1.8T flutter

mebrown001

Reaction score
is it normal that wen pressure is released from the turbo it makes a kind of fluttering noise? wasnt sure if it was cus the previous owner put different realse valve or watever it is? cheers

i really hope not. thought u cud get special valves that release the boost in different ways?

they can all still fail if not serviced.

the main types are diaphragm like oem and piston. (diverter valves)

diaphragms and orings can split.

its a simple task of servicing it.

wud this be much of a job if i took it to a garage? cheers mate. (just another ****** thing on the list of things to get sorted on this F***ing car!)

"thought u cud get special valves that release the boost in different ways"

the standard Bosh item is a diaphram and is a diverter valve. it recycles the excess air back into the system.

you can get aftermarket diaphragm valves or piston valves.

then there is Dump valves, which make that awful whoosh, and whilst they are not best suited to the 1.8T, they can be made to work apparently.

stick to an aftermarket diverter valve, and your be able to retain the oem system, and service it, and the car wont know the difference.

ok so is there any chance that the car has already had an after market diverter valve that wud make this fluttering sound? i'm not experiencing any power loss across the range.... would i not experience power loss if it was nackered or worn? cheers bud

quite possible .

if you bought the car like it, you wouldnt know what your missing, or it could have got worse over time.

the fluttering can be caused by split diaphragm or orings and the air blowing past.
other sources are wastegate chatter, but ive never heard it, or seen it,
where as i have heard DV flutter.

OEM dv is approx £15 new. service kits for DV (once you found out if it has been changed, and what it is), should be no more than this.

So i'm hoping wat ur saying mate is that u think its more than likely the DV making the flutter? its been fully seviced by audi and the last was about 6000 miles ago... is this not something they wud check out and or service?

[ QUOTE ]
wud this be much of a job if i took it to a garage? cheers mate. (just another ****** thing on the list of things to get sorted on this F***ing car!)

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is the diverter valve (sounds very much like it) then you can replace it yourself easily - takes about 10 minutes.

I would go for an after market one - loads better quality than the plastic ones that are standard.

Do you have a cone filter or similar aftermarket air intake fitted? The DV can be heard through these when the OE airbox is removed and it sounds just like a loud flutter, as if it were knackered...

If the car is standard and you still have the noise then, as already mentioned here, your DV is probably in need of renewal.

Cheers

Tim

No point at all in getting the garage to do it. The DV is easy to change, located at the top back right of the engine bay (secured with only 2 or 3 hoseclips).

Take a look in the FAQ section on this board, its all covered in there.

Anand

OK thanks for the input guys. very much appreciated. Oh and i went to the garage i got it from today, they are paying for a new air con condensor although its not covered by the warranty and r getting the rear axel suspending arms sorted whether it means replacing the bushes or both the arms. Oh and its having a respray 2 get rid of the scratches from wen it was keyed 4 the previous owner. u reckon i've done quite well outa them? cheers.

hi guys it was the Diverter valve. had to go to audi 2 days in a row cus the dumbasses sed they couldnt find it on the system and they personally didnt think i should buy it without having an hours diagnostics which cost £89.50+VAT. the valve that i got from them is a Bosch 1 and has definitly fixed the problem.

thanks for all ur help!