringing him later and will ask him the above questions as well as the list ive got already and good idea reference pics of buttons etc. Cheers feck!
    :edit: Just noticed on the ad for the blue one, that the MOT is march 2013 in the item specifics, so probably a typo in the description. Asked him anyway though.
    Last edited by Arnie013; 27th June 2012 at 12:53.

Neutral

Status
    hi arnie, i think there is a greg s3 forsale on gumtree near templepatrick. dunno if its still forsale, maybe worth a look.

4th Gear

Status
    Good luck viewing cars mate seen the weather report on the news you might be better buying a boat!

1st Gear

Status
    Templepatrick is about 7 miles away!! Why have i not seen this!! lol! Cheers stuarty.
    Scott, its ridiculous! You seen the pic of the police hotspur in the water? Its nearly over the freakin doors!

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnie013 View Post
    Templepatrick is about 7 miles away!! Why have i not seen this!! lol! Cheers stuarty.
    Scott, its ridiculous! You seen the pic of the police hotspur in the water? Its nearly over the freakin doors!
    Aye seen the guy who drove under the bridge and it was completely flooded the guy had to get out of his car and wade out I laughed as he was wearing a nice suit at the time! have you seen the S3 in Ballymena its got a few good mods and you could maybe get the price down

Audi S3 Quattro in Ballymena, County Antrim | Used Audi for sale | Gumtree.com

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah he drove in then reversed out a bit then drove in again! Nugget! I saw that but its out my budget range unfortunately. Ive only 5g to play with and need to put nearly a grand aside for insurance.

4th Gear

Status
    Yeah he drove in then reversed out a bit then drove in again! Nugget! I saw that but its out my budget range unfortunately. Ive only 5g to play with and need to put nearly a grand aside for insurance.
    Well there doesn't seem to be many S3's for sale in NI with the one in Ballymena you could look at it and be cheeky and offer £4,000 and see what the seller says its been on Gumtree for 11 days so you might be lucky!

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah. True. Im having a butchers at a couple saturday so might swing by and chance my arm!
    Or you could sell me yours!

4th Gear

Status
    Yeah. True. Im having a butchers at a couple saturday so might swing by and chance my arm!
    Or you could sell me yours!
    Haha well i'll let you have a shot of it thats fair as I take the car over a few times a year to visit my girlfriends family who live in County Down or if your in Aberfeldy i'm sure you could meet up and have a shot there!

1st Gear

Status
    Haha! Cheers mate. Hopefully ill get a chance to get to some meets in scotland when im on leave!

4th Gear

Status
    Well if you are over in Scotland a bit maybe you should wait a bit and look at cars over here as you may have more of a chance to get yourself a better deal!

Neutral

Status
    hi arnie,found the ad i was talking about. this might be worth a look 2001 s3 quattro great car in Antrim, County Antrim | Used Audi for sale | Gumtree.com

1st Gear

Status
    Scotty. Ive found one in Scotland, might be flying over tuesday to have a look see. | PistonHeads Classifieds
    Stuarty. Im off to view that one tomorrow. cheers lads!

2nd Gear

Status
    Might be the camera light, but it looks z slightly different shade, and S3 badge on
    the wrong side.

4th Gear

Status
    Looks ok I agree with Buzzer and the badges are at the wrong side and plus the seller hasn't declared the price but on the good side the ad does sale quick sell but that could mean a bad thing also! the car in Antrim does have nice wheels tho!

Same car but on Gumtree + price

Audi S3 2003 SWAP in Renfrewshire | Used Audi for sale | Gumtree.com

This one in the West too

AUDI S3 in Glasgow, Edinburgh | Used Audi for sale | Gumtree.com

1st Gear

Status
    The guy wants 3.5k for that yellow one in scotland. The grey one is properly nice,and the wheels? Agreed! Lush!

4th Gear

Status
    How did you get on viewing the cars in the Antrim area??

1st Gear

Status
    Fail. Got called out for work saturday/sunday. Wifes over now so im waiting to go back to blighty next week.