Clutch on a 1998 A3 1.8t AGU help

ScottScodude30

Reaction score
Anyone kindly help me I got to change clutch on my A3 tomoz and is there any short cuts to save time to do it? Do both drive shafts have to be disconnected? Or can they stay in? Is there enough room without removing them?

Is there anything else that could stay on that does not need to be disconnected? Or is there any points to help me do this? Is it worth doingflywheel? Got a single solid conversion flywheel but if I can get away with not changing it then I’d like to leave dual in there, would appreciate any help with this matter?

Last edited by a moderator:
the drive shafts definatley have to come off the box needs to come off aswell i personally did this a few weeks ago i had to unbolt the drivers side driveshaft cup (the part that the drive shaft actualy bolts onto) its held in with one allen bolt iirc and then we didnt have much trouble after that

do you mean the garbox end where the spline bolts are or hub end? so you only disconnected drivers or both? im trying to save time mate as got to do it in a afternoon in about 5 hours

tha doesnt help me thought it was a online manual but it isnt im in middle of doing it now just wanted some help from some of you as thought i would get some advice

Ah, with you... removing a gearbox is a fairly straight forward mechanical job...

Basics are.... Disconnect the battery, pop off the gearchange cable ends and unbolt the gearlinkage from the gearbox case, unbolt anything else that is connected to the gear box like the cable to the starter and starter motor itself... unplug the speedo sender wiring, undo the clutch slave cylinder, undo the ball joints to the hub carrier and then undo the bolts holding the driveshafts to the gearbox flanges... this allows them to be pulled away from the box, support the engine from a jack underneath or an engine support hoist...

Remove box...

<tuffty/>