My first post after reading many others on here regarding the seemingly common 'knocking noise' from the front of my S3.
- I hear the knock when turning either left or right.
- Once it's knocked turning right, it won't do it again until turning left.
- It doesn't knock while repeatedly turning on the spot, so I ruled out steering rack (for now).
- If I move sharply from standstill (forward or reverse) with full lock, it knocks.
- While driving, I have to turn fairly sharp to make it knock, although a bump while turning gently seems to trigger the knock.
- The sound is low down, I can feel it through the steering wheel and both front footwells (so through the sub frame)
So basically it requires a certain amount of lateral movement before it will knock.
After reading several threads, I've replaced:
- Front anti roll bar & bushes, as the collars/sleeves had snapped. Fitted a Neuspeed bar with welded metal collars. No luck, so then...
- Top mounts.
- Lower ball joints.
- N/S track rod & end (for some reason there was a thinner A3 track rod fitted). O/S end & drop link also changed recently.
- N/S outer CV joint (this was making a seperate grinding noise, so needed replacing).
IT STILL KNOCKS!
Removed lower engine mount, no sign of excessive wear. No knock when lifting the clutch/changing gear, suggesting the mount is ok.
Removed both front lower arms and inspected bushes - no signs of wear/deterioration.
Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? I've run out of ideas! I need to get the tracking/camber sorted as so much has been replaced but would really like to get to the bottom of the problem before doing so/driving the car.
Thank you very much in advance and also for all the previous posts on this topic, much appreciated!