Wonder why my sound system is garbage!

karl210

Reaction score
Ive been wondering why only my front speakers work if if there is supposed to be a sub then where is the small amount of bass?
Only got the car last week so still learning my way around it, i pulled the passenger side boot...ermmm thing off to reveal a sub and a load of unattached wires :uhm: which looks like have been disconnected from an amp.
Where is the amp supposed to be? im guessing the amp powers the rear speakers too hence why there not working, only thing is the wires look aftermarket and say fli on them, any ideas?

its the symphony if that helps

Amp is built in to the sub.it powers the sub itself and rear speakers,it's a non fault on them so sounds like it might have failed and someone made a half ***** attempt at fixing it or trying to by pass it.

got the sub and amp out and theres no visable signs of it failing, the guy i bought it off said it worked intermittently so was hoping for a loose connection somewhere but all seems fine :( are there any electrical wiring diagrams on here? mabie i can bypass the rear amp and run the speakers off the headunit for a little bit more sound.

Pm andymac mate he's the resident sound man on here and should be able to guide you.

If the amps built in... In my a3 Quattro there an amp in the opposite side boot panel? Was it possible that the previous owner had a aftermarket stereo and just quickly installed the original for the sale?

I've got the 6cd Bose in my s3 and it's rubbish too yet all the speakers work as I've switched balance and fader front, rear, left, right......

Just buy a replacement sub off ebay they go for about £20. You can't rewire the rears to the HU as no stock Audi HU's have an output for rear speakers.
Is the wiring to the sub intact? or has it been butchered?

all the wiring is looks fine, there just seems to be additional wiring, I will get a multimeter on it to see if its still connected or if its been butchered behind the headunit for the aftermarket system. Will it definately be the sub then and not the amp? cheers

The amp is inside the sub. If they've tapped into the wiring and it's been left connected then it could have shorted as there is a permanent live on that loom and also the speaker outputs for the rears which would easily destroy the amp if they shorted on the chassis or each other.

The aftermarker wiring that has been put in it isnt tapped into the origianal wiring well as far as i can see in the boot anyway.
All the connectors was taped up so i dont think anything would have shorted. Whats the best ways of testing each with a multimeter? thanks

If the wiring is intact chances are they just haven't connected it at the HU, maybe had an aftermarket HU before and they just quickly put the original back in. Easiest way to check is get a 12v testing screwdriver or multimeter and check the red plug is getting permanent live and 12v on the remote on wire when the HU is turned on.
A3subloompinouts.jpg

James TQ - you have the Bose system which is why you have another amp in the drivers side

I have a question, my s3 has the Bose 6 cd in dash jobby and it is seriously rubbish! Is there something wrong with mine or just me expecting too much from an old car........

Just to add I have checked all speakers working by switching balance, fader, left, right front rear ect ect.

Cheers, Sean

No the Bose system is particularly shyte in the 8L A3. Really woolly rumbly bass
Are you sure someone hasn't swapped the speakers out at some point?
You can improve it by disconnecting the earth to the Bose pin on the back of the HU, this gives you back a lot more control of the bass & treble, or upgrade the sub which has a dramatic effect.