Chris NottSky Insurance
Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1
    Lemon S3's Avatar
    Alex

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bicknacre, Essex
    Posts
    1,314

    Horrible engine or turbo whine

    Finally got my car back together, started it up and there's a horrible whine when you rev it. Below is a video of the noise, hopefully someone will have some insight into what it is.



    Also the belt was very tight to get on, literally had to lever it on and i can only twist it 45 degrees. Video below:

    Last edited by Lemon S3; 21st June 2012 at 17:36.
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

    PS3: Broady_11

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Broken Byzan's Avatar
    Photographic Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cardiff, United Kingdom
    Posts
    12,354

    My Social Networking

    Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    I hope that's not what it sounds like. Because it sounds like the turbo to me over the internet anyway.

    How does it drive? do you have a boost gauge?

  4. #3
    Lemon S3's Avatar
    Alex

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bicknacre, Essex
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan Pics View Post
    I hope that's not what it sounds like. Because it sounds like the turbo to me over the internet anyway.

    How does it drive? do you have a boost gauge?
    Yeh thats what i fear as well, i do have a boost gauge but i haven't driven it yet as I'm worried it could be something serious.
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

    PS3: Broady_11

  5. #4
    www.badger5.co.uk

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    nr Glos
    Posts
    6,935
    back together following a major issue?

    does sound like mark says tho....
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

    Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

    Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG


    http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

  6. #5
    Lemon S3's Avatar
    Alex

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bicknacre, Essex
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    back together following a major issue?

    does sound like mark says tho....
    Turbo failure, bought a second hand one on ebay and rebuilt it as it had excessive end float.
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

    PS3: Broady_11

  7. #6
    Broken Byzan's Avatar
    Photographic Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cardiff, United Kingdom
    Posts
    12,354

    My Social Networking

    Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    did it spin freely before you re fitted it post rebuild?

  8. #7
    kwistof's Avatar
    South East Events Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SE Kent
    Posts
    2,100

    My Social Networking

    Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Didn't know you could supercharge a 1.8t S3 lump

    (sorry I had too...hope you get it fixed though bud)

  9. #8
    Lemon S3's Avatar
    Alex

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bicknacre, Essex
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan Pics View Post
    did it spin freely before you re fitted it post rebuild?
    Yeh as far as i can remember it spun really well, hardly any end float and only minimal radial play.
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

    PS3: Broady_11

  10. #9
    coatesy's Avatar
    poking badgers with spoons
    Mouse Race Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,892
    im going to say, you have not tightened the clamp around the top of your turbo properly. i.e. you have your IC piping coming from your turbo and the silicone pipe that joins IC piping and turbo together.

    it sounds like mine did when i didnt tighten it enough and it was the air escaping out of the sides of the silicone pipe, if you drove the car it would sound like a dog whistle when on full boost and obviously it would be a massive boost leak so it wouldn't go very fast, well that is if its the same problem. but it sound 98% the same as my car did.


    EDIT: i could be completely wrong if so my bad, it could also be the insides of the turbo catching on the side of the turbo, surly if it was the company you had do the refurbishment, would refund or at least sort you out.
    Last edited by coatesy; 21st June 2012 at 18:19.

  11. #10
    Y83OLK's Avatar
    Hulk Smash!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    838
    I would be taking the top hose off the turbo and checking for filings... It doesnt sound good.

  12. #11
    Lemon S3's Avatar
    Alex

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bicknacre, Essex
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by coatesy View Post
    im going to say, you have not tightened the clamp around the top of your turbo properly. i.e. you have your IC piping coming from your turbo and the silicone pipe that joins IC piping and turbo together.

    it sounds like mine did when i didnt tighten it enough and it was the air escaping out of the sides of the silicone pipe, if you drove the car it would sound like a dog whistle when on full boost and obviously it would be a massive boost leak so it wouldn't go very fast, well that is if its the same problem. but it sound 98% the same as my car did.


    EDIT: i could be completely wrong if so my bad, it could also be the insides of the turbo catching on the side of the turbo, surly if it was the company you had do the refurbishment, would refund or at least sort you out.
    It's funny you should say that as the top hose was a bit of an awkward fit as the cold side of the turbo was fitted slightly too far round. So now got me thinking (hoping, crossing everything) its not on properly.
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

    PS3: Broady_11

  13. #12
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Milk n Beans (Milton Keynes)
    Posts
    109
    COATESY!
    That's exactly how mine sounds right now! dog whistle when pushed, and serious lack of boost :-(
    Charge pipe knackered? easy fix or multiple hose replacement?

  14. #13
    Lemon S3's Avatar
    Alex

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bicknacre, Essex
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewushu View Post
    COATESY!
    That's exactly how mine sounds right now! dog whistle when pushed, and serious lack of boost :-(
    Charge pipe knackered? easy fix or multiple hose replacement?
    I actually think that the hose connected to the charge pipe and the turbo is common to fail IIRC.
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

    PS3: Broady_11

  15. #14
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Milk n Beans (Milton Keynes)
    Posts
    109
    is it quite obvious then when under the bonnet (ie obvious air escapage?) or do i need to start removing things to visually check for holes/perishing etc? bloody turbos! awesome when working properly, but a bugger when something goes wrong!
    thanks btw ;-)

  16. #15
    beachbuggy's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    1,727
    Did you put sealant around the backplate / compressor housing? Its Definately the turbo sounds like air escaping but also like a blade rubbing on the housing. Afraid to say either way it's a turbo out job.

  17. #16
    Lemon S3's Avatar
    Alex

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bicknacre, Essex
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbuggy View Post
    Did you put sealant around the backplate / compressor housing? Its Definately the turbo sounds like air escaping but also like a blade rubbing on the housing. Afraid to say either way it's a turbo out job.
    No I didn't, would i be able to feel air coming out? What sealant do i need?
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

    PS3: Broady_11

  18. #17
    scotty_24's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Posts
    188
    Thy sounds like a belt rubbing against a plastic cover when I listen to it on my phone?
    REVO Stage 2, Eibach anti roll bar kit, forge 007p diverter valve (yellow spring), Badger5 turbo intake pipe with Jetex filter and Neuspeed heat shield, Forge upper bost hoses, N75, DV and Cam breather hoses, XS Power 3" downpipe 200cell cat and 3" cat back system, Apex 30mm springs, N249 bypass, Oil catch can and PVC delete, Front Mount Intercooler............

  19. #18
    Lemon S3's Avatar
    Alex

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bicknacre, Essex
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty_24 View Post
    Thy sounds like a belt rubbing against a plastic cover when I listen to it on my phone?
    I just went outside and listened n felt while someone else revved it and its definitely coming from the turbo area.

    I just want to curl up in a ball in the corner and
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

    PS3: Broady_11

  20. #19
    superkarl's Avatar
    MAN OF STEEL

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Liverpool/Southport. N west
    Posts
    7,450
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty_24 View Post
    Thy sounds like a belt rubbing against a plastic cover when I listen to it on my phone?
    thats what i first thought

  21. #20
    beachbuggy's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    1,727
    Sorry to say just having listen again properly it's definitely the turbo, remove the tip and see if you can see any wear on the blades or if you move the compressor up/down and sideways while spinning if it catches or rubs. I've also seen one rebuilt turbo that had had the bearing locator tag left out and the bearing was spinning inside the bearing housing making a similar noise. Any sealant will do it just needs to seal the 2 mating surfaces, I use the same gasket that I use on sumps.
    I would really think about remonivg the turbo, arse I know but it won't last long sounding like that.

  22. #21
    Lemon S3's Avatar
    Alex

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bicknacre, Essex
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbuggy View Post
    Sorry to say just having listen again properly it's definitely the turbo, remove the tip and see if you can see any wear on the blades or if you move the compressor up/down and sideways while spinning if it catches or rubs. I've also seen one rebuilt turbo that had had the bearing locator tag left out and the bearing was spinning inside the bearing housing making a similar noise. Any sealant will do it just needs to seal the 2 mating surfaces, I use the same gasket that I use on sumps.
    I would really think about remonivg the turbo, arse I know but it won't last long sounding like that.
    Taken the tip off n had a look, it looks like theres wear on the edges of the turbine and there is a bit of sideways/up/down play.

    Here's a video (Not the best video as its not easy holding a phone and torch in one hand and moving the turbo with the other):
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

    PS3: Broady_11

  23. #22
    Broken Byzan's Avatar
    Photographic Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cardiff, United Kingdom
    Posts
    12,354

    My Social Networking

    Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    it looks like it touches the comp housing from here

  24. #23
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,055
    It looks far to much play there mate... just thinking if the flanges are not tight or worked loose in the middle of the turbo where it splits, wont that cause the play? and can you not get to them to nip them up if loose..?

  25. #24
    beachbuggy's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    1,727
    A) that's fxxxked!!!!!
    B) that's a cheap Chinese copy turbo
    C) no amount of nipping up bolts is going to fix that! it needs replacing completely, blades are bent .

  26. #25
    Lemon S3's Avatar
    Alex

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bicknacre, Essex
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbuggy View Post
    B) that's a cheap Chinese copy turbo
    How can you tell?
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

    PS3: Broady_11

  27. #26
    beachbuggy's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    1,727
    The blue serial tag is missing , unless you removed it but even then its still not a genuine compressor housing. Nothing wrong with the housings it's the internals that are the issues with these.

  28. #27
    Lemon S3's Avatar
    Alex

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bicknacre, Essex
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbuggy View Post
    The blue serial tag is missing , unless you removed it but even then its still not a genuine compressor housing. Nothing wrong with the housings it's the internals that are the issues with these.
    Great, so looks like Ive got to source another turbo......again.......this car is starting to do my head.
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

    PS3: Broady_11

  29. #28
    Lemon S3's Avatar
    Alex

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bicknacre, Essex
    Posts
    1,314
    Got the turbo out, didn't take the head or manifold off, only parts i took off was the tip, charge pipe and drivers wheel. Was actually easier than i thought it would be (thank fudge), upon inspection only 4 of the eight fins are damaged for some reason, its as though its off centre but i don't know how that can be.



    Also found a part number tag:

    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

    PS3: Broady_11

  30. #29
    beachbuggy's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    1,727
    Either out of balance or the shaft is slightly bent will give uneven wear.
    That tag is for the bearing housing but never seen one with a tag on the bearing housing it's self .doesnt mean they dont but Still not convinced its a genuine turbo... Gutted for you though. Pm me if I can be any help.

  31. #30
    beachbuggy's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    1,727
    Does the tag say turbo international? If so its a rebuilt unit as they supply spare parts so Definately not an original, not that that helps you.

  32. #31
    Lemon S3's Avatar
    Alex

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bicknacre, Essex
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbuggy View Post
    Either out of balance or the shaft is slightly bent will give uneven wear.
    That tag is for the bearing housing but never seen one with a tag on the bearing housing it's self .doesnt mean they dont but Still not convinced its a genuine turbo... Gutted for you though. Pm me if I can be any help.
    Think I'm going to just get a new one....well another one....theres one on ebay for 300 and he's only about 30 miles away, he seems pretty certain its genuine. Just waiting for pics of the turbine first.
    Cheers mate, ill keep that in mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by beachbuggy View Post
    Does the tag say turbo international? If so its a rebuilt unit as they supply spare parts so Definately not an original, not that that helps you.
    Yeh just had a closer look and it does say international at the bottom of that logo.
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

    PS3: Broady_11

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. PD130...turbo whine on load?
    By Phil_H in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10th July 2011, 21:51
  2. Turbo Whine?
    By as400 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 25th January 2011, 20:57
  3. Turbo whine after REVO
    By Mini Type R in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12th June 2007, 20:52
  4. Engine is fixed... follow on from engine and turbo is dead
    By PhilR in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 28th March 2007, 23:10
  5. New engine and turbo is now what I need!!!
    By J7USS in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 28th November 2006, 17:29

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO