AH FabricationsEM Tuning
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    498

    Is there a way to make the wiper arms behave like most other cars?

    I hate the way the wiper arms go down to the scuttle panel then back up a bit! When its raining they park way to far up the screen which looks gaaaay. I know the mk4 golf doesnt do this. Would love to have my wipers acting normally, I've had nothing but bad luck with them to be honest.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Prawn's Avatar
    My other car is a MINI!!!!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    9,069
    Sounds like yours are wrong mate. Mine park at the very bottom. It's just a case of removing the scuttle panel and adjusting how the arm sits on the motor.
    Easy fix
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

    But I know nothing so ignore me.

  4. #3
    Reesy's Avatar
    King of the Mods. Apparently.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,600

    My Social Networking

    Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by doublem_1 View Post
    I hate the way the wiper arms go down to the scuttle panel then back up a bit! When its raining they park way to far up the screen which looks gaaaay. I know the mk4 golf doesnt do this. Would love to have my wipers acting normally, I've had nothing but bad luck with them to be honest.
    Don't have this on mine, suggest your linkages/motor (i'd start with linkages) are on the way out, Vauxhalls are known for their gammy wipers.. I changed some on a corsa that did a similar thing and also on my uncle's Astra

  5. #4
    Reesy's Avatar
    King of the Mods. Apparently.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,600

    My Social Networking

    Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Sounds like yours are wrong mate. Mine park at the very bottom. It's just a case of removing the scuttle panel and adjusting how the arm sits on the motor.
    Easy fix
    I thought this, although surely they wouldn't bounce back if that were the only issue?

  6. #5
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    71
    Mine did this, the previous owner had the linkage changed as it ceased (due to leaking washer jets) so he got another linkage and removed the existing motor and put the two together in rather a hurry, what he didnt do line the linkage up properly so everytime the motor was turned on it did a wipe then bounced back after it had completed its revolution ( know how annoying that can be!)

    What you need to do is remove the linkage/motor from the car (scuttle off, wiper arms off etc) and if the centre bar is straight if not then it will need adjusting

    After sorting mine i typically found this link which may offer some advice on how the linkage should look - VWVortex.com - DIY - Removing the windshield cowl and fixing noisy / squeaky wipers on a MKIV car

    This is for a mk5 golf but the linkages are the same so far as i can tell.

  7. #6
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    498
    Thanks guys! Very much appreciated. It take me a few attempts to get it right but it just isnt quite right. Hopefully, this will also fix another issue I'm having: about 50% of the time when the wipers are on intermittent, they wipe again a fraction of a second after stopping, sometimes it does this about 5 times between stopping. Doesnt matter what speed its on either. Hopefully adjusting it will fix my problems.

    I really hope the photo in that link is in the correct position!

  8. #7
    Prawn's Avatar
    My other car is a MINI!!!!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    9,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Reesy View Post
    I thought this, although surely they wouldn't bounce back if that were the only issue?
    Is the motor had slipped on the arm a bit, then yes, they would come back up a tad.

    The wiper motor only goes in circles, it's the mechanism that creates the up/ down movement. By undoing the centre bolt and moving it on the spline you can even get the wipers to park vertically up the screen, I tested it when messing about with mine trying to do a single wiper that I gave up on.

    Sp yea, just a small slip, or missalignment when fitted could see them going down then back up an inch or so to park
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

    But I know nothing so ignore me.

  9. #8
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    498
    Thanks for all the help guys. Is it at all possible for someone to confirm the part number for what should be the correct linkage for my car? It's a 52 reg facelift A3 tdi quattro. The reason I ask is because I have a feeling mine has been replaced at some point with an incorrect part. It fits in fine, but there seems to be too much travel. When raining it meets the drivers side A pillar of the glass as normal, quite close in fact, then right down towards the scuttle almost touching it and back up about 6 inches or more.

  10. #9
    Prawn's Avatar
    My other car is a MINI!!!!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    9,069
    It's nothing to do with too much travel. It's as I said above, just parking in the wrong place. To the a pillar then also to the scuttle is the correct range of movement. It just needs adjusting.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

    But I know nothing so ignore me.

  11. #10
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    It's nothing to do with too much travel. It's as I said above, just parking in the wrong place. To the a pillar then also to the scuttle is the correct range of movement. It just needs adjusting.
    Ah ok I see now. Because it sits higher up when they get moved closer to the scuttle they will be ok.I think it's going to take a few attempts to get it right. Sorry to be a pain!

  12. #11
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    498
    Does anyone have a photot of the linkage and motor in the correct position? The one in the link is for a RHD car it looks like and just want to get mine right!

  13. #12
    Sam_'s Avatar
    Down under

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin82 View Post
    Mine did this, the previous owner had the linkage changed as it ceased (due to leaking washer jets) so he got another linkage and removed the existing motor and put the two together in rather a hurry, what he didnt do line the linkage up properly so everytime the motor was turned on it did a wipe then bounced back after it had completed its revolution ( know how annoying that can be!)

    What you need to do is remove the linkage/motor from the car (scuttle off, wiper arms off etc) and if the centre bar is straight if not then it will need adjusting

    After sorting mine i typically found this link which may offer some advice on how the linkage should look - VWVortex.com - DIY - Removing the windshield cowl and fixing noisy / squeaky wipers on a MKIV car

    This is for a mk5 golf but the linkages are the same so far as i can tell.
    Handy link! My wipers make some noise so might have to give this a go!
    Handling mods++. GTX30 soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

  14. #13
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    498
    Just looked again and it does in fact show the right orientation. Is this the same for a RHD A3?

  15. #14
    Prawn's Avatar
    My other car is a MINI!!!!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    9,069
    dude, just pull it apart and look at it.

    You won't see it being wrong or right, it'll look the same.

    it's an arm, 50mm long, on an M8 spindle with a spline. it's just a few splines off. nothing to see, it'll look no different when you're done.

    Turn your wipers on, let them park on their own when you turn them off, they'll go down, then back up a tad as you described.

    The motor is then at it's end point. Undo the centre bolt and price the arm off the spline, push your wipers down to where YOU want them to park, then push the arm back over the spline and do up the bolt.

    there really are no more questions to be asked about setting them up, just have a go!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

    But I know nothing so ignore me.

  16. #15
    Prawn's Avatar
    My other car is a MINI!!!!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    9,069
    This bit, this is what you need to reset:

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

    But I know nothing so ignore me.

  17. #16
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    498
    Do I have a faulty wiper motor? I bought one from GSF a few months ago and half the time when on intermittent they continue wiping... I have adjusted the linkage as per the guide and testing the motor on its own (no wiper arms attached) it works as I wanted it.

    However!!!! When the wiper arms are attached it doesn't come back the original rest position, so when the next wipe comes, it goes down then up. As if the arms are causing resistance or not enough power in the motor. I'm trying this with just the ignition on. Don't know what to do

  18. #17
    S3featesV9's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    1,030
    Does sound like either the motor is packing up, or the link arms are seizing up. I've not had it on the Audi, but previous car did this, got new wiper linkages and it kind f solved it. But would still park half way up the window. So got a new motor too and it was all good.

    I think it's just when the linkages become stiffer the motor gets worn out. So unless you catch it early, your probably end having to replace both motor and linkages.
    MODS - Custom Code phase 1, 007p DV, various powerflex bushes, EBC grooved and drilled - red stuff pads, N249 deletion. Badger5 V2 80mm TIP. Scorpion backbox + custom centre section, LCR front splitter, Jetex Fr-08001, R32 rear ARB, Forged IE rifle drilled rods, 20mm rear & 15mm front spacers.

    TO DO - Coilovers, adjustable tie arms, DP/mani/decat, FMIC and new remap


  19. #18
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    498
    So looks like i need to replace motor and get a new linkage?

  20. #19
    Prawn's Avatar
    My other car is a MINI!!!!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    9,069
    search ebay for a used motor and linkage together. I paid £15 for one a few months back
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

    But I know nothing so ignore me.

  21. #20
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    498
    The weird thing is though, when the linkage is unbolted from the motor, it feels pretty free to me. Doesn't exactly feel stiff.

  22. #21
    Prawn's Avatar
    My other car is a MINI!!!!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    9,069
    I still think the adjustment is wrong on the arm. if they're going down, then coming back up again, the motor is moving them up. Undo the nut and pop the arm off, push them down, do the nut up again, and i do not see how they could come back up again.

    the motors only moves in complete circles. One wipe up and down is one circle. yours is just starting in the wrong place!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

    But I know nothing so ignore me.

  23. #22
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    I still think the adjustment is wrong on the arm. if they're going down, then coming back up again, the motor is moving them up. Undo the nut and pop the arm off, push them down, do the nut up again, and i do not see how they could come back up again.

    the motors only moves in complete circles. One wipe up and down is one circle. yours is just starting in the wrong place!
    It was starting in the wrong place. I adjusted the arm to the correct postion so it does one complete rotation as it should be. But once the arms are attached and the wipers on the screen, it doesnt manage a complete rotation, stops dead about 4 inches above where it should. It is as if the resistance from the wipers on screen arent quite allowing a complete rotation. I may try and return the motor and see if thats the issue before trying a new linkage.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What does your rear wiper arm look like inside?
    By Lewis90 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 8th June 2012, 08:40
  2. Is there a way of making these tyres and alloys fit
    By AudiSBE in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 30th May 2012, 21:10
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18th February 2011, 18:57
  4. Is there a way of having an iPod lead and cd changer connected at the same time?
    By Az in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16th January 2011, 10:29
  5. Salt makes the roads greasy
    By Drystone in forum Other Brands & Models
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 27th February 2003, 15:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO