A Few S3 questions

Roots

Reaction score
so, i've been browsing pistonheads / autotrader, and a few select forums, and have decided that for my next car, the S3 ticks all my boxes, but i have a few questions, that i have searched for the answer, but nothing seems to come up, so if you kind people would help me with some info, that would be massively appreciated :)

1) How fast is a stage 1 / stage 2 S3? ie what cars would it upset / surprise? I want something that'll leave a few cars at the "traffic light" strip (i dont race, but every now and then, you get the urge to want to embarass people :))

2) what are these like for parts? brakes etc? are they expensive, as audis in general are classed as "expensive motors" to run

3) are there any nagging issues to look out for with some of the 100k+ cars

4) What wheels can you run on these? is it a case of keeping the tyre profile identical as they're 4wd? but you can space the rears out should you want to do so?

Thank you for reading and answering (if you do :haha: )

Cheers
Chris

Hi roots,

They are great cars. Once I sold my m3, I wanted a hatchback and went for the s3 a few years back.

1) standard at 210/225 they feel quite heavy/sluggish but always sturdy...primarily down to a fantastically rigid and strong chassis but also the haldex 4wd system. This equates to around 1400kg which, for a small hatchback, is quite heavy. However, at stage 1 or 2 things get interesting. I've never been a fan of stages and always custom coded when new parts go in so....after a simple remap, new tip, airbox/filter and forge dv install at a relatively cheap outlay, you can probably expect around 258bhp. Again, this is subjective at best. Much more gain can be made but after this but the costs go up with it and it equates to much less bangs for bucks and depends on how was you want to take it.

At this level though, you'll surprise many cars as it transforms the standard models drive with far greater urgency. With the s3 though, the beauty is in the way that you can plant the power with little wheel spin once the haldex engages. It means that you are always quick of the line and the car belongs on the fast road/country lanes.

2). Parts aren't expensive really. Vag group means that they are, if anything, plentiful and available. Just avoid Stealerships.

3) the stud pattern means that a variety wheels can be placed onto the vehicle. Check the show my car sticky with everyone's vehicles to see hundreds of forum users s3 / a3 models in one place for this very reason.

Sorry roots 3) is 4)....****** iPad.

3) nagging issues? ....just get a good one and one which has been loved. Mine is now at 134k miles and running sweet but not much left is standard now. When buying check all receipts, servicing, modifications, and look for damage. There are some dogs out there. If you see one, post on here and they guys will check the advert for you.

Hi Chris and good choice with the S3, there is loads of information in the stickys section at the top of the page which will give you performance ideas and problems to look out for. Try to get one with as low miles as you can and make sure it's had the main works done, like Campbelt change and haldex change as these tent to be the pricier items.

There are a lot of fast cars out there now which will surprise a mapped s3, focus STs when mapped are ridiculously quick same with Astra VXRs. BMW diesels like the 335D will destroy a mapped S3 and even DC5 Integras are a struggle when there mid Vtech. Have you seen any you like yet.

Chris.

Jimgrim has hit the nail on the head there!

They need some money chucking at them but then they are a sweet car! Iv had a ridiculous amount of cars the last bein a mapped focus st 262bhp and I'd say with £800 -£1000 you would be laughing at st,Vxr,rx8, Mazda mps scooby wrx in the s3.

Forget getting anywher near an m3 e46 as they are a beast for a rear wheel drive off the lights, and again it's a close one with s2000 or teggy type r as they fly, they are just too light.

All in all buy an s3 spend a grand on it you be at 275 bhp ish , strip it out inside then you have a monster! Or look at tufftys thread he running 360bhp 0-60 in 4.2 that's if money is no object lol

They are a great car , there is something about mine that makes me love it and iv had no end of problems with mine but it's character i suppose . I'm 22 and had 26 cars I'd say the s3 is in my top 4.

Regards, Sean

Cheers for the replies

Thing is with all the vtec stuff theyre quick yeh, but you have to rag it everywhere to get the power out, where i see the vag 1.8t stuff, s3 in particular with more accessible power more of the time. And its normally wet in the uk, giving the 4wd some use, i just connect with jap stuff. Id like to own a car that has a bit of scene / community with it, which the vag scene does in bundles, makes ownership more pleasant.

Im not expecting an m3 killer at all, but something to put boy racers and pretty boys in their place :haha: :)

Im not expecting an m3 killer at all, but something to put boy racers and pretty boys in their place :haha: :)[/QUOTE]

Lol yeh an s3 should do that!

As for Honda dohc vtecs , yeh the torque band power is high in the rev range but you could get a vtec controller and they are so fun to drive....... And the noise

My 3 favourite sounds an ek9 type r splitting into vtec with cams, my old focus st 5 cylinder engine roar and a maserati gran truismo mc sport - YouTube them 3 you won't b disappointed.

I just couldnt bring myself to own a ford :haha:

i do actually like the s3 noise though

Out of my 26 cars owned that was the only ford, drive one you will fall in love. You actually have to drive it though , not just point and squirt like an s3 , boring quattros.

with the right mods and setup, even with standard-ish hardware, the s3 can be a weapon.
but its the same with any car.
i've just this minute drove home in a focus ST, and put it this way, i LOVE getting in my s3 after it

I agree Karl, that's why I own an s3 now lol, but the focus st and rs are a real drivers car and have me grinning from ear to ear every time I get in one.

And 5 cylinder engine noise....... You like?

I agree Karl, that's why I own an s3 now lol, but the focus st and rs are a real drivers car and have me grinning from ear to ear every time I get in one.

And 5 cylinder engine noise....... You like?
they are certainly not a real drivers car lol, its a floaty FWD underpowered 'hot hatch'. not that the s3 is much better in standard form tho!!

the sound is good. my mrs' has a decat and induction kit with large jetex and eibach springs, it does sound great, and doesnt hold the road too badly. But i get in my s3 and its much more involved and planted and quicker, but then it is much more modified.

Floaty....... Mine only had 12k on so was pristine , and was mapped to 262bhp from dealer , also had f1 eagle 2's all-round so handled like a beast on country roads ! I think the st put fear in me if you pushed it too far that's why I loved it.

S3 feels a bit too forgiving if that makes sense......

Without being funny, I'm not sure why you want to want to compare off-the line acceleration to everything else on the road. I thought you said you weren't a racer?

I looked at a load of cars before I bought my S3 (Elise, Focus RS Mk1, E46 M3, S2000, Integra Type R...) and decided on the S3 because:

1. quick enough with a stage 1 map & a few basic mods (which I now have)
2. well-built car that will last in terms of miles and years
3. 4WD system allows power to be used in all conditions (try de-activating the Haldex and see what it feels like in the wet...!)
4. looks classy, not chavvy/showy
5. quality interior
6. practical enough for every day year-round use
7. affordable enough to own & use regularly.

Just couldn't find anything that ticked all of these boxes in the same way and I have to say I don't regret the decision at all. Can I beat everything else off the line? No. Do I care? No. Took it on the 1/4 mile at GTI International last year just to see what 0-60 times I could get and returned a 6.01 and 6.02 in 2 of my 3 runs without really trying, so that's good enough for me.

Focus st a drivers car?
Cant really understand that- id take a mk1 FRS over an ST any day!
And yes....I have drive them both hard :)

OP- if your looking for an S3 I'd have a look in the classified ads here as we are all enthusiasts here and not the run of a mill private seller!as posted previously check out the stickies at the top.

What car would you be replacing? Or is it more of a weekend toy?

It would replace me leon, a 1.8 se 20v non turbo, so a stage 1 s3 is going to be roughly twice the power

Im not a racer, but every now and then want to tool it about lol, i know what i mean :haha:

Those 7 points above are exactly why im looking at the s3, i want:
Comfort
Power
Reliability
Excellent build quality
Nice interior
4wd (because all ive owned is fwd)

lol you will definitely notice the hike in power and in fuel cost :icon_thumright: but its so worth it, as your post above those 7 points sell it for me everytime.

Chris.

i cant wait until i can get the hunt underway, unfortunately that'll be into next year :( only 7 months to wait though :D

lol you will definitely notice the hike in power and in fuel cost :icon_thumright: but its so worth it, as your post above those 7 points sell it for me everytime.

Chris.

Oops, sorry for the dislike and thanks. Was aiming for like and missed it twice!! ****** iPad and big fingers!!!!