Remap Advice

mike_a3

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have just joined the forum and need some advice, i have come from the jap scene having always owned civic vti's but decided too be a bit more grown up now so have my first turboed car

I have purchased an A3 1.8T, its a great spec 2000 model but has high milage at 178,000, always looked after tho, would it with stand a few bolt on mods and a remap? dont know a great deal about these aug engines, thanks.

It'll be fine mate :)

Your engine code will be AGU btw, probably a typo!

To give you an idea of what's possible:

I bought my AGU totally standard at 124k. I soon added an air filter, and a milltek cat back exhaust. It was cool, but I soon got bored.

At 130k I had the car mapped with Revo stage 1, this took it from 150bhp / 160lbft up to 184bhp / 236lbft, and it felt like a whole new car!

I soon got bored, and thanks a Gordie man named Dave, I started looking at ko3S conversions. I probably spent around £1200 all in on the ko3S swap, including a turbo, turbo inlet, downpipe, FMIC, and a st2 remap from Custom Code. This took the car to around 230bhp and 270lbft, and it flew. This was all done at 150k.

5k after stage 2, the clutch gave up, so I fitted a G60 lightened flywheel and VR6 clutch kit to cope with the extra torque.

I then ran that setup untouched pretty much until 211k, 61 000 miles at stage 2 spec, and aside from a dodgy gearbox, it was great.

I've now upgraded to a ko4 hybrid, a whole new ball game, and it's on 214k, pushing 300bhp (double what it started out with) and still going strong :)

As it's an AGU and ME3.8 ECU, there really is only one place you should be considering for your stage 1 map:

9568fdb7.jpg

R-Tech power in Hinkley, Leicestershire. I don't know where you are in the country, and you may well have tuners that are much more local, but trust me, they're not as good as Rtech when it comes to the AGU! You won't regret it!

I think prawn ha said it all... Where we're you when I first joined? I never got that much info regarding agu engines lol

+1

prawn your car is epic btw!! would love to go shotgun sometime :)

Cheers dude :) As you're in Essex, why not come along to the Ultimate VAG Trackday? Then you can jump in for a passenger ride on track!

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...-hatch-august-bank-holiday-saturday-25th.html

You don't have to sign up to go on track, there will be a few trade stands there, as well as a show n shine contest too!

I think prawn ha said it all... Where we're you when I first joined? I never got that much info regarding agu engines lol

If you really must ask Jay, chances are I was drunk when you joined :p

Been searching for a revo map, tutts of dorking seems too be local to me. I live in horsham, west sussex, is there anywere any one would recomend local too me? thankyou.

I used JKM in portsmouth (Not a million miles from horsham) for my revo remap as thewy were reccommended by some others on here. So i just waited till the next revo offer to come along and booked my car in.

if you must go with Revo, I'd go to JKM near you.

However, whilst revo seems pretty great on ko4 engines, on a ko3 it basically creates a tractor.

Massive bang of torque at 3k as it maxes out the turbo, then completely dead on it's **** by 4.5k.

Plus, looking forward to the future, once you've given revo your money, if you decide to go further in the future, and fit a ko3S or larger turbo, they can't help you at all. they ONLY offer st1 on the AGU.

if you went to Rtech, and spent you £200 on a st1 map, then decided you wanted to go to stage 2 later down the line, you'd only pay another £50 odd to have the st2 done, instead of paying the full £250-300 again to have it custom mapped if you went with revo st1.

I found this out the hard way, spending £400 on Revo st1, only to then spend another £400 on CC2 6 months later when Revo told me they couldn't offer me st2 on the AGU.

That's not to say Revo are bad by any means, but Revo arn't as interested in the older stuff any more.

I loved my Revo map 4 years ago, it felt great, because I'd not driven better, so I had no grounds to complain. I still don't because at the time I was very happy, but times have changed, and I feel there is now a better alternative.

Revo developed their AGU 1.8T map years ago, and at the time I'm sure it was great.

it was put out at £500, then £400, then as their R&D costs have been covered the price starts to fall, £300, and now just £200.

Thing is, the map isn't being developed in this time to keep up with more modern changes in tuning.

Rtech are contantly developing and updating their maps, even for older cars like the AGU. i think Niki is up to gen 6 or 7 or the stage 1 map now, and the results are pretty obvious, with a more linear delivery, and much more top end pull than the older maps seemed to be able to offer

Yea i think prawn is a very helpfull guy, not sure what mines running at op but its got indution kit with boost controller and has had stage1 remap with de-cat system so gotta be at least 180bhp and goes like a rocket and good fun.