I like these aftermarket front lights

i've seen a chap with the angel eyes on his MK4 golf. They do look good and was wondering whether the'ye available for the audi. Cool. They do look good.!!

Expect before and after pics some time soon... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I saw these a while ago when my boss asked me to have a look for some 'angel eye' clusters (or modifications) for his Maserati (wishful thinking)...

I'm not too concerned about the 'angel-eyes" look to be honest; I'm more keen to get the projector-lamp type look without slicing at my wings with the trusty dremmel. I've heard different opinions, and different concerns... Some people seem to like, some people seem to dislike; some people suggested that light-output from dipped and main beams might not be as good as stock... I personally think they look quite good, giving projectors to pre-facelift with much less effort, I'm pretty indifferent towards getting the 'angel-eyes' effect. - Neither keen nor discgraced at adopting a BMW trait (and this coming from someone who posted a pair of indicator bulbs to a close friend on learning he got a BMW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif); and I couldn't find any conclusive reviews of light-output (plus I consider the stock halogen headlights fitted to my A3 little better than a couple of candles anyway) so I decided the best way to find out is to jump in.

They're available from a few UK suppliers at anything between about £200 and £250; I decided to go with Europerformance because they appeared to be the most kosher of the bunch (top of the price-bracket though), I've also been in touch with FK to check they can be switched for RHD operation, and they assured me that it's catered-for.

I placed the order last week but Europerformance sell them to order, and FK themselves are out-of-stock on their German online-store; so I don't know how long it'll be before they show up. I was already planning to get plenty of before and after shots, including of light-output parked against a fence and on the same stretch of poorly-lit road. I'll link them once they're done...

Take it easy,

Rob.

have you gone for the black or chrome surround?

I dont think they look too bad. I had half thought about drilling out the dimples round my dip and inserting LED's but that was before you could buy them and I wanted to be original. That said, you either have them or Xenon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I went for the chrome surround version...

Even though I think that the 'smoked' surrounds are probably best suited to a black car (which I have), I want to retain some sort of OEM-look. I know the angel-eye sidelight kind of avoids that mantra, but I think that aspect impacts the OEM look overall less than installing the smoked-surround version. I think maybe it's because I see the car's physical aesthetics (including the design of the clusters) and the style of illumination it has (ie, the light that's produced, not what's producing them) as somewhat disconnected. Possibly because the lights aren't always on, and moreso in this case as when I have dipped/main beam on too, the angel-eye effect isn't as prominent.

...But having said all of that, it's simply a matter of personal taste I guess, and I can totally understand that others might not share my thinking on it.

I suppose I'll only know for certain myself how much I like them when they're actually installed; but I'll definately post when they've landed and are installed, and as I say, with some (hopefully) decent before-and-after photos...

Face-lift tail-lights to be installed first anyway, but I'm not taking them back out of the box until I've washed and polished her at the weekend! (The A59 was good and sticky in the heat last sunday and suddenly the heavens opened, meaning my little 1.6 looks (from the back at least) like it could quite easily have a 3.0 TDI lump in it!)

Take it easy,

Rob.

I have a black car and prefer the chrome ones as well. The black ones seem to be more in your face as though you want everyone to know that you have changed the lights. I like the subtle approach so those who have an A3 notice it and others do not. Obviously when the angel eyes are on everyone should notice!

Don't think i'm getting facelift rears as they're the same except with a white band across. Like the pre facelift ones too. If I get some from a scrappy I probably would change them.

Sorry but will look naff IMO

Crystal headlamps with normal indicators nice!

I would much prefer to get the Genuine Audi facelift head lights which actually look like these anyway and are single piece. (This is what I have done)

Also the OEM items will not leak or steam up like these inferior parts will probably do.

How much cutting is involved with installing Facelift headlights?

Just an update on this one;

ep.co.uk have been having some trouble getting hold of stock from FK (they themselves had the parts listed as OOS on their own German online-shop until the other day).
Also there has been some doubt raised by their (ep's) customers (for other clusters AFAIK) regarding the LHD/RHD issue; I explained I'd been in touch with FK direct before ordering and was advised they are swtichable (E-Mail below). So, ep.co.uk are going to send me out a pair as soon as they land and we've agreed I'll be guinea-pig of sorts to confirm or deny their suitability for RHD. Going off what I've heard though, I'm pretty confident they are going to arrive switchable, and perhaps it's a case of RTFM (or maybe babelfish-TFM) which has been lacking from those who've had trouble.

I'll let you know when they arrive...

Rob.

--
E-Mail from FK:

Hello Mr. Bolton,
thank you for your email. Indeed the Angel Eyes for the A3 are swithcable from LHD to RHD. There is a small lever inside the housing, that needs to be switched to change the focus of the lens. With every set ther comes a description on how to change from LHD to RHD.

with best regards

Alexander Kapischke
Export Department
FK-Automotive GmbH
Im Kuchengrund 10
D-71522 Backnang/Germany
Telefon: +49 7191 3275110
Telefax: +49 7191 3275119

sorted! keep us posted.

btw, what does RTFM and TFM mean?

Yeah no worries, I'll definately shout ya once they're here - I'm kinda keen to get them on to see whether they suit or not now.

RTFM - sorry, I sorta typed that without noticing, and probably only IT tech. guys on here would actually make sense of it. It's one for discussions with the most annoying of technophobes, and stands for: Read The F(udging) Manual.

Take it easy,

Rob.

Where the lights at dude? Really want to see what they'll look like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi,

Sorry it all went a bit quiet on this one; I waited and waited and waited for a UK supplier to get stock from FK; and it didn't happen; so I reverted to plan B because I couldn't wait much longer after an un-named member of the household had an accident moving things around in the garage, resulting in me having a crack down the entire length of my off-side headlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif...

newlights.jpg

I decided I would get some facelift lights and some assistance from a chap I know at a bodyshop to chop the wings; I did get hold of some halogens from eBay but they were damaged in the post; so I went buying again and managed to land some xenons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif - I'm going to be sorting the wiring out at the beginning of next week and then fingers crossed off to the bodyshop one evening shortly after.

So no pics of the fabled angel-eyes from me I'm afraid; but I'm glad I've got xenons, because at least I know for certain now that light output will be improved.

Regards,

Rob.

I ordered the FK ones but my supplier couldn't get them either. i'm glad actually because i'm starting to think that they would've cheapened the audi.

Well done on getting some Xenons! Will look much better than the angel eyes and be miles brighter.

I don't think I want to get facelift ones as I think the old square ones look 'meaner'.