Badger5Volks Autos
    imported_alecblack

Braking problems

Hi All,

Can someone help me out here?

I am getting vibration through my steering wheel when I am braking but this is only happening when my speed is hitting 50-60mph when i am below or even above that the problem does not exist. I thought it may be my tracking but kwik fit assured me this was not the case. my back brakes (discs & pads) were replaced 3 months ago and the mechanic assured me then that my front brakes were ok and still servicable.

Any suggestions/anyone had this problem before?

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status

Re: Braking problems

It sounds to me like the front discs are warped.
    Although there wouldnt be any vibration at slow speeds, can you feel the discs touching on and off? (It helps when there is rust on them to hear the scrape a little better!)

1st Gear

Status

What are your tyres like???

I had a slight vibration when coming off the throttle around 50 - 70 mph, shortly before replacing the front tyre!

After a new set of boots, no vibration!! They had worn a lot more on the inner side of the tyre, which could have been the cause!!

imported_alecblack

Both of your explanations sound valid.
    kwik fit said to me that the discs were warped without looking at them but i always get a second opinion as they cannot be trusted. My tyres are slighlty more worn on the inside and outside edges, so this could also be the problem.

cheers guys

1st Gear

Status

Even though the brakes are serviceable they could still be warped.

Neutral

Status

also to throw an another option, you could have lost a wheel weight thus throwing the wheel balance, happened to me once before. worth checking this before spending money on brakes at kwik sh!ts say so.

2nd Gear

Status

if the discs are warped then you should still get the vibration over 60mph , take the car to a MOT station and get them to check on the brake rollers as this will show if they are warped or not, it maybe the lower arm bushes

imported_alecblack

Got my car serviced yesterday and it turns out the problem was my discs rusting on the outside edge. This was a relief as it only cost 30 to skim the discs and it has now sorted the problem.

cheers guys