Volks AutosJMB Retrofits
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    burns3's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    223

    Very slow mtm spec s3

    Test drove a 2001 mtm tuned s3 yesterday and it was as slow as my 250 bhp s3, it's meant to be 345 bhp but definately wasn't so was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what problem it was suffering from cos other than that and the brakes making a noise I liked it.
    Sure I have seen it on one of the Audi forums for sale last year aswel, registration was ow51xxx

    Cheers

    Iain
    Last edited by voorhees; 18th June 2012 at 22:09. Reason: Part reg removed

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    rhubarb4's Avatar
    Certified Jardo Slayer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    1,715
    Best thing to do would be to get it scanned for faults bud.
    <img src=http://cdn.as-static.com/vb/images/smilies/scared2.gif border=0 alt= title=Scared2 class=inlineimg />
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    i wear ladies underwear to work.

  4. #3
    voorhees's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leafy Warwickshire
    Posts
    14,890
    How was you driving it ?

  5. #4
    rhubarb4's Avatar
    Certified Jardo Slayer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    1,715
    With his hands and feet I hope
    <img src=http://cdn.as-static.com/vb/images/smilies/scared2.gif border=0 alt= title=Scared2 class=inlineimg />
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    i wear ladies underwear to work.

  6. #5
    burns3's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by rhubarb4 View Post
    With his hands and feet I hope
    That is correct haha, the lad who's car it is wanted me to have a go of it cos he didn't like the clutch but I found it no problem anyway.

    Vagcom is where I told him to start at with the problem hunting aswel I just thought someone who already had an mtm spec s3 may have had a power loss problem before and could of gave me some advice so I could maybe help him out and possibly do a deal on the car sooner . I don't want to be buying a car that I will have problems with when mine is working perfectly fine though so I will just hold tight for the time being then.

    Cheers anyway

  7. #6
    rhubarb4's Avatar
    Certified Jardo Slayer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    1,715
    Stacey on here has a MTM spec S3 give him a pm he may shed some light on it.

    Chris.
    <img src=http://cdn.as-static.com/vb/images/smilies/scared2.gif border=0 alt= title=Scared2 class=inlineimg />
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    i wear ladies underwear to work.

  8. #7
    Benjiman46's Avatar
    R-Tech Terrorist

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Worksop
    Posts
    547
    Maybe it's a fake MTM?.. Just a remapped S3.. You can buy an MTM badge for about £20 on ebay, and as far as I can remember they look the same under the bonnet... Just a thought

    1.8 litre porsche eater!

    R-Tech Terrorist Squad - 265bhp & 275lbft

  9. #8
    Westy's Avatar
    Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire sometimes Hertfordshire
    Posts
    17,272
    Probably a real MTM but personally I'd steer clear of it.

    The MTM kit on an S3 is so prehistoric compared to today tuning methods and they often end up with expensive bills to fix, Stacey will 2nd this.

    - They kept standard side mount intercoolers which were not up to the job of cooling the charge air from the bigger turbo
    - The boost was turned up with the MTM map but the OE rods weren't changed. Rods are a frequent issue on these old engines now.
    - The MTM exhaust mani had a common fault where it would crack at the weld where it was cut and welded to make the German left hand drive kit fit the UK right hand drive car.

    I'm sure there is more but cant think of them right now, but I'd leave it.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread







  10. #9
    burns3's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjiman46 View Post
    Maybe it's a fake MTM?.. Just a remapped S3.. You can buy an MTM badge for about £20 on ebay, and as far as I can remember they look the same under the bonnet... Just a thought
    This had crossed my mind but it had an mtm engine cover aswel and massive Porsche brakes and I'm pretty sure an external waste gate so looked like it could have been a k26 on it.

    This car was for sale on audisrs.com last year if anyone knows anyone on there.

    Will try pm Stacey aswel when I get back home too cheers chris

  11. #10
    burns3's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Probably a real MTM but personally I'd steer clear of it.

    The MTM kit on an S3 is so prehistoric compared to today tuning methods and they often end up with expensive bills to fix, Stacey will 2nd this.

    - They kept standard side mount intercoolers which were not up to the job of cooling the charge air from the bigger turbo
    - The boost was turned up with the MTM map but the OE rods weren't changed. Rods are a frequent issue on these old engines now.
    - The MTM exhaust mani had a common fault where it would crack at the weld where it was cut and welded to make the German left hand drive kit fit the UK right hand drive car.

    I'm sure there is more but cant think of them right now, but I'd leave it.


    Yeah don't want to buy someone else's problems and I know cars this age can have quite a few, it was meant to have the pistons and conrods uprated but suppose anyone could say that.

  12. #11
    voorhees's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leafy Warwickshire
    Posts
    14,890
    I asked how you drove it because I know my remap breaks your neck early doors,this MTM one maybe a lot smoother so you wouldn't get the kick

  13. #12
    burns3's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    I asked how you drove it because I know my remap breaks your neck early doors,this MTM one maybe a lot smoother so you wouldn't get the kick
    I know what you mean about not getting the kick my mapped k04 has but it took longer to get to let's say the speed limit aswel and that was revving it higher than I would ever do in my car.

    Still get what your saying but think something else was the issue

  14. #13
    voorhees's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leafy Warwickshire
    Posts
    14,890
    Quote Originally Posted by burns3 View Post
    I know what you mean about not getting the kick my mapped k04 has but it took longer to get to let's say the speed limit aswel and that was revving it higher than I would ever do in my car.

    Still get what your saying but think something else was the issue
    Gotcha,could be a number of problems,I'd guess clutch but best is to just walk away or run

  15. #14
    burns3's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    Gotcha,could be a number of problems,I'd guess clutch but best is to just walk away or run
    Clutch was either on or off being a paddle clutch and was really light I thought but yeah think best to steer clear, pity though cos looked lovely with the Porsche wheels and brakes.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. knocking sound when driving very slow, more noticable backwards..
    By coyle in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 26th November 2010, 16:37
  2. Please help, very slow s3!
    By brys3 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2nd July 2010, 18:16
  3. Forum very very slow?
    By ian52 in forum Site Support & Announcements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19th January 2010, 01:49
  4. Very Slow pickup TDi Tip Quat - Gbox or Turbo ?
    By RogerTDI in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30th September 2008, 16:46
  5. Site very slow to load of late?
    By nky_84 in forum Site Support & Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29th October 2007, 17:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO