AH FabricationsVolks Autos
    Bwah

Status

Standard S3 turbo/exhaust system. Common blow points?

Hey oop all

I get a fairly loud grumble/rumble when putting the car under load at low revs (before turbo starts to spool)

First instinct is that the exhaust is blowing somewhere

Has anyone had this 'orrid rumble/grumble from their car?
    I may be hearing things but it sounds like its coming from under the bonnet... so obviously i'm thinking downpipe/turbo exh housing flange or manifold.

Are there common weakpoints on these areas at all?

Car hasnt been dicked about with massively. Its std bar a B5 TIP/JR cone in std airbox and an 008. I would like to get it a stg 1 revo or r-tech map but want it tip top before I start turning up the heat so to speak.

muchos gracias
    Dave

2001 AMK Dolphin Grey S3

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Most go at the turbo/mani gasket... the turbo/mani bolts back off over time due to heat cycling and the looseness then promotes blow by the gasket... common as hell

Only other place they tend to go is the flexi on the DP... if its gone there then just fit a 3" and be done...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    Dont know if its the same noise or not but since fitting my Jetex induction kit i get a bit of a throaty rumble from under the bonnet when i start to rev the car nothing its sounds quite mean lol.
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

Maz
    Moon is made of green cheese

Status
    I think it's a side effect of having the B5 TIP and open cone fitted but in a good way, I actually like it!

Mineral Grey [
    AMK
    ]

Status
    i dont have a B5 Tip just a silicone one but it defo gives it more of a growl at low revs with the cone filter

i did have a quick look at hiding it inside the OEM airbox whilst in was doing the N249 delete over the weekend but decided i would keep the kit as is and that way i can put it back to standard in necessary. Just gotta make some sort of heat shield like i have seen on others.
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status
    Is the sound a bit like a deep gargle (oo errr)? If so mine does this. I've got a 3" d/p to go on soon so I hope that cures it. How hard is it to change the turbo/manifold gasket..?
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+
    > 205 GTI (90) - Limited Edition Miami Blue with full leather - 1 of only 300 made
    > Clio v6 255 (05) - Lethal Weapon

View: My S3 diary

Bwah

Status
    Aaah didnt suspect the JR and TIP.

Here is a scenario... imagine you are pootling along in 3rd gear, low revs. Then put foot to floor. Obviously there is no power band so the engine labours till revs / boost picks up.... Its this point I get this grumble / rumble noise

It's now making me paranoid and now I'm thinking im losing power as a result.

2001 AMK Dolphin Grey S3

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    That sounds like induction noise to me... its the same sorta noise they make on the dyno as Bill loads the car up for a run...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Status
    i notice it most in first gear if i have the window down and i start to pull away it makes the grumble tioll the revs pick up and then it makes the wooshing air moving noise.

Not noticed it in higher gears but guess thats cos wind noise is higher etc will see if it does on my way home tonight as am still seeing if the N249 delete i did has made any difference.

Status
    Just to add to this i listened on my journey home after work and the growl i get is if i am below 2k in any gear and holding a constant speed and then accelerate i get this noise until the revs go past 2k.

mine is defo related to the induction kit, so Schlaag perhaps to confirm this you could de-stealth your airbox setup and see if the growl gets louder as this should confirm the jetex B5 combo as the source.