My new brakes are acting strange

MrTackalakalaka

Reaction score
Hello everyone

About a month ago i changed the brakes on my car. Complete set of new standard discs with Mintex pads. I also gave the callipers a quick clean/service while i was there

All went smoothly, no hard braking for at least 100 miles when i first fitted them and all seemed fine.
This weekend i noticed that when i pressed my foot on the pedal fairly lightly when I'm going slow........it feels like there is a click in the brake pedal and a scraping noise coming from the rear brakes. Almost as if the ABS kicks in a bit. Isn't ABS only in the front discs?

Also if I'm coming up to a junction and start applying the brakes lightly........there is a scraping noise but it only sounds like half the disc is rubbing.

My discs can't be warped already could they? I changed my old discs (dotted and grooved) because they were warped.

When i jacked the car up.......i span both rear wheels.......the near side rubs as much as you would normally expect but the off side rubs quite a bit. When i changed the brakes i made sure the pistons were wound right back as far as they would go. The front discs seem fine.

When i brake the car doesn't seem to pull or anything, no wobbles etc.

Not really sure what it could be.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers
Scott

Have you scanned for faults in the ABS module? sometimes if a sensor or sensor wire is damaged it can falsely trigger the ABS... ABS works on the rears too

<tuffty/>

ive not long had mine done all round, ive got something similar but not as bad and ive been told that its got to go back in when my mates got half an hour be plugged into vagcom and bled by the vcds not just manually ......... could be the same on yours?

if you have put dimpled and grooved disc they make a loud vibration sort of noise with the air been squished in to the dimples, my brakes do that and i thought it was something broken.

on the other hand im properly just talking waffle and im completely wrong.

haha nah I used to have dimpled and grooved discs but have ow gone back to standard :) i know what u mean though, first time out with the grooved discs i thought what the f**k is that noise?

Update:

My rear brakes are getting worse. I have noticed when having the windows up the noise is getting increasingly louder. When I press the brakes......there is no feeling through the pedal, all feels smooth. Unless I'm literally just rolling forward at 0-2 mph (ish) then it feels like something bites and the brake pedal almost feels like its trying to pull away from my foot.
Again......only sounds like part of the disc is rubbing

Anyone ever had this before

The metal guard behind the rear brakes......are these necessary? Can they be taken off.
Ive just seen that they are in a bit of a mess. it looks like the lower arm is making contact with the guards on both sides. I don't think thats whats causing the grinding noise as it only happens when i brake

IMG_2930.jpg