Overcharged for simple work?

Keefy

Reaction score
Just a quick gauge of repair costs here.

My AMK S3 failed it's MOT this morning due to a split outer CV boot and excessive play in a ball joint. I've been quoted £19+VAT parts and 1.5 hours labour for the boot and £38+VAT parts plus half an hour's labour for the ball joint.

Does this seem about right? I'm a bit of a spaz with spanners so there's no way I'm attempting the work myself.

Sounds right for genuine parts... only thing I would be questioning realistically is the extra 0.5hrs labour for the ball joint.. as they need to undo it to get to the drive shaft boot so arguably a 5 min job to swap that part over while its apart...

Should say though that you may need to get an alignment check after as the S3 ball joints are adjustable so chances are it will throw out the camber/tracking a bit when they refit even if they have marked the position...

<tuffty/>

Cheers, I'll ask them about the extra half hour. Gonna ring around for quotes I think as labour's working out at about 120 quid.

******' cars!

Your in Bristol?? Go over to Bill! Simples :)

Do the CV boot yourself £15 on the bay and you get the cone tool to do it.
Took me about 45 mins to do.
Dont buy the split CV boot its a ****** nightmare.

opps sorry didnt see the bit about spanners.
Kwik fit (the biggest rip off of all) wanted 45 to do the boot

How is the KF price the biggest rip off?

By your prices in the first post, the boot is £15+vat + 1 1/2 labour = roughly £113, were as Kwik Fit want £45 all in?

Or have i misunderstood?