Oi leaking

tommyps3

Reaction score
Hello, ive recently bought my 2001 amk engine s3 and just replaced the turbo on it, it seems to be leaking oil on the bottom oil pipe round the gasket and bolts, just wondering wat gasket is best to use and if there is anywhere else it could leak from?

Also after replacment the exhaust was seemingly full of oil most of it has burnt off just winderin how long does it normally take to completely stop!

Any info much appreciated! Thanks

The only gasket to buy is an OEM one... anything else will leak...

Assuming the oil in the exhaust is the result of the previous turbo's failure (turbos seals at a guess) then it will burn out eventually... only real problem is that it could damage the CATs... realistically you would have emptied the oil from the exhaust and probably the charge pipe system too (so both SMIC's and all the hoses) as blown turbo seals tend to fill all this up rather quickly... its rather important that you clean out all the oil as this will continue to be blown into the engine and will affect performance of the car...

<tuffty/>

Yea i cleaned out all the pipework and ic's etc before refitting it all back together, as for the gasket the one that came with the new turbo was a card type gasket and ive read a few threads saying to use a metal one so thats what i done and its leaking still! Cheers for the reply

Yea i cleaned out all the pipework and ic's etc before refitting it all back together, as for the gasket the one that came with the new turbo was a card type gasket and ive read a few threads saying to use a metal one so thats what i done and its leaking still! Cheers for the reply

The cardboard ones are rubbish... OEM metal one all day long... I even use one on my GT30 turbo...

I would be concerned if you have oil still going into the exhaust if you have cleaned it out... it may take a few heat cycles to burn all the residue out of the exhaust as the oil is probably pooling all along the exhaust system... just keep an eye on the oil levels for a little while until you are happy its all ok

<tuffty/>

Ok il order a new gasket monday then get that done! And i think il give the ic pipes etc another clean for peace of mind! Cheers again