Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
    JBL
    Reverse Gear

Status

The missis has broke my seat...help!!

Hi all,

Just as im getting somewhere near the end of the long list i created to get the car mint my missis has broken the lever on the passanger seat nearest the door that allows you to put the seat forward to get into the back. I know you can make the seat go forward from the other side of the seat but its a pain in the arse and im a bit ocd and want everything to work. Has anyone ever fixed this problem? anyone know how to fix the problem? They are the standard Recaros blue alcantara and black leather. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Quick fix would be not to let the missis in the car, but needs must and all that!

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    I would contact recaro uk directly, they're a very helpful bunch, I'm sure they'd sort a replacement lever for you.

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    Ban her! But yeah I guess recaro would be the one?
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...

JBL
    Reverse Gear

Status
    cheers, yea i thought i'd try contacting recaro, but shes snapped the lever at a point inside the seat that i cant actually see so am thinking i may need the whole mechanism that moves the seat. Havnt had a chance to get the seat out as yet and am working away at the moment which is a pain. Anyone taken one of these seats apart and know if accessing that area of the seat is difficult? Also if its possible to replace just that mechanism? cheers

2nd Gear

Status
    Mines the same mate I called recarro about my seat as well

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    Hi all,

Just as im getting somewhere near the end of the long list i created to get the car mint my missis has broken the lever on the passanger seat nearest the door that allows you to put the seat forward to get into the back. I know you can make the seat go forward from the other side of the seat but its a pain in the arse and im a bit ocd and want everything to work. Has anyone ever fixed this problem? anyone know how to fix the problem? They are the standard Recaros blue alcantara and black leather. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Quick fix would be not to let the missis in the car, but needs must and all that!

Cheers
    If you can't get hold of Recaro for whatever reason, any Audi Dealership or VW Dealership will sell you the new lever part for for the seat for about £10.00 on average. Mine snapped on my passenger seat side, funnily enough caused by my missus also - called up TPS and had a new one the next day.

cheers, yea i thought i'd try contacting recaro, but shes snapped the lever at a point inside the seat that i cant actually see so am thinking i may need the whole mechanism that moves the seat. Havnt had a chance to get the seat out as yet and am working away at the moment which is a pain. Anyone taken one of these seats apart and know if accessing that area of the seat is difficult? Also if its possible to replace just that mechanism? cheers
    The plastic lever itself is quite long, and extends pretty far into the inside of the housing for the mechanism. There are two parts to the lever that commonly break:
    - The plastic itself, just gets old and tired and cracks leading to it breaking off
    - A small metal cone shaped clip that sits just inside the end of the plastic lever to locate it to the mechanism

It's VERY unlikely that the actual mechanism has been damaged in any way - to check for sure though, grab yourself a torch and look inside the housing for the mechanism. Any cracks or damage to the metal arm itself will be very noticeable if they're present.

When buying the replacement part from Audi/VW/TPS, you get both of the above pieces included in the set, to make sure you're covered in the event of either breaking. So you should be fine.
    Last edited by AJD S3; 18th June 2012 at 10:24. Reason: Extra Info.

JBL
    Reverse Gear

Status
    nice mate, seems the birds are the common fault here! cheers for the detailed reply, appreciate it. Will get onto it as soon as home, ill post how i get on.

3rd Gear

Status
    hope you get a cost effective repair, as for the misses, put her in the back!

2nd Gear

Status
    nice mate, seems the birds are the common fault here! cheers for the detailed reply, appreciate it. Will get onto it as soon as home, ill post how i get on.
    No problem. Let me know if you need any part numbers and i'll grab them for you.

R-Tech Terrorist

Status
    Sell it!!!

As for the car... I would have thought Audi could sell you some sort of kit? Worth a try..

1.8 litre porsche eater!

R-Tech Terrorist Squad - 265bhp & 275lbft

New S3 Owner... Tips Welcome!

Status
    JBL, exact same problem! misses broke mine last week haven't got round to fixing it yet! lemme know how you get on

AJD S3 if you have the part numbers that would be fantastic
    [SIGPIC]

JBL
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AJD S3 View Post
    No problem. Let me know if you need any part numbers and i'll grab them for you.
    Yea if thats not to much trouble that would be helpful, saves getting the wrong part. Would it be the same part number at audi / vw / tps etc?

2nd Gear

Status
    Yea if thats not to much trouble that would be helpful, saves getting the wrong part. Would it be the same part number at audi / vw / tps etc?
    No problem, and yes the part number will be the same for all - they all use the same parts database known as ETKA.

The part number for mine was - 8L3881633A1YE

My Recaros are cream though, so this part number is for a cream coloured replacement part. Chances are that the above part number will be one character different for each alternative colour. If you call up VW/TPS/Audi and give them this part number though, and then explain that you need it in Black/Grey or whatever, they'll easily locate the correct part for you.

JBL
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AJD S3 View Post
    No problem, and yes the part number will be the same for all - they all use the same parts database known as ETKA.

The part number for mine was - 8L3881633A1YE

My Recaros are cream though, so this part number is for a cream coloured replacement part. Chances are that the above part number will be one character different for each alternative colour. If you call up VW/TPS/Audi and give them this part number though, and then explain that you need it in Black/Grey or whatever, they'll easily locate the correct part for you.
    Cheers for the part number, i had a look in the seat as best i could with a torch when i was home at the weekend, if i lifted the catch on the other side of the seat i could see the mechanism moving but couldn't see anything that the end of the plastic lever would slot onto? So am guessing that maybe shes bust the metal cone shaped clip you said about? is that replaceable without taking the seat apart?

2nd Gear

Status
    Cheers for the part number, i had a look in the seat as best i could with a torch when i was home at the weekend, if i lifted the catch on the other side of the seat i could see the mechanism moving but couldn't see anything that the end of the plastic lever would slot onto? So am guessing that maybe shes bust the metal cone shaped clip you said about? is that replaceable without taking the seat apart?
    As I said before, the actual metal lever for the mechanism is really far into the side of the housing. If you look at the old clip that broke off, you can see just how long it reaches. If the cone/triangular shaped fixing is missing, then this comes with the set anyway, so it will be replaced.