Reliable 300 bhp?

Jpd89

Reaction score
I am now in the process of buying my friends S3, I had some very useful posts in my original thread so thankyou for the help so far! However I am now wondering what I would need for a reliable 300bhp. From what I've read/been told ;

Badger 5 tip w/jetex
xs mani/decat or sportscat/3" dp
decent custom live map
Fmic

Would this be enough? Also, I can't really find much regarding con rods. I know they need replacing with stronger rifle drilled ones, but when? Is it only a problem on high power cars? Or is it a case of do it as soon as you can afford it so you don't regret it later? The engine was rebuilt 50k ago when the cambelt went so hopefully should be fairly strong still?

To get 300bhp, on top of your list you will need a hybrid turbo, bigger injectors, and if you want it to last, forged rods.

There is no set point at which rods are needed, but at 300bhp it's a case of when, not if they're going to go!

Thanks prawn, is a hybrid worth it or should I just go all out and a garret etc? What injectors are most commonly used?

How much should I set aside for forged rods? £500 fitted? I really have no clue!

To get 300bhp, on top of your list you will need a hybrid turbo, bigger injectors, and if you want it to last, forged rods.

There is no set point at which rods are needed, but at 300bhp it's a case of when, not if they're going to go!

I agree with prawn, you could have a reliable 270 bhp with the mods you stated but I think anything above 270 you need to be changing the turbo and internals set up...... Don't think it's going to be cheap!

Sean

We have seen std engines bend rods, and some people running 350 allegedly without problems.

I say always budget for rods if you plan on going further, peace of mind is cheap at half the price

If it were me, I'd go the extra and just fit a T25 or T3 framed turbo. You have to do rods anyway so it'll all be apart. Do it once and do it right. Hybrids seem to really hit and miss. Even the benefit of using the OEM downpipe and manifold aren't really a benefit because both of these are usually replaced... Don't get me wrong, fitting a GT28 or GT30 isn't a walk in the park either but the rewards will always be better.

We have seen std engines bend rods, and some people running 350 allegedly without problems.

I say always budget for rods if you plan on going further, peace of mind is cheap at half the price

A mate of mine ran ~400 on a 2.0/GT28 for around 40,000km here in Aus. He was using it for drags quite a bit too. He's adamant it's all in the delivery and mapping but like you say, it's peace of mind. I'd hate thinking every time I nailed it, "this might bend the rods".

Ok, well I will put a fairly high priority on rods then as I'd rather not have to worry! I'm unsure about hybrid or not, is the price difference a lot between going hybrid or something bigger? I'd also like to know I can chase big power should I wish to at a later date but the hybrid is maxed out at about 330bhp isn't it? As mentioned, I'd rather do a job properly once then have to go back again later.... Tough decisions!

How much bhp you after.....? 300+ in an s3 is going to fly by any standards. 330 bhp and you will be leaving just about everything standing if your a half decent driver! Also forgetting something here, uprated clutch?

Prawns got this one to a tee.

Clutch recommended though and check engine mounts as they won't last long at increased engine torque as the engine will want to dance.

To run 300ish is expensive. You'll need deep pockets. Probably won't around £6k on mine once you add transmission / handling / braking mods to allow you to actually use the power to good effect .

Totally agree with jimgrim....... As a ball park figure I thought 6k , by that point you might aswell go Audi s3 8p 2007 with custom code remap stage 1 and your at 315 bhp .

And lol,engine dance !

What's the standard clutch good for? Think I'll leave the turbo upgrade until brakes/coilovers/poly bushing/mounts are all uprated! Are bigger injectors required on standard ko4 turbos or not? Completely new to forced induction tuning so have got lots to learn!

The only thing you need to know is it's Gunna cost ya lol!

And iv heard of standard clutch slipping on just remaps alone....... So 255 bhp

Brakes coil overs polys ect..... £1250 ish fitted for good setup and take your time and do your research. Best place for s3 work is badger 5 in Gloucester , posts on here , or jbs in Chesterfield call either of them for products advice and service.

Do a search on here for anything you want here are thousands of posts for everything.

What's the standard clutch good for? Think I'll leave the turbo upgrade until brakes/coilovers/poly bushing/mounts are all uprated! Are bigger injectors required on standard ko4 turbos or not? Completely new to forced induction tuning so have got lots to learn!
there is no set limit to what its 'good for', a bit like rods. depends on far too many factors. welly on here has, or should i say had, 445hp and was using a standard clutch, he's just had the clutch out and its in great nick.

there has been a few people trying to get the standard ko4 to 300hp. and it seems it CAN be done, but requires more than your average mods to do it (wmi, large port head, inlet mani etc etc) and what they are finding is that the injectors, and the standard in tank pump, arent quite up to it. so if you want to try for 300 out of the ko4, then factor in some injectors like 550's (which will fuel for a hybrid ko4).

the way i see it, if you have alot of spare cash, say at least 5-6k, then go for a garrett or similar upgrade.

if you dont, do the modding gradual in which case make use of standard fitment stuff i.e ko4, hybrid ko4, gt eliminator. because this can be done gradually and doesnt require an off the road build and a great lump of money spent at once.

Yeah I think I should probably do more gradual mods and just enjoy the car as it is rather than plan everything before I even own it! First mod will be b5 tip, already has a map which will do until later on when a custom one is in order!

Suspenion is also an important one for me, do many decent sets of coilovers pop up on here for sale? Going from a solid clio to a boaty s3 will take some getting used to! Although it would be nice not to destroy my spine every time I drive over a pebble!

Been eyeing some fully adjustable weitec, so can go full stiffness on track and medium day to day. If its £1250 for coilovers brakes and polybushing I'd be pretty happy!

Weitec and KW are made from the same company aint they? But honestly, if you want to keep this car for some time then do it all right once.. When my car hits 200k i want to give it the complete overhaul with rods etc because im not getting rid of this car for some years now and i think it deserves it at that mileage anyhow! Keep money in your pocket, the s3 is like an extra woman, money grabbing!

I eventually want to go the hybrid route but funds just wont allow at the moment, im slowly building up my mods though. Really need to concentrate on braking and handling first as standard brakes are like cheese.

Chris.

I eventually want to go the hybrid route but funds just wont allow at the moment, im slowly building up my mods though. Really need to concentrate on braking and handling first as standard brakes are like cheese.

Chris.

Brembo's chris ;) I've got ds2500's on mine and it's like hitting a wall!