Aaaarrggggh - the creak! Advice please!

mdl

Reaction score
Hi - had my car serviced by Audi in Jan and the guys said i needed my front ARB replacing soon as they saw a small crack - I'd never noticed but thought I'd book it in anyway as am under warranty. Managed to get it done by Audi Battersea in May and as i drove out, i heard a very slight creak from front left wheel. Didn't think too much of it and assumed that their repairs were bedding in.
Anyway, it got worse... much worse so i phoned them up to book it in - then had to wait 3 weeks for an appointment (today) which is where the car is at the mo...

I had a bit of a dig at them this morning when i dropped the car off saying i shouldn't even be here today if they'd done the repair right first time etc etc - managed to get a grunt out of them but not a sniff of an apology (surprise surprise!)

So then guys... any idea what the problem is?
Any probing /awkward questions i should ask?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

a 'small crack'? Surely if the ARB fails, it would snap in two. Not that I've ever heard of this happening I'm sure it must be possible. Could it have been the drop links they were talking about? They go on the VAG front end.

Oh this is a maddening issue isn't it?

Well my car is being collected tomorrow evening by the dealership to investigate the creaking suspension. They said over the phone that they thought that the likely culprits were either the ARB or the bushes drying out and most likely a combination of the two so that they would replace both if necessary (under warranty so as far I'm concerned they can replace as much as they like).

Actually, to stray off topic a second, I'm rather impressed by the dealership. They are driving across London to collect my car and drop off a courtesy car which I can then keep for as long as it takes them to isolate the problem, order in the parts and fit them. Then they'll redeliver my car and collect the courtesy car. I'm liking this treatment! Let's hope they do a good job on the creaking too.

Well then Teatray, I've just this minute had a call from Audi and apparently it's the 'drop arm' that needs replacing now. So you might want to get them to take a look at that whilst they're at it!

I find with the courtesy car situation and living in London it's just not worth the hassle to get the car and then have to sort out a flippin parking permit for the duration of it's stay. Last time i got a courtesy car though me and a mate did a 'Ferris Bueller' (ie threw a sickie) down to the south coast - shame it was an standard A4 Avant but never mind eh?

Cool thanks - I'll mention it.

Fortunately I don't have the parking problem as my flat is in one of those Docklands gated compounds with reserved parking spaces. Makes life much easier as can park any car I like there so long as it's only the one car!

Right well my car's had a new ARB and associated bushes replaced which they tell me has cured the creaking problem. Nothing wrong with the drop-arm allegedly. We shall see whether this is the case when i go and collect the car on Saturday.

How's yours now the drop-arm has been replaced?

Funny you should ask!
I'm still waiting to get it back...! Got a call from them on Monday saying they'd need to order the drop arm, another callTuesday saying they'd been sent the part but it was the wrong one... replacement due on Wednesday.... got a call on Wednesday claiming that the technician (or whoever) decided that although the creak had gone and they'd replaced a number of parts, but they couldn't be sure they'd eliminated the problem. Therefore they needed to order something else and apparently it should be ready for collection Friday eve...

So now they will have had the car for 5 days - i could have picked it up last night and tested it over the weekend and booked it back in for the final part next week if i wanted to but i thought sod it, i'll wait till Friday.

Luckily I didn't need it really this week so i'm not too put out... though if i don't have it by friday i will be a little less reasonable!

Glad to hear yours is sorted - I'm expecting whole new front near side suspension to be replaced...

Actually - just wondering, reckon they'll be doing both sided or just the one - i'd have thought they shd be doing both (bit like renewing tyres) but if they only do one, will the cause a problem... any ideas?

Cheers