Turbo oil leak from seal

Wilts

Reaction score
Over past wk iv noticed abit of blue smoke on cold start up and now know its the oil seal on turbo leaking but oil not goin down so cant be bad, anyway ive been told if i dont give it the beans when cold and let it cool down for a min or so b4 i turn it off the leak shouldnt get any worse for upto 12mths plus is that true? I have seen a new turbo on ebay for £200 so i dont think that was to bad. Any input would be great.:D

Could try putting a little bit thicker oil in mate. I'm gonna try this as I think my seals are going aswell.

Keiran.

What car do you have? model and year as its a little ambiguous at the moment :)

You won't find a decent new turbo on eBay for 200 quid... that will be a chinese copy so you pays yer money you take yer chances...

Proper recon turbos will be from around 400 quid up..

If your seals are leaking then there is no way to determine how long it will last before they go... warm up/cool down procedure is more aimed at preventing the oil from coking up the turbo and blocking the oilways than anything else and won't really make that difference to your seals...

<tuffty/>

So buy a second hand k03 turbo then yea? And mine is a3 1.8T 1997 AGU engine i beleave if that helps.

Right guys i now know theres abit of blue smoke coming out the exhaust everytime i go on boost, not sure if this is really bad but can any1 help or give me some info please, turbo technics in northhampton can replace the seals for £230 that includes pick up and drop off which i fort was good but just cant afford it at the mo.

I dunno what you want us to tell you mate... your turbo is on its way out and burning oil by the sounds... you either continue to drive around with it and wait for it to give up altogether or spend a bit of cash and get it sorted...

Not sure what else to tell you... there is no magic fix... you know you have this problem... you are just gonna have to spend the cash to fix it... sorry

<tuffty/>

Yea i know this fella but gotta wait afew mths b4 i can get it sorted i just wanted to know how bad it will get b4 i know it needs to stay in garage till it gets done, will it just start smoking all the time and while driving not just a buff on boost.

Wouldn't be driving it hard if I were you,just get it sorted as soon as,problem solved

As above really mate... it could go on for years or last 5mins... broken is broken at the end of the day... if you drive it hard and the seals go you could dump a lot of oil very quickly out the exhaust and/or into the charge system... worse case if you don't stop in time you could starve the engine causing bottom end damage...

<tuffty/>

Thanks guys very greatfull for input, im just driving under 3k revs so im hoping it will last till i can get it sorted.

Hey prawn ive sent u a mesg about ya turbo not sure if it sent??