S3 Haldex Controller Questions

Colly

Reaction score
Hi im looking to hopefully get a Haldrex controller for my S3 in the coming months but I have a few questions if anyone could help it would be much appreciated.
What is the difference between the blue and the orange controller?
Do either of them give permanent 50/50 4wd?
Are they just a case of plug-in and play or is there more to it?
I was wondering where is the best place to get one?
Thanks

The orange one enables 4wd under braking whereas the blue ones don't for all im
aware of.. Might be more to it though. Tis alot of money for one though!

if you are fitting the orange one you would need to be uprating the rear drive shafts even on standard power.

you dont have to uprate anything at all!!

people that have fitted them have always said they are brilliant. but not many people think the standard one is that slow so cant justify the expense.
you wont find a bad word from anyone that has one.

but can you justify it that is the question.

to clarify a few things that people dont get. they dont give 50/50 split.
they just send more drive to the rear quicker and more often.
in slow mo videos of a haldex car, you can see delays in the controller sending drive to the rear, the performance ones eliminate the delay. and rather than only send it at WOT, they will split the drive more often.

only worth it if you are a track slag and are looking for the final piece of the puzzle in setting your car up for track imo

The orange one enables 4wd under braking whereas the blue ones don't for all im
aware of.. Might be more to it though. Tis alot of money for one though!

How does this work then? Surely you don't want any wheels being driven under braking...?

you dont have to uprate anything at all!!

people that have fitted them have always said they are brilliant. but not many people think the standard one is that slow so cant justify the expense.
you wont find a bad word from anyone that has one.

but can you justify it that is the question.

to clarify a few things that people dont get. they dont give 50/50 split.
they just send more drive to the rear quicker and more often.
in slow mo videos of a haldex car, you can see delays in the controller sending drive to the rear, the performance ones eliminate the delay. and rather than only send it at WOT, they will split the drive more often.

only worth it if you are a track slag and are looking for the final piece of the puzzle in setting your car up for track imo

Thanks Superkarl so neither controllers give you full time 50/50 4wd or almost full time ?
To be honest my car will never be getting tracked by me but I just want to make it feel a bit more lively I couldn’t even tell you if the rear wheels have kicked in since ive had the car you cant tell.

[Dave B];1610941 said:
How does this work then? Surely you don't want any wheels being driven under braking...?

unsure but yeah you would cause it give you engine braking on the rear of the car too, they wont be driving more dragging

I quite honestly dont understand why these controllers are so expensive, Im pretty sure someone who is clever enough with ECU coding could actually hack the stock one and reprogram it without too much hassle as someone did exactly this on the Lancer Register and now offers flashing of Evo AYC controllers to give you various different settings. The AYC on the Evo is basically the same setup as the Haldex 4wd system except it controls power from left to right rather than front to rear.

Im actually amazed noone has tried this yet as from what I can see on some of the Audi/VAG Ecu flashing forums there are some very very clever people doing some seriously cool stuff with the stock ECU's such as adding in launch control and anti lag.

If I was as clever as some of these people I would deffo be looking into a way to tinker with the Haldex controler too !

I quite honestly dont understand why these controllers are so expensive, Im pretty sure someone who is clever enough with ECU coding could actually hack the stock one and reprogram it without too much hassle as someone did exactly this on the Lancer Register and now offers flashing of Evo AYC controllers to give you various different settings. The AYC on the Evo is basically the same setup as the Haldex 4wd system except it controls power from left to right rather than front to rear.

Im actually amazed noone has tried this yet as from what I can see on some of the Audi/VAG Ecu flashing forums there are some very very clever people doing some seriously cool stuff with the stock ECU's such as adding in launch control and anti lag.

If I was as clever as some of these people I would deffo be looking into a way to tinker with the Haldex controler too !

you would think so wouldnt you